Dreger: Ilya Kovalchuk in California; meeting with Kings and Sharks

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Indeed I am an oilers fan. I am not saying he would win on the oilers.
It just seems like going to one of california teams listed is not a winning idea.
Penguins, Capitals, predators, Jets, lightning are all better choices.
Those teams would have to want him though. Aside from maybe the Pens and Caps, the other teams don’t make much sense.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Indeed I am an oilers fan. I am not saying he would win on the oilers.
It just seems like going to one of california teams listed is not a winning idea.
Penguins, Capitals, predators, Jets, lightning are all better choices.

To be completely honest, it was a low effort post, made out of anger at the fact that you’re totally right. The Sharks are only a contender if we add Tavares or Erik Karlsson and adding Kovalchuk pretty much screws us over from doing that, cap wise. :(

But, as mentioned above, a lot of those teams really don’t make sense.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Gee, it reminds of Jimmy Vesey making the rounds a college UFA. We won't know till next year but it's possible Kovi has as much possible effect on his new team as Vesey has with the Rangers.... not much.

Reactions: Oryxo and Beville

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
To be completely honest, it was a low effort post, made out of anger at the fact that you’re totally right. The Sharks are only a contender if we add Tavares or Erik Karlsson and adding Kovalchuk pretty much screws us over from doing that, cap wise. :(

But, as mentioned above, a lot of those teams really don’t make sense.

Completely false. Baring a miraculous Fluery we would have made the third round this year, without Jumbo. Add in more experience for our young core and a health Thornton (fingers crossed) and I think we are in really good shape. Timo, Ryan, Tierney, DeMelo and Labanc especially are only better better.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Sharks are obviously going to be active in trying to get Tavares, but if it doesn't work out then sure bring on Kovalchuk

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Stand by for this to be an instant regret deal where he’s overpaid and underperforming...

He's looking for a two year contract. There isn't much risk taking Kovalchuk. If he sucks, he will only suck for two years. If he does good, you got a solid player

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's not unfair that he's asking for that, but man, I hope my team isn't the one giving him that contract.
I wouldn't go near that type of term for Kovy and he's one of my favorite players. I'd much rather do a one year deal for more money. There's just far too much risk with him getting older and obviously bailing last time around.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I wouldn't go near that type of term for Kovy and he's one of my favorite players. I'd much rather do a one year deal for more money. There's just far too much risk with him getting older and obviously bailing last time around.

Well the report was 2-3 years at around 6 per. I would be ok with a 2 year deal anymore than 2 I would pass on. It’s a risk, but worth the risk if you can keep it to 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad