TSN: Ilya Kovalchuk Staying in KHL for 2017-18 Season

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I'd take him on the Leafs if the price wasn't insane. Even just for a year. I'd love to see what he could do on the power play with this group

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I'd take him on the Leafs if the price wasn't insane. Even just for a year. I'd love to see what he could do on the power play with this group

I'd give him a 1-2 year deal on a low dollar value. I think Kovalchuck will be a disappointment to whoever signs him. He was a fantastic player but he's older now and hasn't played in the NHL in 3 years. He won't be the same player. To be fair, I did feel the same about Radulov however.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If they trade JVR, maybe the Leafs bring in Kovy on a 2-year deal? :dunno:

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
This is great stuff. The only way Kovalchuk can troll the Devils harder is by going to the Rangers and having the biggest year of his NHL career.:laugh:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Standard procedure putting Rangers on your wish list, whether you want to play there or not.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He'd be a very good fit for the Leafs. Bigger winger that can score and fit in skillwise with the Leafs top 3 forwards, and will get a shorter term contract.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
If JVR is the return, I'll do cartwheels

We aren't trading JVR for Kovalchuk.

NJ would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for Kovalchuk.

Either that or he goes back to Russia and comes back next July.

No urgency or pressure to acquire him for any team.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Leafs could maybe Radulov him and get him for a year on the cheap, but what's the point. I don't want to see him around long term and I definitely don't want to see someone like JVR get traded for a guy who is older, will want more money, and will be gone in a year anyway. He just doesn't fit unless he somehow morphed into a top-four defenseman while he was in Russia.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
If I'm Columbus I offer a B prospect and a conditional pick based on how the team does in the playoffs. They have a window to really take a shot at the Cup the next two years and should be all in.

Here's how I would base the conditions on the pick.

ECQF - 4th round
ECSF - 3rd round
ECF - 2nd Round
SCF - 1st round

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
Kovalchuk and then get Thornton. Looks pretty tasty to me. Move JVR and Bozak for a top 4 dman and we're golden.

Kovalchuk-Thornton-Marner
Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Hyman-Boyle-Martin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad