Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Not a Rangers fan, but just because you're rebuilding, that doesn't mean you fill your roster entirely with kids that may or may not be ready for the NHL.

He'll occupy a spot for a short time while the Rangers continue to develop their picks and prospects. When the kids are ready they get put into a spot in the NHL they can handle. Otherwise they continue to marinate in the lower leagues, playing important roles they could not yet handle at the NHL level.

Seems pretty intuitive. A rebuild doesn't mean "never have anyone on your roster over the age of 13, even if said players aren't ready for the NHL". I would think people would understand that by now, but I guess not.
Yeah I don't see what the big deal is. We also have some young Russian players coming up the next few years. In fact, Kovalchuk has been teammates with a few of them in the KHL, (Buchnevich, Ryko, Shestyorkin).

I wonder why he signed with the Rangers, if they're currently on a rebuild. Maybe, NYR was the only team that reached out to sign him.
Because he gets to play in New York City? This site acts like the only thing players care about is winning a trophy. They have lives of their own.

Last edited:

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
People its a Rumor , why would the Rangers do this ? they are in rebuild mode . Makes no sense.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Has Kovy accepted playing in the third or fourth line?
While I think this is a stupid move for both parties, Kovy is still a top-6 winger on nearly every team.

If you have the opportunity to have one of the best players not in the NHL join your team for 2-3 years for no assets given up, you take it. You now have a valuable contract if the terms are right. You can possibly deal him, make your team better, insulate your incoming talent so you're not a barren wastleland like Buffalo and Arizona.

There is no reason why this move wouldn't be good for the Rangers.

That plan works if you can find a franchise player without picking in the top-3. There's a reason that every Cup winner for the past bazillion years has had a top-3 pick on its roster.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
People its a Rumor , why would the Rangers do this ? they are in rebuild mode . Makes no sense.
Because they can sell off players like Zuccarello for picks/players to help accelerate a rebuild and then fill the holes in the roster with players like Kovalchuk.

If it's only for 2 or 3 years, it's really not bad. You need to ice a full team even if rebuilding, and you won't get anywhere icing a roster of just kids.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
ap,550x550,12x16,1,transparent,t.u2.png

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't like it. I like the fact that they're almost certain to give him a NMC even less. I just don't like it. The roster has finally been cleared of almost all the bad contracts and the second we get some space we go pull some bs. Smh.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Rangers are turning over the roster to get generally younger while restocking the cupboard. Yet, they also want to remain competitive. You can debate that approach, and this particular move, but I don't think it's hard to see why they're doing this.

Reactions: klingsor

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Good veteran leader and a capable player for a room and organization full of young [Russian] guys. Really don't get how people see this as a bad move.

Also money is money but plenty of players want to live in NYC.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
If one expects the Rangers to be a contending team with a quick retool, this is not a good move.
If one is more realistic and understands that Kovalchuk would help mentor the 3 or 4 young Russians in the NYR's system while also providing scoring punch, to a team in a tear it down rebuild, this makes a lot of sense.
Don't expect the Rangers to compete for a playoff spot for the next 2 or so seasons. This is a complete rebuild, they traded half of their team and fired their coach. They have a stockpile of picks and prospects to wade through and evaluate.....baby steps.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
As said before, if this helps Rykov and Shestyorkin (Kovalchuk's teammates on SKA) come over in a year and potentially even help sign Gusev, then I do this move every time. Even more so we get a real solid player.

Throw him on Chytil's wing next season and let the kid learn.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Wait if hes chasing the cash wouldnt he go to a team that has lower taxes and if hes is chasing a cup wouldnt he want to join a team that isnt rebuilding this makes no sense unless hes chasing the fame of new york lol idk
Yea it's crazy, it makes you start to think that a big portion of people on here who have acted like they got left by a girlfriend and have yet to get over it, just made up these narrative to make themselves feel better....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->