Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
They didnt target rykov the settled for him. Ray said there was 3 to 5 players they asked for before him lol. It might end up being a blessing they got him but by dumb luck
Of course they asked for better prospects to start. Have you ever negotiated anything? Rykov was picked and is the prospect that came back. Ah yes, the Devils GM doesn't have motivation to spin it to sound like they worked the Rangers over in the deal haha. Dumb luck? You think they just threw something at a dart board? Didn't have personal reports on him or information? Okay there buddy.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
They didnt target rykov the settled for him. Ray said there was 3 to 5 players they asked for before him lol. It might end up being a blessing they got him but by dumb luck

OOOORRRRR

it could be that had they asked for Rykov to start, he would have been off the board.

It's a pretty neat negotiating tactic. Act as if you are settling for the guy you wanted.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
so rebuild or no rebuild?
I`m not a fan of this move at all - it just means NY going for quick retool which I expected, because they have no patience for a proper rebuild in NY. At least they will try until they figure out they need to rebuild deeper than a 8th overall pick in 2018 next year, and Gorton need luck to win the lottery for the top #3 picks to get an impact player to build around.

Has Kovy accepted playing in the third or fourth line?

I doubt it - he will probably play in the top 6 with our current depth if he sign with NYR, but he won`t win a cup here at all for the next 3-4 years when we will compete next time. Because I don`t see how with so many holes at the moment and we will have new coaching staff before the training camp in October.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I`m not a fan of this move at all - it just means NY going for quick retool which I expected, because they have no patience for a proper rebuild in NY. At least they will try until they figure out they need to rebuild deeper than a 8th overall pick in 2018 next year, and Gorton need luck to win the lottery for the top #3 picks to get an impact player to build around.

Maybe they have player coming up who need a one-more-year training, before they enter the NHL?

Reactions: Ori

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I doubt it - he will probably play in the top 6 with our current depth if he sign with NYR, but he won`t win a cup here at all for the next 3-4 years when we will compete next time. Because I don`t see how with so many holes at the moment and we will have new coaching staff before the training camp in October.

I wonder why he signed with the Rangers, if they're currently on a rebuild. Maybe, NYR was the only team that reached out to sign him.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Maybe they have player coming up who need a one-more-year training, before they enter the NHL?
Yes true, I doubt Brett Howden in that Tampa deal earlier this year is NHL ready, but what I saw of both Lias & Chytil I`ve notion that both plays NHL next season. Libor Hajek is 20 years old so he will probably debut in NHL as well next season.

I wonder why he signed with the Rangers, if they're currently on a rebuild. Maybe, NYR was the only team that reached out to sign him.

It`s hard to speculate, but for me this signing do not make any sense since I`ve follow Rangers close the recent years- especially if the player Ilya mentioned he enjoyed the thought of wining a cup in NHL, and he knows that NYR is in a rebuild mode.

But it`s a rumor, it`s not final by any means or official NYR news - at least no tweets about it.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Yes true, I doubt Brett Howden in that Tampa deal earlier this year is NHL ready, but what I saw of both Lias & Chytil I`ve notion that both plays NHL next season. Libor Hajek is 20 years old so he will probably debut in NHL as well next season.

Oh, yes, Hajek is almost ready, too. Good on New York.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I wonder if Kovy is going to like the rules in regards to stick infractions and all the ticky tacky calls the past year. It could go both ways I guess.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Seems like an odd move for the Rangers who I thought were sort of rebuilding. I can see it on his side if he gets the money he is in New York which seems to fit for him.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Maybe Mats Zuccarello ends up signing with the Canucks since the Sedins are retired? :)
Gorton will try to move him in this summer window for sure with 1 year remaining on his contract.

member 157595

Not a Rangers fan, but just because you're rebuilding, that doesn't mean you fill your roster entirely with kids that may or may not be ready for the NHL.

He'll occupy a spot for a short time while the Rangers continue to develop their picks and prospects. When the kids are ready they get put into a spot in the NHL they can handle. Otherwise they continue to marinate in the lower leagues, playing important roles they could not yet handle at the NHL level.

Seems pretty intuitive. A rebuild doesn't mean "never have anyone on your roster over the age of 13, even if said players aren't ready for the NHL". I would think people would understand that by now, but I guess not.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
If its 2 years its not the end of the world. Could help in the development of some of the younger kids, specially buch who could prob use a figure like Kovy to raise his game up. Also frees them up to trade Zuc or potentially Spooner for futures at the draft. Not the biggest fan of the move if it happens but there could be positives

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Igor is a solid reporter. He’s been the first on Russian player news several times in the past. Wonder if we’ll find out more tomorrow.

Well he turns 35 in a week and SKA's out so probably early next week it'll be 'official'. This is the ending I expected but most of my fellow Devil fans have had a blind spot for this player for years, maybe it's for the best this way to stop the pining once and for all.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I look forward to him becoming the loudest boo'd player in NHL history.

Honestly... Rangers what are you thinking? This guy, since "retiring" from the NHL, has had several instances of showing who he really is.. from disrespecting the Canadian national anthem, to agreeing with an anti-LGBTQ political stance, to temper tantrums and cheap shots in the KHL... Why would you want this guy in your locker room?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad