Dreger: Ilya Kovalchuk in California; meeting with Kings and Sharks

member 157595

That team is overflowing with (overpaid) veterans. There's no way Holland is targeting Kovalchuk for his "veteran presence."

Which brings me back to my original statement... what is Detroit doing? Kovalchuk doesn't do much at all to make Detroit a playoff contender next year.

I agree with you, but whether Holland does or not is the real question. :laugh:

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That team is overflowing with (overpaid) veterans. There's no way Holland is targeting Kovalchuk for his "veteran presence."

Which brings me back to my original statement... what is Detroit doing? Kovalchuk doesn't do much at all to make Detroit a playoff contender next year.

Probably just kicking tires and seeing what he wants.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Kuznetsov would easily be the best forward on the sharks and it’s not even close. He dominated the playoffs like few before him have. And was off a rather strong regular season as well
One of those few being Couture just 2 years ago....

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I get the concept of having veterans on a rebuilding team to help out the youth; in fact, I'm a big fan of that concept.

The thing is, I'm not sure if that's actually Ken Holland's mindset, or is it instead that he thinks Detroit can make the playoffs next season.
My guess is it would be for a 1 year deal, he asks Kovy which contender he wants to go to at the TDL, Detroit eats half of his salary and gets a 1st round pick for him. Wings still miss the playoffs and gain an extra pick. Win Win

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Bruins have serious interest it seems. 2 years @ 6 million per

Marchand-Bergeron-Kovalchuk
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak

This allows Sweeney to perhaps deal a good prospect + Krug for an upgrade at LHD

member 157595

My guess is it would be for a 1 year deal, he asks Kovy which contender he wants to go to at the TDL, Detroit eats half of his salary and gets a 1st round pick for him. Wings still miss the playoffs and gain an extra pick. Win Win

Why on Earth would Kovalchuk accept a 1-year deal when NHL contracts are guaranteed? More than 1 team will offer multiple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad