Player Discussion Ilya Kovalchuk: 'Building Through the Draft' Edition

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Waste of a roster spot. I have nothing against Kovalchuk but it's illogical for him to be on the team next year. We will have cap space that could be better utilized for players with more long-term potential in the organization.

And if you think you're getting the 10 games version of Kovalchuk next year when he's even older and there's a global pandemic making it tough to train, I would preach extreme caution with that opinion.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Waste of a roster spot. I have nothing against Kovalchuk but it's illogical for him to be on the team next year. We will have cap space that could be better utilized for players with more long-term potential in the organization.

And if you think you're getting the 10 games version of Kovalchuk next year when he's even older and there's a global pandemic making it tough to train, I would preach extreme caution with that opinion.

Which such better players will magically sign with us?

Kovy may not have a future, be sure is good for our young player, and in that way is good for our future. Much better for Suzuki or Domi to play with the Kovy we saw than with Lehkonen, Armia, or Byron.

Reactions: Holystik

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

Yeah, we're loaded with offensive talent already. don't need an elite scorer.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Which such better players will magically sign with us?

Kovy may not have a future, be sure is good for our young player, and in that way is good for our future. Much better for Suzuki or Domi to play with the Kovy we saw than with Lehkonen, Armia, or Byron.

Better? I mean, depends how good you think he is. Kovy came in on fire, then cooled off after 10 games. If he signs here to be the February Kovalchuk, well he isn't going to help anybody.

If we're going into next season with Kovalchuk as our best move, we're going to miss the POs once again.
I guess that doesn't matter anymore...POs, no POs, who cares.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Better? I mean, depends how good you think he is. Kovy came in on fire, then cooled off after 10 games. If he signs here to be the February Kovalchuk, well he isn't going to help anybody.

If we're going into next season with Kovalchuk as our best move, we're going to miss the POs once again.
I guess that doesn't matter anymore...POs, no POs, who cares.

I'd take Hoffman (or Hall) and Kovy.

What do you have in mind?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kovy had a good 10 games then disappeared. Hopefully it's just a 1 year deal.

He was still getting a lot of chances though during his final 10 games. I wouldn't say he disappeared. Plus how many important shootout goals did he get that don't show up on the stat sheet?

What Drouin did, or didn't do, that's disappearing.

Reactions: the

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He was still getting a lot of chances though during his final 10 games. I wouldn't say he disappeared. Plus how many important shootout goals did he get that don't show up on the stat sheet?
He wasn't and it was quite apparent. I don't mind him coming back at a decent price and for only 1 year so he can give the youngsters another year in the A.

Another thing, he absolutely can't be played as much as he was. 13-15 minutes at most.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd take Hoffman (or Hall) and Kovy.

What do you have in mind?

The free agency market this year is as boring as it's ever been. I'm not really interested in Hoffman either.
We need to stop looking at players individually and start understanding again how we are building a team.
Hoffman....he's just another similar player to what we already have. We need size, we need raw skill, we need physical players.
Kovalchuk a few years ago, a big skilled player who can play with a physical edge? Hell ya, but right now, no. The guy is 37, he was dropped by a team, had a good 10 game stretch with us, then disappeared. I wouldn't bet on him.
Hoffman ya, he can produce, but he doesn't bring anything we don't already have.

I would really have a chat with BigBuff to see where his head and body is at. He could be such a great addition if he's in shape and willing.
Assuming he isn't, I throw everything at Pietrangelo. Big mobile Dman who can rush it up, cup winning captain. Sign me up.
Up front, I look at Taylor Hall. Speed, skill, and is also a big body.

After that, I trade guys. I move one or two of Gallagher, Tatar, Domi, Drouin, Byron, Danault. Ideally, Domi and Drouin.
Our line up is too similar up front. Nobody is scared or intimated by us, it's beyond pathetic.

Jerryvvv

Apr 4, 2020
I don't mind him coming back at a decent price

why though?

if the plan is to "build through the draft" signing a player like Kovy is going against that plan,

he is just taking ice time away from the kids, its pointless

give the kids the ice time to develop and play and learn,

the only way prospects/kids get better is by playing

the only thing that makes you better at something is experience, they arn't learning anything sitting on the bench while a washed up vet kills their minutes

kovy serves no point on this team whatsoever, he is just another plug

we aint making the playoffs with him, and we aint making the playoffs without him,

let the kids play

Last edited:

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Lol people hating on Kovalchuk.

Meanwhile if it wasn’t for him we would probably be in game #20 of our historical losing streak by now.
Not to mention, people think there’s these magical trades and free agents that are suddenly going to make the Habs contenders. There probably isn’t. The team needs to build up with prospects and hope they can grab a vet or 2 that can contribute. After that, if competitive, then they can look at trading prospects for more significant help without sacrificing the future.
Yes, they are in a bad spot, but I think 2 years ago showed what they can do when healthy. Imagine when these prospects start panning out.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
why though?

if the plan is to "build through the draft" signing a player like Kovy is going against that plan,

the only thing that makes you better at something is experience, they arn't learning anything sitting on the bench while a washed up vet kills their minutes

we aint making the playoffs with him, and we aint making the playoffs without him,

let the kids play
Unfortunately at this point in time, we don't have enough kids who are ready to be everyday NHL players. If we can leave them in the AHL for another year of developing, we should.

Jerryvvv

Apr 4, 2020
Imagine when these prospects start panning out.

banking on our prospects getting better to save us is not a strategy, thats just hope

every team has prospects getting better every year, we are no exception, and our prospect pool is average at best

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
why though?

let the kids play

The idea is Kovalchuk can be a good mentor for up and coming kids. But that would be if he embraced the role to begin with and stick as a depth player. We were playing the guy 20 min per game. That's how desperate for talent we are.
But I agree, we don't need him. If Kovy is our summer move...just tank and suck again.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not to mention, people think there’s these magical trades and free agents that are suddenly going to make the Habs contenders. There probably isn’t. The team needs to build up with prospects and hope they can grab a vet or 2 that can contribute. After that, if competitive, then they can look at trading prospects for more significant help without sacrificing the future.
Yes, they are in a bad spot, but I think 2 years ago showed what they can do when healthy. Imagine when these prospects start panning out.

Haven't read anybody here who's against signing Kovalchuk talk about how we can make signings/trades turning us into contenders. Like...where did you read this??
Even if we signed Pietro and Hall, we aren't contenders.

Two years ago we missed the POs...That's what you're putting your hopes on? We were generally healthy, a lot of our guys were playing well, and we missed the POs. Wow...
Our prospects aren't particularly close to being big NHL contributors, and even then, there's no guarantee they'll become solid. After that, you need to look at our vets....Gallagher...Petry...Tatar...Danault...all need extensions within the next year. Domi needs one this summer. We gonna re-sign all these guys? Why? So we can be a mediocre team with the best hope of battling for a PO spot??
Not to mention, teams and the league will need to rearrange certain things. If no sports events will be held open to public for the remainder of the year 2020, revenues are going to be way lower. Certainly, owners aren't going to lock themselves up to big longterm salaries as easily. The cap will likely get affected as well.

Signing Kovalchuk isn't going to change much of anything here. There's no point unless it comes with other important moves.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The idea is Kovalchuk can be a good mentor for up and coming kids. But that would be if he embraced the role to begin with and stick as a depth player. We were playing the guy 20 min per game. That's how desperate for talent we are.
But I agree, we don't need him. If Kovy is our summer move...just tank and suck again.
You aren't wrong, but I'd still rather have Kovy over any Cousins/Weal player. We got the cap space and he does add some size.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You aren't wrong, but I'd still rather have Kovy over any Cousins/Weal player. We got the cap space and he does add some size.

It's not really about him or them. Different players, different roles. Kovy would never succeed in Weal's role, or vice versa.
I rather we move on from Kovy and focus on different plans.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's not really about him or them. Different players, different roles. Kovy would never succeed in Weal's role, or vice versa.
I rather we move on from Kovy and focus on different plans.
Weal is often used on the PP, of course Kovalchuk would succeed in that role compared to Weal. Hes also bigger.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Weal is often used on the PP, of course Kovalchuk would succeed in that role compared to Weal. Hes also bigger.

Well, funny you say this because their scoring rate on PP is similar. So, not sure just how much more successful he'd be there. His scoring rate was similar in LA too.
I don't want Weal nor Kovy. Let's move on to something else instead of arguing someone who had 2 PP in 22GP is better than one with 5pts in 49GP.
Neither of them are good.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well, funny you say this because their scoring rate on PP is similar. So, not sure just how much more successful he'd be there. His scoring rate was similar in LA too.
I don't want Weal nor Kovy. Let's move on to something else instead of arguing someone who had 2 PP in 22GP is better than one with 5pts in 49GP.
Neither of them are good.
How is their PP similar? Kovalchuk has the same amount in 10 less games. Also one is a 6'3 player that has 0.56 PPG while the other one is 5'10 and 0.3 PPG player this season. It's not even close production wise and the size difference definitely favours Kovy. I don't know how you can say with a straight face that their impact is similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad