Value of: Ilya Kovalchuk to CBJ

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Yeah, young players. However, bear in mind: You must give up an asset to gain an asset. Bjorkstrand has upside potential, and he's worth keeping, but the player you're trying to acquire is Kovalchuk, so to gain an amazing asset, you must give the Devils something amazing in return.

You're overvaluing Kovalchuk then. He's 34 years old now, hasn't played in the league in years, the olympics, nor the World Cup, recently, and doesn't even have a contract in the NHL at the moment.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
You're overvaluing Kovalchuk then. He's 34 years old now, hasn't played in the league in years, the olympics, nor the World Cup, recently, and doesn't even have a contract in the NHL at the moment.

Even Jaromir Jagr at 41 years of age required a 1st pick and two prospects for acquisition. Jarome Iginla was worth the same at the age of 36.

Kovalchuk is a better shooter than Iginla and younger. I find the Bjorkstrand offer sound and fair, as a result.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the Devils are not going to send Kovalchuk to a division rival for like a mid round pick

you Jackets fans are not being rational with that.

I get not wanting to give up a guy like Bjorkstrand but still.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
the Devils are not going to send Kovalchuk to a division rival for like a mid round pick

This Jackets fan agrees with you. But we're being rational in not willing to give up Bjorkstrand for him.

It'll either be a package of a prospect like Milano with a mid-round pick added to him, or a 1st like you mentioned.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

As a fan, I am opposed to doing that. I'm not interested enough in acquiring Kovalchuk (a player I always enjoyed) for that price.

I don't know about Jackets' management. If they did meet this asking price, I would voice my displeasure. Because, what else am I gonna do?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Even Jaromir Jagr at 41 years of age required a 1st pick and two prospects for acquisition. Jarome Iginla was worth the same at the age of 36.

Kovalchuk is a better shooter than Iginla and younger. I find the Bjorkstrand offer sound and fair, as a result.

Forsberg was traded for Erat too. Teams need to be wary of trading young guys with upside and Jarmo loves the young guys and drafting/development. Im assuming the main reason Kovalchuk is even being looked at is because the price will most likely be cheaper due to the circumstances

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Kovalchuk for 2018 1st round pick (CBJ) sounds fair to me, no need to complicate it with the prospects.
Nah thanks, i rather save it as + for Duchene. But i don't wanna see Kovalchuk on this team for any price/asset.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
If it happens it'll be Bjorkstrand, with Kovalchuk and one of the Devils' midround picks going back to CBJ.

That said, I don't think it happens because Kovalchuk probably doesn't want to spend a year or two in Ohio.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
It's rational... the irrational ones are the guys who attack CBJ management and defend Johanson. I just speak in extreme Hyperbole and exaggeration in situations where I know people will get salty and take everything too serious, personal and literal. Look at the idea and reason for what im.saying and not what I'm saying... he was a ****** teammate and employee.

You called Johansen a "combination of Ebola and Aids". How could that possibly be rational?

Joey had to go, and I'm thrilled with the trade. But he's not some sinister being.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How about Abramov + 3rd for Kovy
I think it's safe to say that the only assets we're willing to give up are draft picks and somewhat older prospects like Milano. The younger ones like Abramov or more promising looking ones like Bjorkstrand are just not guys we want to move for a two-year we-really-really-hope-he-works-out rental.

Consequentially, I'm not sure how to do this and make it still make sense for NJ. Maybe a conditional 1st dependent on Kovy's point production in year 1?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
To me, as a CBJ fan, this has Gaborik 2.0 written all over it. For a guy in his mid-30's this is a big risk IMO.

Exactly, and thinking about Tortorella who coached Gaborik in New-York, it would feel like Gaborik 2.0 for Tortorella too.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think it's safe to say that the only assets we're willing to give up are draft picks and somewhat older prospects like Milano. The younger ones like Abramov or more promising looking ones like Bjorkstrand are just not guys we want to move for a two-year we-really-really-hope-he-works-out rental.

Consequentially, I'm not sure how to do this and make it still make sense for NJ. Maybe a conditional 1st dependent on Kovy's point production in year 1?

This is what I expect from whoever lands Kovy. Its not going to be like here take one of our top prospects for a mystery box it will likely be some condition laced picks and maybe a lesser prospect/young roster player

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Exactly, and thinking about Tortorella who coached Gaborik in New-York, it would feel like Gaborik 2.0 for Tortorella too.
You realize, of course, that Gaborik's time here was a colossal flop, and both the trade for him and the trade sending him away are both seen as arguably the worst Kekalainen has ever made here, right?

"Gaborik 2.0" is not a good way to assure Jackets fans. ;)

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
You realize, of course, that Gaborik's time here was a colossal flop, and both the trade for him and the trade sending him away are both seen as arguably the worst Kekalainen has ever made here, right?

"Gaborik 2.0" is not a good way to assure Jackets fans. ;)

It's been a tough ride for him in New-York, despite the 2 40 goal seasons... anyway, I feel as if the team getting Kovalchuk will overpay, and I don't feel like he'll be as much as an impact player as most think... maybe a bit during the regular season, but the age is there and the risk is there.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
It's been a tough ride for him in New-York, despite the 2 40 goal seasons... anyway, I feel as if the team getting Kovalchuk will overpay, and I don't feel like he'll be as much as an impact player as most think... maybe a bit during the regular season, but the age is there and the risk is there.

He just came off a 78 pt 60 game season!
If you expect that production for 5 more years sure the risk is there.
If your competing in the next 2-3 yrs and that's what you sign up for your probably right where you expect to be

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Then, would you rather give up Wennberg or Werenski? Giving up Bjorkstrand can be the best option for the Jackets.

CBJ gives up none of the above. The window is just opening for the CBJ to be consistent playoff participants and to grow with a chance at the cup. They will need a few more pieces but not at the expense of their high end talent. Especially not for a 34 year old on the downside of his career who hasn't played in the NHL for 6 years (?). This type of talk is just silly.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
CBJ gives up none of the above. The window is just opening for the CBJ to be consistent playoff participants and to grow with a chance at the cup. They will need a few more pieces but not at the expense of their high end talent. Especially not for a 34 year old on the downside of his career who hasn't played in the NHL for 6 years (?). This type of talk is just silly.

Kovalchuk will bring offense and leadership to the team, and I don't expect the Jackets offering high-end prospects. That is why I stressed Bjorkstrand and a prospect or a pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad