Value of: Ilya Kovalchuk's next NHL contract

kij

Jan 31, 2016
With how Kovy is talking about championships over money, I could see him requesting a 1 year deal and pulling what Hossa did years back jumping from contender to contender, and possibly being a deadline rental if it becomes clear that his current team is not strong enough to truly win it all.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think he’s going to get 3 years. With so many folks saying they’d be okay signing him to a 2 year deal, that suggests the signing edge in a bidding war is going to be tacking on the 3rd year.

I agree with the other opinions that 4 years isn’t realistic.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd like him to play for the Jets, for the Thrashers legacy and if he does want to win the cup.

But realistically speaking Tampa Bay or Los Angeles is my guess.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If he wants a one year deal I wouldn't mind Dallas giving him whatever cap space we'll have left after the rest of our guys are signed. Don't really want more old guys on the team, but a one year contract is almost no risk.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
0% chance that happens. You really think a team like the NYR are going to skip out on a chance to add a very good player/trade chip for free just because he screwed over their rivals like 4 years ago?

NYR have publically announced they are doing a rebuild. Signing a 35 Kovalchuk would be counter-intuitive. Makes no sense.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
After what he did to the Devils, I wouldn't be surprised if every team ignored him just out of principal and respect for the league itself. He's 35 anyway, his best days are behind him. He should have some honour and stay in the KHL rather than jumping ships every couple of years.
LMAO what did he do to the Devils except dragging them to the SCF?

Big revelation to you: profesdional athletes are employees and sign contracts wherever they want. The bunch-o-crap about fake loyalty is absurd in professional sports. 2 sides sit down and work out a deal.

INB4 the stupid tale of Kovalchuk breaking ANY contract. He didn't. If you think otherwise you don't understand how it works.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russian press says - 6 millions with Rangers is almost done, but how long is still in discussion.
«Спорт-Экспресс»: Ковальчук договорился о контракте с «Рейнджерс» на 6 млн долларов (text in Russian)
I would not believe a single word of it. Kovalchuk stated he wants to try winning the Cup. The Rangers are in a full scale rebuild. Kovalchuks own a home in Miami. Actually his family lives there. My guess is that would be a huge factor.

Side note: Kovalchuk cleared up some things. He said he is going for 2-3 years. So much for the term. If teams are willing to throw 6-7 million a year at him I don't know. I wouldn't at this point. Question is if he takes less.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
2 year 6 mill AAV to Toronto

have him and Marleau expire same time when we'll need the money.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Kovalchuk - Nylander - Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen

3 balanced strong lines.

So JVR has a 36 Goal season and you let him slide while Kovalchuk is in his mid 30’s, hasn’t played NHL hockey for 6 years and has a bad reputation and your willing to pay him a the money a prime and proven JVR would deserve..?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
no offense, but I take a word of the newspaper I have been reading for more than 25 years over the word of noname internet user.
The nespaper you read was wrong on numerous occasions. As a long time reader you should know that.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So JVR has a 36 Goal season and you let him slide while Kovalchuk is in his mid 30’s, hasn’t played NHL hockey for 6 years and has a bad reputation and your willing to pay him a the money a prime and proven JVR would deserve..?
Alright, so what's that bad reputation again?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Eronko is not revealing any sources and basically talks about ongoing negotiations. Sounds like hype-bait. Nothing prevents Kovalchuk from negotiating with multiple teams and signing elsewhere on 1st July.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012

It's not the money.. it's the term. If JVR wants a two year deal fantastic! but he's going to want at least 6 seasons and that just doesn't work for Toronto.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
NYR have publically announced they are doing a rebuild. Signing a 35 Kovalchuk would be counter-intuitive. Makes no sense.

Yet there's a report saying he's going to sign with them...

Sure they may be going full rebuild but if you can add a potential 30G scorer for free you do it. If the team is still going to miss the playoffs then you trade him for more prospects/picks.

There's really nothing to lose for the Rangers.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
LMAO what did he do to the Devils except dragging them to the SCF?

Big revelation to you: profesdional athletes are employees and sign contracts wherever they want. The bunch-o-crap about fake loyalty is absurd in professional sports. 2 sides sit down and work out a deal.

INB4 the stupid tale of Kovalchuk breaking ANY contract. He didn't. If you think otherwise you don't understand how it works.

Lou and more specfically VDB wanted to break that contract just as badly as Kovalchuk did.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Lou and more specfically VDB wanted to break that contract just as badly as Kovalchuk did.
To break a contract you have to break rules. No rules were broken. Just because a rarely used option is executed doesn't mean a breach. People just tend to assume what happens "all the time" is the only thing that can pissibly happen.

Btw the retirement option is logical. You can't force a player to play in the end. If he wants out there is a way within the rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad