Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk to Capitals for 2020 3rd round pick

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
i don’t ever remember it getting to Green was irreplaceable lol.....

Maybe not irreplaceable but there were a lot of people who were convinced his passes to Ovechkin on the PP were magical, and who pounced on every single muff by Carlson as proof.

What was the topic again? Oh yeah, Kovalchuk.

I'm pumped to see what happens. It could be a disappointing TDL result like Shattenkirk, a "meh, decent but not quite as advertised" situation like Arnott, or a legendary stint like Feds. Hoping for the latter, of course.

Reactions: Bananas

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Is Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Kovalchuk a possibility ?
giphy.gif

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Even though this deal is pretty meh to me the one thing I hadn't initially thought of is if god forbid someone in the top six goes down, they now have a skilled guy who can replace him. See Oshie last playoffs. :(

Stupid of me that that wasn't my first reaction.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
TBH, Green still does have that over Carlson. Don't get me wrong, Carlson is literally better at everything else. But Green still is better at deceptively getting the puck to Ovi right in his wheelhouse. He's also got a lot more shake-n-bake at the point than Carlson does. His no-look sauces to Ovi are better. Carlson telegraphs his passes to Ovi way too much.

But we can't really complain about what Carly has progressed to be.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’d be pretty interested to see what Kovalchuk thinks about the PP to be honest. The guy has been an offensive star for 20 years, I reckon he’d know a think or two.

When you get a guy like this, you are getting a lot more than just his on ice play. All his coaches, his own instincts and experience, everything he’s seen and done comes to your team and it could be a comment here or there to a player, a thought about the PP or anything.

Orpik changed this team more off the ice than on it. Kovalchuk can change things for the better like that also. The fact Max Domi called him ‘big brother’ is just a tiny indication that he does bring that aspect.

Max Domi is 24 and 28 goals is his best. Ovechkin was impressed by Fedorov because Fedorov was the standard. Any young and impressionable Caps star(Vrana) already has Ovechkin.

17 may offer real value but not as a leader to a team desperate for leadership

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If anyone is vulnerable in the top six it's Vrana for something like Kovalchuk - Backstrom - Oshie. But let's see how hungry Kovalchuk plays first. That will determine whether he's a Connolly type for them or something a little more dangerous.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If anyone is vulnerable in the top six it's Vrana for something like Kovalchuk - Backstrom - Oshie. But let's see how hungry Kovalchuk plays first. That will determine whether he's a Connolly type for them or something a little more dangerous.

Which would stink because Vrana has done everything and more the Capitals have asked of him in the top six. Unlike Burakovsky who got chance after chance there.

Kovulchuk is depth which is his value to the team.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think if Kovy still has it with good partners, they can form uber 3rd line

Vrana-Eller-Oshie

and make 2nd
Hagelin-Backstrom-Kovalchuk

And let them play the same amount of time.

Eller's line will have to be a mismatch for most teams, and they proven to be effective in that combination.

Hags and Backstrom with Kovy will be defensively better than any line with Ovechkin could be.

And then there is overpriced overloaded 4th line too.

If these lines click - beware.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Which would stink because Vrana has done everything and more the Capitals have asked of him in the top six. Unlike Burakovsky who got chance after chance there.

Kovulchuk is depth which is his value to the team.

A 12 game goalless drought in the playoffs would create a change

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think if Kovy still has it with good partners, they can form uber 3rd line

Vrana-Eller-Oshie

and make 2nd
Hagelin-Backstrom-Kovalchuk

And let them play the same amount of time.

Eller's line will have to be a mismatch for most teams, and they proven to be effective in that combination.

Hags and Backstrom with Kovy will be defensively better than any line with Ovechkin could be.

And then there is overpriced overloaded 4th line too.

If these lines click - beware.

13 20 77 is the better line by far. Backstrom then wont be getting 3rd line mins. It's like you see Kovalchuk as a Conn Smythe candidate as opposed to a role player

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Even though this deal is pretty meh to me the one thing I hadn't initially thought of is if god forbid someone in the top six goes down, they now have a skilled guy who can replace him. See Oshie last playoffs. :(

Stupid of me that that wasn't my first reaction.

Eller stepping up to be a top 6 C helped us win the Cup. Hopefully Kovy is capable.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Ilya f*cking Kovalchuk is on the f*cking Caps! It’s still surreal to me. I can’t believe it and can’t wait for tomorrow night. Seeing him in a Caps jersey - teamed up with Ovi - has been a dream of mine for over a decade. Can’t wait to see it.
I hope you have realistic expectations about it to not be too much disappointed if something won't work.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Maybe not irreplaceable but there were a lot of people who were convinced his passes to Ovechkin on the PP were magical, and who pounced on every single muff by Carlson as proof.

What was the topic again? Oh yeah, Kovalchuk.

I'm pumped to see what happens. It could be a disappointing TDL result like Shattenkirk, a "meh, decent but not quite as advertised" situation like Arnott, or a legendary stint like Feds. Hoping for the latter, of course.

What probably happened: it was one of Tex’s opinions and he repeated it over and over again, so now looking back it seems like “everyone” was saying it.

But yeah I remember there being quite a bit of chatter about Green being hard to replace up there, and specifically that Carlson would be a downgrade.

As for Kovy I was initially hoping for someone a little closer to their prime years but when thinking about his potential impact it’s pretty clear there is a lot of upside to this trade. Classic low risk, high reward.

I’m pretty bullish on this team but they’ve certainly shown they’ve got a little meltdown in ‘em. It’s gonna be an interesting rest of season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What probably happened: it was one of Tex’s opinions and he repeated it over and over again, so now looking back it seems like “everyone” was saying it.

Not the case. If I remember right there was a good bit of yelling about putting Niskanen in Carlson's spot during that run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad