Value of: Ilya Kovalchuk to CBJ

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Elliotte Friedman retweeted a tweet from Larry Brooks saying, " How much has Tortorella changed? Enough so that Jackets have inquired about Kovalchuk's interest in coming to Columbus, Post has learned."

https://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie/status/871752353426419714

Yes, "inquiring" for a player means little because guaranteed over half of the clubs in the league have inquired about Kovalchuck.

I know chances of ever seeing Kovalchuk in a CBJ jersey is slim. Butttt
Hypothetically..

Devs fans, what would be fair value for Kovalchuk (if it becomes for sure that he's jumping back over to NA)

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
honestly, you're better off proposing a deal than asking NJ fans what we want. we'll do that 2nd+prospect value that hfboards love to say, but if we're proposing the return we're gonna aim much higher and probably alienate people from wanting him lol

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
to trade him within the division, you're going to have to give something you probably don't want to give.

We can take a 1-2 year salary dump if need be.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
to trade him within the division, you're going to have to give something you probably don't want to give.

Honestly, why should we even care if we trade him in the division to a non rival as long as they offer up the best package. I wouldn't even care if we traded him to the Rangers as long as their package is good enough. We are not going to be competitive in the next two years with the current strength of our division

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Honestly, why should we even care if we trade him in the division to a non rival as long as they offer up the best package. I wouldn't even care if we traded him to the Rangers as long as their package is good enough. We are not going to be competitive in the next two years with the current strength of our division
We're not as far away as you think. But I agree with the sentiment I think.

2nd and a RW prospect/young player?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Would NJ be willing to retain salary?

Say he signs a 2 year deal worth 14M (7M AAV), would NJ retain 2M?

If so, I'd offer Abramov (arguably our top F prospect not named Dubois) + '18 2nd Rd Pick + Matt Calvert for Kovalchuk @5M

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Would the Devils have to take on someone like Hartnell for salary purposes? Not sure if the Blue Jackets are willing to move Anderson, but Hartnell + Anderson for Kovalchuk + ? could be an interesting framework. Would be ideal for the Devils especially if Cammalleri gets taken in the expansion draft.

With all the picks that the Devils have accumulated, I don't think a prospect/pick deal is going to be what they're looking for. Think they're going to look for more immediate help or guys that are getting squeezed out ala Eberle/Bjugstad.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Would the Devils have to take on someone like Hartnell for salary purposes? Not sure if the Blue Jackets are willing to move Anderson, but Hartnell + Anderson for Kovalchuk + ? could be an interesting framework. Would be ideal for the Devils especially if Cammalleri gets taken in the expansion draft.

With all the picks that the Devils have accumulated, I don't think a prospect/pick deal is going to be what they're looking for. Think they're going to look for more immediate help or guys that are getting squeezed out ala Eberle/Bjugstad.

Hartnell's not going to waive his NMC to go to New Jersey

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Yeah that's the big issue, but he seems like the most expendable piece team-wise with a high AAV.

Would CBJ be able to fit in Kovalchuk without trading Hartnell?

Sure, if Jersey takes back a player like Calvert and retains some salary on Kovalchuk's deal

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Sure, if Jersey takes back a player like Calvert and retains some salary on Kovalchuk's deal

I don't think Calvert would interest the Devils much. Third line forward who is a UFA at years end.

I would want Columbus to overpay a bit considering it would be a divisional deal and I think the Devils could get more interesting offers elsewhere.

If we do both those things, I want a guy like Bjorkstrand. Especially considering its a divisional trade.

I doubt Columbus moves Bjorkstrand. Too early to move on from him and Kovalchuk is a tad to old to justify it, IMO.

I think there's a better chance they give up 23-25 NHL player that they know what they have in.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
ya Calvert doesn't do anything for me, but Abramov+2nd is at least of interest. problem i see is with CBJ being a div rival, i think Shero tries for a bit more, especially if there is additional interest elsewhere. like i posted earlier, i'll do a 2nd+prospect so if it winds up as the proposed package i'm not gonna complain

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Not a fan of moving Bjork or Anderson for him. Picks and prospects sure, but not those guys.

I think Anderson would be the most likely candidate in a Kovalchuk deal.

Blue Jackets would obviously be hesitant to give him up, but I could see them giving to get Kovalchuk if they do truly want him.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I don't see any of Anderson/Bjorkstrand/Abramov going for Kovalchuk... we would give up maybe Milano and a pick or another prospect maybe Kolesar? But 2 of those guys have been specifically by management that they see them here long term and I doubt we trade Abramov after stealing him justast year. It doesn't make sense. If he was younger sure but why trade top assets for an unknown... when was the last time he played an NHL game? There is 0 guarantee he is worth any of those guys right now.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Yes, because the one thing that would be standing between New Jersey and all those cups is Columbus and their 35 year old Ilya Kovalchukv:laugh:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, because the one thing that would be standing between New Jersey and all those cups is Columbus and their 35 year old Ilya Kovalchukv:laugh:

Strengthening a divisional rival in an already-stacked division puts New Jersey even further behind.

It's really not that hard to grasp.

So, yes, if Columbus wants him, the cost is gonna sting.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I mean, you guys asked what it would take... :laugh:

ESPECIALLY if the Devils are A) retaining salary on Kovalchuk and B) taking a cap dump like Calvert, you're going to have to give up something you don't want to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad