Value of: Ilya Kovalchuk to CBJ

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Just so everyone knows, it's a myth that Kovalchuk is some kind of locker room cancer, at least when he played for the Devils. He was respected by his teammates, and was on very good terms with veterans like Brodeur (their kids were friends).

His "retiring" turned out to be a big favor for the team, and there's a good chance that Lou encouraged him to do it, or at least nudged him in that direction.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Kovalchuk will bring offense and leadership to the team, and I don't expect the Jackets offering high-end prospects. That is why I stressed Bjorkstrand and a prospect or a pick.

Unfortunately you know nothing about the view of Bjorkstrand then. He is a high end prospect(NHL Ready). If the CBJ feels they can compete for the Cup this year then a move to get Kovalchuk might make sense but committing to him for more than a year or two, at this time, just doesn't fit this teams current model. They want to keep and develop their high end talent and if they add high end talent it won't be at 34 years old and the expense of high end youth.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
We have that in Foligno, thank you very much. ;) What we don't have is a extra 5M.

But the Devils have cap space. So if Columbus management wants Kovalchuk, it can be worked out where the Devils retain or take back a cap dump. If the Clarkson contract is offloaded (i.e. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-might-waive-no-move-clause-ahead-expansion-draft/) thats $5M opened immediately. The problem for CBJ in that scenario is that any retention or cap dump ups the ante on the return.

Kovalchuk's salary won't be what decides whether or not he ends up on Columbus if they want each other.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kovalchuk will bring offense and leadership to the team, and I don't expect the Jackets offering high-end prospects. That is why I stressed Bjorkstrand and a prospect or a pick.

"I don't expect the Jackets to offer high-end prospects. That is why I'm stressing a high-end prospect plus."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad