Value of: Ilya Kovalchuk to CBJ

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Shero and Jarmo go back, way back, and are pretty good friends. A few years ago Jarmo let Shero hire Paul Castron, who co-ran the CBJ draft for years, to basically the same position free of charge. Now I'm not saying Shero would just give Kovalchuk away, since he's a player and not personnel, but I think people are over-reaching on his price, especially since the player has no interest in returning to New Jersey.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Now I'm not saying Shero would just give Kovalchuk away, since he's a player and not personnel, but I think people are over-reaching on his price, especially since the player has no interest in returning to New Jersey.

pretty sure our deadline trade with you was a pure courtesy move

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Shero and Jarmo go back, way back, and are pretty good friends. A few years ago Jarmo let Shero hire Paul Castron, who co-ran the CBJ draft for years, to basically the same position free of charge. Now I'm not saying Shero would just give Kovalchuk away, since he's a player and not personnel, but I think people are over-reaching on his price, especially since the player has no interest in returning to New Jersey.

I would say this is an understatement. I think his value is closer to trading for the rights of a pending free agent. He hasn't played in the NHL for a while and he is, what, 36 years old? His value is probably a mid round pick. He could be a great addition to any team but it's also a huge risk if you're giving up any valuable assets

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Please don't do this CBJ. I was originally open to it but now all I can think about is how he is just a locker room cancer. We finally got all that out after Brassard Nash and Johanson we.dont need it back with Kovy.

Yeah, Brassard Nash and Johansen are locker room cancers....

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Yeah, Brassard Nash and Johansen are locker room cancers....

They were in Columbus. That's why they were traded. The First 2 were part of the country club mentality that divided our guys for a period and Brassard was moved for that and Nash once he forced his way out was the last of those guys. Getting people in like Dubi and eventually Foligno and having Boll and Dorsett and the C of Florida McKenzie on those teams helped give us the identity we have now.

And RyJo was benched in the AHL playoffs before he even made.it up and it was known he had maturity issues. Then he came into the season out of shape and was a huge part of getting our head.coach fired and having the worst start ever. Then torts came in amd.henkept getting benched for floating. He got sent home on the road for conditioning. He tried to hold the team ransom im negotiations. So we got rid of him. That gave us a guy who the locker room loves I just saw an arlticle today about how the rookie D had looked to him for leadership and how good a teammate he is. Meanwhile in Nashville a certain former jacket is talking about how easy it is to sit on the sideline and just watch the games without it bothering him that he can't play and attacking players family and friends reputations because he was getting outplayed. Maybe I guess.thats not locker room cancer. What would you call a combo of Ebola and Aids. I feel like that's what he would be... Like ebolaids.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
They were in Columbus. That's why they were traded. The First 2 were part of the country club mentality that divided our guys for a period and Brassard was moved for that and Nash once he forced his way out was the last of those guys. Getting people in like Dubi and eventually Foligno and having Boll and Dorsett and the C of Florida McKenzie on those teams helped give us the identity we have now.

And RyJo was benched in the AHL playoffs before he even made.it up and it was known he had maturity issues. Then he came into the season out of shape and was a huge part of getting our head.coach fired and having the worst start ever. Then torts came in amd.henkept getting benched for floating. He got sent home on the road for conditioning. He tried to hold the team ransom im negotiations. So we got rid of him. That gave us a guy who the locker room loves I just saw an arlticle today about how the rookie D had looked to him for leadership and how good a teammate he is. Meanwhile in Nashville a certain former jacket is talking about how easy it is to sit on the sideline and just watch the games without it bothering him that he can't play and attacking players family and friends reputations because he was getting outplayed. Maybe I guess.thats not locker room cancer. What would you call a combo of Ebola and Aids. I feel like that's what he would be... Like ebolaids.

Dude are you serious?

Sorry guys, this isn't an accurate representation of rational CBJ fans...

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
It's rational... the irrational ones are the guys who attack CBJ management and defend Johanson. I just speak in extreme Hyperbole and exaggeration in situations where I know people will get salty and take everything too serious, personal and literal. Look at the idea and reason for what im.saying and not what I'm saying... he was a ****** teammate and employee.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
It's rational... the irrational ones are the guys who attack CBJ management and defend Johanson. I just speak in extreme Hyperbole and exaggeration in situations where I know people will get salty and take everything too serious, personal and literal. Look at the idea and reason for what im.saying and not what I'm saying... he was a ****** teammate and employee.

You're going to end up on 80% of CBJ fans' ignore list pretty soon

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Then, would you rather give up Wennberg or Werenski? Giving up Bjorkstrand can be the best option for the Jackets.

Why in the world would we willingly trade any of those players you mentioned for a short term fix at forward?

Be realistic please. Kovalchuk's nothing more than a 2-year rental piece. Not some godly player making a triumphant return to the NHL.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Why in the world would we willingly trade any of those players you mentioned for a short term fix at forward?

Be realistic please. Kovalchuk's nothing more than a 2-year rental piece. Not some godly player making a triumphant return to the NHL.

Exactly. So, you wouldn't be giving up top-notch prospects for him. Bjorkstrand is not as good as Wennberg or Werenski. Also, one thing you should note is that Kovalchuk is not an ordinary "two-year rental"; he's a renowned sniper who can play for three to four years at maximum.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Exactly. So, you wouldn't be giving up top-notch prospects for him. Bjorkstrand is not as good as Wennberg or Werenski. Also, one thing you should note is that Kovalchuk is not an ordinary "two-year rental"; he's a renowned sniper who can play for three to four years at maximum.

First off, Columbus is not going to be taking on Kovalchuk's contract if its term is more than two years. They simply can't with the amount of new contracts they'll have to issue to their young core over the next 3 season.

Second...None of the players you mentioned are really "prospects" anymore. They're established NHLers - I can understand how you'd think Bjorkstrand's a prospect, but he's going to be in the league full time next season. He's not going to be traded....our FO gushes over his scoring potential.

If any prospect is moved for Kovalchuk, I certainly could see it being Milano.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
First off, Columbus is not going to be taking on Kovalchuk's contract if its term is more than two years. They simply can't with the amount of new contracts they'll have to issue to their young core over the next 3 season.

Second...None of the players you mentioned are really "prospects" anymore. They're established NHLers - I can understand how you'd think Bjorkstrand's a prospect, but he's going to be in the league full time next season. He's not going to be traded....our FO gushes over his scoring potential.

If any prospect is moved for Kovalchuk, I certainly could see it being Milano.

Yeah, young players. However, bear in mind: You must give up an asset to gain an asset. Bjorkstrand has upside potential, and he's worth keeping, but the player you're trying to acquire is Kovalchuk, so to gain an amazing asset, you must give the Devils something amazing in return.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

This is... getting more than a little extreme. I know Brass and Nash get tainted by association with the horror clubs of yesteryear, but presuming that they're lazy jerks as a result is going a bit too far.

And Joey... yeah, we're probably never going to agree on that one. :)

* * *​

Um. No. Both positions are irrational; they're just on opposite extremes.

* * *​
Exactly. So, you wouldn't be giving up top-notch prospects for him. Bjorkstrand is not as good as Wennberg or Werenski.

Bjorkstrand is, nonetheless, still a top-notch prospect.

Seriously; this is like saying that Bo Horvat is nothing and should be given away because he's not as good as Connor McDavid. You're comparing the really good to the truly exceptional and discounting "really good" as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad