Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk signs with Habs (1-year, 2-way deal, 700k AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The members bashing this move are probably the same ones crying because Weal and Cousins are on the powerplay.

People will be pleasantly surprised. Russians thrive in Montreal, for some reason. And we have some speed the Kings didn't have to complement Kovalchuk's skills

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Despite his struggles, Kovalchuk has 9 pts in 17 GP so far this year.

Offense has never been the problem with Kovalchuk in the Kings' run. it's the defensive part that's been the problem.

I imagine that it's still going to be a problem under Julien tho. He's probably gonna get PP time + limited 4th line ice time.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We are down 4 wingers, Cousins was on our 1st line last game and Weal is playing like 14-15 minutes a game. There is legit no risk with this signing, our top pro offensive prospects are already in our top 9 and he's a massive upgrade compared to calling up plugs like Barber/Hudon who did nothing on their call-ups.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
But what's the harm in this one? If he pans out we could flip him to a contender. If he struggles, then it cant be worse than having guys like Cousins or Weal play big minutes. I'll take old man Kovalchuk on the PP anyday than Weal.

There's a lot to criticize Bergevin rightfully on. These low risk moves dont strike me as such.
Its not about a downside, its just the fact that hes doing those moves to say he tried.

Hes going to tell us the same damn thing hes been telling us for the past decade and people will eat it up.

Its just a distraction for the media, he acquired a former russian star and a Quebecois born LD, he basically did what they asked of him, with a caveat.

At some point hell have to stop with the "Whats the harm in this one" moves and actually do something, because hes been doing those moves for way too long now and it hasnt worked.

Reactions: habsfan891

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
A two way contract but why? I don't see ourselves making the playoffs at the moment and this looks like a last salvo to save Bergevin's job.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Can we get Kovalev too!! Then we can have Weal to Kovy and the over to Kovy!!

MB is in trouble folks, let's hope this works, he might help our PP......but this reeks of desperation, and bargain bin stuff.

Reactions: habsfan891

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And like some said, if it means that I'll stop seeing Weal's ugly face on the PP, I'm all for it.

Reactions: abo9

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
To the posters believing he replaces weal on the powerplay your in for a rude awakening CJ is way too in love with Weal for that to ever happen my bet is he replaces KK.

TouzY

Dec 1, 2014
Quebec
no risk move,
Tatar - Danault - Kovalchuk
maybe bump Weal and Cousins from the PP and add Kovalchuk to try him out

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Let say that if there's actually 1 plan that Bergevin does follow since he's here, is that he wants to get something out of nothing. Obviously, it doesn't work most of the time. But that's who he is. At least what it does today is a lot of fun. A lot of hope. And then we'll see him on the ice and understand he doesn'T have a whole lot to give....but look at the Habs. He might be amongst our top 9 even when everybody is back....So again, fine with me. Because I know who Bergevin is. I'm not hoping for anything as far as he's concerned. I'm just going with what he can give us. And that is in line with what he does.

Just 1 question though....did the guy actually trained the last 2 months? 'Cause he wasn't playing.
He was seen down South with Ovechkin during the X-Mas break.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Anyone want to take a stab at the lines now? I don't see a spot where he would fit in right away

Tatar-Danault-Lehkonen
Poehling-Domi-Suzuki
Cousins-Kotkaniemi-Kovalchuk
Vejdemo-Thompson-Weal

maybe when Armia is back Kovalchuk-Kotkaniemi-Armia would be a good line

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I guess this is a case of what do they have to lose. If he has nothing left you just send him down and that's the end of it but if he produces a few goals and shows he has something left the Habs can flip him at the deadline for a free pick if they're still out of the playoffs.

This will be like a Kovalchuk audition for any current playoff teams who might've been interested in signing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad