Player Discussion Ilya Kovalchuk: 'Building Through the Draft' Edition

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Kovalchuk play was just a lazy play not a mental or system error. He stop skating and that’s was one of the reason why no team wanted him 2 months ago

I admit to be underwhelmed with getting Kovy but was pleasantly surprised with him. That said, he’s cooled off (like most of the team) so moving him ASAP would be a good idea given the season is lost. I mean, I’m sure he’d be cool with it if moved to a contender and if he genuinely loves Montreal that much, he might consider coming back this summer.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Kovalchuk was mostly effective with a very engaged center and winger, as he could be used to his strength, as the triggerman. Right now, he has to do it all playng on lesser lines and his age is showing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Was fun while it lasted.....but it's not happening anymore. Get rid of him. Signing him would be a mistake.

Trade him for two 2nd's (2021 and 2022). Sign him to a $3M base +$3M bonus (55+ pts and 20+ goals) contract in July. Then trade him for another 2nd or 3rd next deadline :laugh:

Having him around if Romanov comes over is a good thing IMO.

Reactions: Walrus26

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Have to wonder if his trade value was higher three weeks ago. On his contract the cap isn't really an issue.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Trade him for two 2nd's (2021 and 2022). Sign him to a $3M base +$3M bonus (55+ pts and 20+ goals) contract in July. Then trade him for another 2nd or 3rd next deadline :laugh:

Having him around if Romanov comes over is a good thing IMO.

If he can't produce, it won't be a good thing. As of today, no teams would give us a 2nd rounder based on his last games. Impossible. I also said before that keeping him could be fine based on Romanov coming...but the guy still needs to put some points on the table.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he can't produce, it won't be a good thing. As of today, no teams would give us a 2nd rounder based on his last games. Impossible.

I don't think the last few games are a major factor. He is still getting scoring chances, skating well and working hard. Do you think Scandela's goal against the Leafs was the reason why the Blues gave us a 2nd and 4th?

Supply and demand is a huge factor here. Blues needed a LD like Scandela and paid the price. Kovalchuk is no doubt in my mind a solid top 6 winger and teams will be looking for that.

2nd+ an the + is determined by how many teams want him and fight for him... Book it

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

I think it's too much but as long as it's a 1 year deal, I'm ok with it. His compete level has fallen off the map and of course his defensive play is horrific, always was.

Trade him for a 3rd, all we're getting for him and then bring him back if agreed upon.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think it's too much but as long as it's a 1 year deal, I'm ok with it. His compete level has fallen off the map and of course his defensive play is horrific, always was.

Trade him for a 3rd, all we're getting for him and then bring him back if agreed upon.
People are focusing on the detrout Green goal where he was puck watching and didn't see him skate from behind him. Yet on the winning goal, Weber goes after Bertuzzi, when he's already covered by Chiarot and Suzuki, leaving the trailer wide open. He was also puck watching. It's what this team seems trained to do. Yet no one's calling Weber a train wreck defensively. It's a double standard.

Personally I think the coachubg staff preaches puck watching and has been incapable of getting ALL the players, not just Kovy, of picking up open me . It's happened all year.

This would bever happen under Trotz. Trotz comes in and all of a sudden Greis has one of the best save percentages in the league and Lehner wins the Vezina...Halak was an AHL goalie under weight. Now under Cassidy his save percentage is top notch.

Coaching matters.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
People are focusing on the detrout Green goal where he was puck watching and didn't see him skate from behind him. Yet on the winning goal, Weber goes after Bertuzzi, when he's already covered by Chiarot and Suzuki, leaving the trailer wide open. He was also puck watching. It's what this team seems trained to do. Yet no one's calling Weber a train wreck defensively. It's a double standard.

Personally I think the coachubg staff preaches puck watching and has been incapable of getting ALL the players, not just Kovy, of picking up open me . It's happened all year.

This would bever happen under Trotz. Trotz comes in and all of a sudden Greis has one of the best save percentages in the league and Lehner wins the Vezina...Halak was an AHL goalie under weight. Now under Cassidy his save percentage is top notch.

Coaching matters.
Weber is a trainwreck defensively... come on man. 9 times out of 10, he makes the right play. Mistakes happen to every player. Kovy is dog crap defensively, has been his whole career. Don't pick and choose plays to try and make a point.

Reactions: WinterLion

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I expect him to be traded in the next 72hrs and I hope there's no serious thought of extending him for next year.
He should be moved if possible and if we can find a younger player when free agency opens, then no, he shouldn't be brought back.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Weber is a trainwreck defensively... come on man. 9 times out of 10, he makes the right play. Mistakes happen to every player. Kovy is dog crap defensively, has been his whole career. Don't pick and choose plays to try and make a point.

That's what the other poster was doing. Not me.

Reactions: Goal Caufield

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I expect him to be traded in the next 72hrs and I hope there's no serious thought of extending him for next year.
Yeah I don't think MB is serious about extending Kovalchuk, MB just blowing smoke up the other GM's butts to get a better return on the trade.

You know the thinking, if the one GM wants to sign him he 'must be really good";)

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
He better not be serious about extending him. What the f***! f***ing Bergy is on crack if he thinks this team is a playoff team next year! And guess what, even if they do get in the playoffs, does he actually think they'll compete for the Stanley Cup? Sell Sell Sell!!!!

My tipping point or level of tolerance is generally higher than most, but if Bergevin does nothing at the trade deadline or draft, I will lose my shit!! :madfire:

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I'd resign him for a one year 1.5millionish if he wants to come back.Try to get a second or 3rd for him and bring him back for one more.He's cooled off a bit but I can still see the compete and think he can still be a 20 goal 45 point guy with pp time.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Thanks for the short enjoyable stint. Best of luck in Washington!

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Thanks a lot Kovy, it was awesome to see you show off your amazing skills, unfortunately you showed up here 15 years too late.

Reactions: Andrei79

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Eric Engles already basically confirmed Kovy was coming back with this in a recent article.

Canadiens' Caufield staying in Wisconsin could open spot for Ylonen - Sportsnet.ca

And yes, even considering the likelihood of soon-to-be 37-year-old Ilya Kovalchuk returning in the off-season — if you weren’t fully convinced of it after Kovalchuk told reporters his February trade to the Washington Capitals was “not goodbye, for sure,” I’m told it’s all but a slam dunk the big right-hander will be back in Montreal on a bonus-laden contract.

Kovy also posted an Insta pic with French hashtags today.

He still follows and likes Habs Instagram content all the time.

Not that Insta activity confirms anything but all the signs are pointing to him coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad