Value of: Ilya Kovalchuk's next NHL contract

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What does Kovalchuk's next contract look like?

Will he be looking for big money or longer term? He will be 35 this month. Imagine there will be enough suitors with his NHL track record(1.0 ppg in the NHL) that he won't be forced into taking a 1 year prove it deal like Radulov did.

4 years 7.25million AAV reasonable? Too much? Still a very good chance he can score 30Gs and 70pts on a good team.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What does Kovalchuk's next contract look like?

Will he be looking for big money or longer term? He will be 35 this month. Imagine there will be enough suitors with his NHL track record(1.0 ppg in the NHL) that he won't be forced into taking a 1 year prove it deal like Radulov did.

4 years 7.25million AAV reasonable?

He has the track record, but Radulov didn't have the 35+ contract rule weighing him down. 2-3 year contract for Kovalchuk at most IMO, GMs are going to want to see where his endurance is at before risking an unmoveable long-term cap hit.

Reactions: My3Sons

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
After what he did to the Devils, I wouldn't be surprised if every team ignored him just out of principal and respect for the league itself. He's 35 anyway, his best days are behind him. He should have some honour and stay in the KHL rather than jumping ships every couple of years.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He has the track record, but Radulov didn't have the 35+ contract rule weighing him down. 2-3 year contract for Kovalchuk at most IMO, GMs are going to want to see where his endurance is at before risking an unmoveable long-term cap hit.
He said he only wants 2-3 years.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
3 year deal to Washington is my guess. Salary starting somewhere in the $6 million range with bonuses based on games played and overall production.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Kovalchuk has got to be of some intrigue.

deejb

Nov 12, 2016
I wouldn't pay him more than 5*1 or 4*2. One-dimensional player, disappear against strong opponent.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
70-75 point, 20+ min per game workhorse can be worth anywhere between 7-8.

deejb

Nov 12, 2016
Excellent post.... except of course for the fact that the guy has been pretty good in the NHL playoffs in the past.
It was 5 years ago. But even then, he was good on the pp and harmful on es.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
2 year 6 mill AAV to Toronto

have him and Marleau expire same time when we'll need the money.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Kovalchuk - Nylander - Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen

3 balanced strong lines.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I could see the Blues going after him if we miss out on Tavares. 2/12 would be my highest offer.

Kovalchuk-TBA-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Fabbri
Steen-Thomas-Berglund
Barbashev-Brodziak-Soshnikov

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I could see the Blues going after him if we miss out on Tavares. 2/12 would be my highest offer.

Kovalchuk-TBA-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Fabbri
Steen-Thomas-Berglund
Barbashev-Brodziak-Soshnikov

Marty and Kovalchuk were pretty close when they were playing together in Jersey. So that might be a factor.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
After what he did to the Devils, I wouldn't be surprised if every team ignored him just out of principal and respect for the league itself. He's 35 anyway, his best days are behind him. He should have some honour and stay in the KHL rather than jumping ships every couple of years.
0% chance that happens. You really think a team like the NYR are going to skip out on a chance to add a very good player/trade chip for free just because he screwed over their rivals like 4 years ago?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad