TSN: Ilya Kovalchuk Staying in KHL for 2017-18 Season

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Not a fan of his character, but was a fan of the player.

Was kinda looking forward to watching Kovy come back.. Major ****ing tease.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
back in the day i really wanted kovalchuk but then he dipped out of NJ mid contract and I've lost all respect... he can stay in the KHL.

Same. Tired of the Kovy drama. It's not that he left it's HOW he left and then attempting comebacks like this

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Same. Tired of the Kovy drama. It's not that he left it's HOW he left and then attempting comebacks like this

European players are moving to NA at the same way - mid contract - without a fair financial compensation from NA/NHL teams to the European teams who developed the prospect. Every summer, 10-20 players. What should Euro fans say then?

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I just have a feeling that teams are not that sure what Kovalchuk at 35 is going to bring to their team and are not willing to give him a big contract. It is pretty reasonable to expect that he has declined at age 34 at least to some degree. I can't blame teams for having doubts about exactly how effective he will be next season.

Mar 14, 2015
European players are moving to NA at the same way - mid contract - without a fair financial compensation from NA/NHL teams to the European teams who developed the prospect. Every summer, 10-20 players. What should Euro fans say then?

Boya.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Always one of my favorite players, was so annoyed when he went to the Devils but i still secretly liked him. Wish the NYR could have gotten him now but no way we were going to pay assets to Jersey to get him and his contract, so glad he's staying in the K

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Those contracts have NHL out-clauses, so there is no breach if they leave. Kovalchuk did not - he breached his contract.

Edit: If I recall, the NHL and the KHL have an explicit agreement not to take players currently under contract. That's why Kovy and Datsyuk retired before they made their jump.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'm sure all the people who were dumping on Shero for pages will come running back to admit they were wrong any minute now.

No surprise when I saw that yahoo sports article that no team even got past the negotiating with Kovalchuk stage.

There were reports he got offers. Now there's a report he didn't. So I guess we're both going to believe whatever fits our argument. That's fair.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
There were reports he got offers. Now there's a report he didn't. So I guess we're both going to believe whatever fits our argument. That's fair.

The report that he didn't receive offers is coming from the man himself, so I tend to put a little more stock in that.

Remember how many teams were reportedly "all in"? Baseless.

Not that it matters...

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Why do the Devils not retain his rights after this season? I thought he had to take a full year off hockey to become a UFA.
Also, thought it was interesting to hear Kovalchuk say only players who play in Europe are eligible for the Olympics. Guess that ends the debate whether Ovechkin and others will take off mid season.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Why do the Devils not retain his rights after this season? I thought he had to take a full year off hockey to become a UFA.
Also, thought it was interesting to hear Kovalchuk say only players who play in Europe are eligible for the Olympics. Guess that ends the debate whether Ovechkin and others will take off mid season.

The Voluntary Retirement List part of the CBA has a clause that states the NHL team retains the retired player's rights until age 35. Then, the player is a UFA, and the other pre-requisites (NJ's rights, league-wide approval, etc) are null and void.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Mid contract? Are you aware how long his contract was for? I highly doubt 10-20 players leave a year with that much left on a contract

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

I'm sure all the people who were dumping on Shero for pages will come running back to admit they were wrong any minute now.

No surprise when I saw that yahoo sports article that no team even got past the negotiating with Kovalchuk stage.

I guarantee Shero got phone calls asking what they would want for him but Shero probably asked for a lot and in that sense, nobody called back for real trade offers. So yes, blame could probably still be placed on Shero.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The NHL does not care about European hockey, they are only interesting in one thing – the players. But can you imagine that if there was a transfer of leading FC Barcelona´s player to Mancherster United, the MU would pay a sum which is equal to the player´s one month salary? You even dont buy a player from Eastern Europe for such a marginal sum (in soccer – vorky). In hockey nobody has ever wanted to establish transfer rules. We have always heard only one thing – the NHL is the best and greatest league and nothing can be done. Have anybody tried to understand how it works in NBA or MLB? How much money they pay for European, Asian or Latin American players? But paying for future stars of Kuznetsov´s or Laine´s calibre a sum which is two times lower than NHL player´s minimal salary or even leaving a player (to NHL club) for „thank you“ is normal?

KHL leadership asked me a few years ago how it is possible to make a transfer of a player with valid NHL contract to Russian club. Radulov´s way of „transfer“ from Nashville to Salavat Yulaev was unacceptable of course. I was sadden then, but I studied NHL-NHL CBA for next couple of months, it is 600 pages. Then I got an idea that if a player retires from the NHL, he is free to sign in his Motherland. I called to several influential agents to consult the situation. They said me that they heard about such a scenario for the first time. I said to the KHL leadership what I found out and a half o year later, SKA signed Ilya Kovalchuk. If the people want to do something, they will do it. If they don´t want, they will not.

Are NHL clubs willing to pay for transfers?

If there are proper rules, they will. In early 90´s, when horrible things happened in Russia, the NHL clubs directly contacted Dynamo Moscow to pay solid sums, at the time, to Dynamo for their players. I remember how Ottawa paid 700 000 USD for Alexei Yashin in 1992. It was a very good sum at the time. Average NHL salary was two times lower at the time. So, NHL clubs paid money for Dynamo´s players, but CSKA´s players simply run away. How much money did NHL clubs pay to Russian clubs for Tarasenko, Panarin or Bobrovsky? I am sure, in better case, it was „thank you.“

Igor Kuperman
Former Winnipeg Jets and Phoenix Coyotes official
Original source sport-express.ru

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Makes sense next year he's full UFA this year there's piles of red tape to jump through to return to anyone besides jersey.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I'm going to believe Shero more than anonymous reports. Which GMs have came out and said they made serious offers?

I guarantee Shero got phone calls asking what they would want for him but Shero probably asked for a lot and in that sense, nobody called back for real trade offers. So yes, blame could probably still be placed on Shero.

Shero literally said he had preliminary discussions about it, but that he never received the follow up after they talked to Kovalchuk's people. I'm sure he was asking for something of value and not trash or a throwaway like a 7th round pick, as he should, but if teams couldn't come to an agreement with Kovalchuk what Shero may or may not have wanted is irrelevant at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad