Dreger: Ilya Kovalchuk in California; meeting with Kings and Sharks

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Anze Kopitar has never played with someone like Kovalchuk.

I'd be interested in seeing how much better he produces playing with someone other than Dustin Brown/Ryan Smyth/Justin Williams/etc.
It would look pretty unreal.

Kopitar with a legit sniper would be fun to watch.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Indeed I am an oilers fan. I am not saying he would win on the oilers.
It just seems like going to one of california teams listed is not a winning idea.
Penguins, Capitals, predators, Jets, lightning are all better choices.

this quote is getting overblown... it was just a way to announce his interest in going back to the nhl... as far as i know he is ur typical free agent that wants to cash in before his aging body gives up completely.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Indeed I am an oilers fan. I am not saying he would win on the oilers.
It just seems like going to one of california teams listed is not a winning idea.
Penguins, Capitals, predators, Jets, lightning are all better choices.
First, that's an opinion. No one knows what next year will bring.

Second, you know how teams get better? By signing good players that help them win. Is Kovalchuk that? Who knows, but it doesn't hurt to kick the tires.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
this quote is getting overblown... it was just a way to announce his interest in going back to the nhl... as far as i know he is ur typical free agent that wants to cash in before his aging body gives up completely.
He's got money , he walked away from the deal of the century to go play tax free hockey in the KHL .He wants a cup ring , can't be hanging with the Russian Hockey elite if you don't have one of those rings , would actually make sense for both parties for the Caps to sign him as a replacement for Ovi , He gets a real shot at his ring and they get a suitable replacement . Of course the same could be said of the Pens getting him to replace Kessel .

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
and the dog and pony show begins

well i guess the rangers rumors kicked that off.......

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
San Jose can sign him even with Kane's contract?

Yes. We have ample cap space even after Kane’s bloated contract. Buyout Martin, trade Boedker, and we can resign our RFAs and still have room for Tavares (with Thornton on a sweetheart deal). Kovalchuk fits easy. But it would throw us out of contention for Tavares.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Yes. We have ample cap space even after Kane’s bloated contract. Buyout Martin, trade Boedker, and we can resign our RFAs and still have room for Tavares (with Thornton on a sweetheart deal). Kovalchuk fits easy. But it would throw us out of contention for Tavares.

They should rather go for Tavares.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Because he paid for it, it’s been 4 years, and everyone deserves a second chance?(with an exception of murderers, etc.)

I get it from a moral/forgiveness standpoint, just not from a publicity/media/team image perspective.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He is not the same as before. The only good thing about him is skating, but everything else bad. Datsyuk could not play with him on the same line. 3 Rd line player under 2 mil, that is his volume

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad