TSN: Ilya Kovalchuk Staying in KHL for 2017-18 Season

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Without making any judgement in regards to Shero, I find it amusing to observe how a certain group completely dismisses other posters and tells them they "have no idea what went down and what Shero thinks" while at the same time declaring with almost certainty to know exactly what went down and what Shero is thinking.

Bottom line is the Devils got nothing out of a possible aspect, there is no way to slice it. And "negative value" i.e. "well they prevented their rivals to benefit for a year" is NOT 'something', it's still nothing.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Without making any judgement in regards to Shero, I find it amusing to observe how a certain group completely dismisses other posters and tells them they "have no idea what went down and what Shero thinks" while at the same time declaring with almost certainty to know exactly what went down and what Shero is thinking.

Bottom line is the Devils got nothing out of a possible aspect, there is no way to slice it. And "negative value" i.e. "well they prevented their rivals to benefit for a year" is NOT 'something', it's still nothing.
Bottom line is there was no interest in Kovalchuk at the price he was demanding for his services.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
This must be Bizarro World where someone says something for weeks, turns out the opposite happens, and then claims they've been right all along.

He only signed in the KHL because nobody wanted him, as your GM just said: he got no offers. It's ok to admit that you were wrong and that he didn't have nearly the value you were predicting. It's ok. The truth will set you free.

BTW what do I get for winning the game?

You receive nothing

We don't know all the variables involved yet but you're already declaring yourself correct.

I can not speak for everyone but the hope was that Kovalchuk trade to CBJ on a 50% retained contract and maybe a small add-on could net a decent return.

Maybe the Devil's owners nixed retaining salary or maybe Shero was against it.

Maybe no one wanted to pay what Kovy was asking (without NJD retaining) on top of having to give up some sort of compensation.

Maybe the NHL GMs think he needs to play a 1 year "show me" contract and Kovy wanted nothing to do with that.

Maybe Shero is lying.

We aren't privy to the contract negotiations so we really don't know why no team offered him a contract.

Kovy didn't real give himself or the Devils much leverage by only wanting to play for 3 teams. It appears he overrated his worth.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Bottom line is the Devils never even had a chance to make a deal, so it's all a moot point. They couldn't force Kovalchuk to sign a contract or agree to terms with another team, so it was never an asset to begin with.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009

Not the best logic because the teams (NJD and the teams Kovy wanted to play for) are in direct competition with each other so while the Devils did not receive any assets to improve themselves, they still didn't help their rivals improve.

If Kovy was willing to go out west then I would hope that Shero would have traded him for pretty much anything.

Using that logic, then why do team often take slightly less to trade a player outside the conference or division?

There is definitely an intangible value in not sending your rivals a solid asset.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I love that Shero looks like an idiot now and I was right all along.

NJ lost out on an asset because Shero is an idiot.

Even if it was a 3rd or 4th round pick, it was a free asset.

That's why NJ will never compete again. Lou and Conte left and now they're a disaster.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

That's why NJ will never compete again. Lou and Conte left and now they're a disaster.

:handclap: very nice!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Now you're accusing him of not answering his phone? You obviously didn't even read the article. Shero was ready to deal and said he would make a deal with the Rangers, Islanders, Flyers and more but was never even presented with a deal. Grossman told him three teams that were interested, one denied being interested, the other said they wanted to address other areas first, and the third said they would work with Grossman on a deal and then no one ever got back to him.

Wouldn't be shocked if the "other areas first, we'll get back to you" team was the Jackets, since it's well known we've been looking at top-6 centers.

But yeah, it is kind of hard to turn down deals you were never offered.

* * *​
Huh? Weren't most Devils fans saying that they'd get a good return for him, such as a young D like Ryan Murray?

Not most; just enough to be annoying.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

You probably just mad because you didn't get Kovalchuk

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
"Lou and Conte left and now they're a disaster." Let me fix that for you. Lou and Conte left the team as a disaster.

Thanks to Shero the team is in better shape than what Lou and Conte left it in.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
You have no idea what New Jersey's ask was.

You don't know if teams were even interested in Kovalchuk at his 3 years, $6.5M AAV asking price. You also don't know if Shero had an agreement in place, but Kovalchuk didn't want to play wherever the trade would've put him. You don't know if Shero had an agreement in place, but the trade partner didn't want to pay a higher price for NJ to retain salary.

You don't know anything about what transpired; no one on here does. The fact that people are asserting such absolutes over something they're clueless about, is hilarious.

I don't know about the guy you're replying to, but I had the answer to most of your questions. Kovalchuk told me.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
"Lou and Conte left and now they're a disaster." Let me fix that for you. Lou and Conte left the team as a disaster.

Thanks to Shero the team is in better shape than what Lou and Conte left it in.

Not sure how anyone can think the team would be better off if Lou and Conte were still here. The team was old, had one if not the worst prospect pools in the league, and were mediocre every year.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012

Lol this is great coming from a high and mighty Leafs fan, who just got a near generational talent and had one of their best seasons in over a decade.

So, even if Shero is an idiot, the Devils won't be able to recover from it and compete again?

And you're clueless if you believe that Lou and Conte leaving is going to make them a disaster. Shero is improving this team that those two depleted. Look at Conte's drafting and the ranking of Devils prospect pools from 2000 to 2015. Lou, while a great GM, lost his touch over time, and it's likely due to his old school mentality and inability to adapt to the cap era.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

That's why NJ will 7never compete again. Lou and Conte left and now they're a disaster.

I seriously hope this is sarcasm.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Is this serious? Lou and Conte were the reason the Devils were screwed.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No one wanted to give the 34 year old who hasn't played in the NHL for years money and term?

Shocking.

This largely seems to be the truth. I never understood the rumors that the Rangers were interested. The only team that made sense of the entire group of alleged suitors was Columbus, frankly.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Did you even read the Wyshinski article? Shero NEVER GOT AN OFFER TO BEGIN WITH. Kovalchuk priced himself out of the league, Shero had nothing to do with it.

TBF, I said that for a few years and was told that I was wrong. It's interesting that you guys are finally coming along to that POV.

Plenty of Devil fans were anti-Lou and Conte toward the end.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

You sound as bad as the devils fans that were sure they were getting a prime asset and are now backpedaling.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

Lou and Conte left it a disaster with one of if not the weakest prospect pool in the league and the oldest team in the league. Shero pretty much rebuilt the offense in 2 yrs and is working on the D. Another 2 yrs or so again we'll be a mainstay in the playoffs. Hell possibly as early as 2018-2019.

Lou refused to rebuild in NJ, signing older over the hill players to try and extend the window as much as he could. The only reason Lou embraced the rebuild in Toronto is because he finally had someone to answer to ( Shanahan )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad