Player Discussion Ilya Kovalchuk: 'Building Through the Draft' Edition

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No more half measures ffs. Commit to a strategy 100%. Half measures have never worked for us.

MB's plan is try to to be as competitive as possible without trading prospects or 1st and 2nd round picks.

If the team starts to do well, he may start trading picks at next year's deadline. If the team fails next year, he may sell at the deadline.

What does he have to do for the team to besuccessful next year. 3 things.

1. Re-sign Kovalchuk
2. Sign an additional skilled UFA (let's see if he's learning signing cousins and weal and leaving 6.5 million if cap space doesn't provide the depth of talent we need in case of injury).
3. Sign a good backup goalie.

(If he needs the cap space to make these happen, trade Byron)

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
MB's plan is try to to be as competitive as possible without trading prospects or 1st and 2nd round picks.

If the team starts to do well, he may start trading picks at next year's deadline. If the team fails next year, he may sell at the deadline.

1. Re-sign Kovalchuk
2. Sign an additional skilled UFA (let's see if he's learning signing cousins and weal and leaving 6.5 million if cap space doesn't provide the depth of talent we need in case of injury).

#1 Acquire a legitimate 1st pairing LHD
#2 See #1
#3 See #2

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
#1 Acquire a legitimate 1st pairing LHD
#2 See #1
#3 See #2

Ok but what assets do you give up to do that, without giving up 1sts, 2nds, and prospects?

Domi is the logical choice. And if Domi goes I try to sign a 2nd skilled ufa forward, in addition to Kovalchuk and the 1st skilled ufa forward. I want KK to get the full year in Laval next year.

Imo Lehkonen should be on the 4th line.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Ok but what assets do you give up to do that, without giving up 1sts, 2nds, and prospects?
You give them up if that's what it takes, I'd do Caufield, Mete and a 1st for Lindholm without blinking

They have maybe 4 years to try and compete with the veteran core, either need to add to that and go for it or start moving them out and build through the draft

Sitting on the fence hasn't worked for 20 years

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Kovy has been an absolute beauty to watch with the Habs. If we could re-sign him to a 2 x 5 mil contract, I would be okay with that seeing as we aren't using our cap for anything else at this point. I would worry that he regresses back to LA level Kovy though. I also wouldn't trade domi….I think he is far more versatile than Tatar....not to mention younger...

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
You give them up if that's what it takes, I'd do Caufield, Mete and a 1st for Lindholm without blinking

They have maybe 4 years to try and compete with the veteran core, either need to add to that and go for it or start moving them out and build through the draft

Sitting on the fence hasn't worked for 20 years

Yeah we're going to compete with 37 year old Weber and 35 year old Price , you're dreaming.
Doubling down on Bergevin's original idea is probably the dumbest thing we can do.
The team is youthful and has solid pieces in the pipeline we certainly aren't tethered to our older veterans , so trade or let the old pieces grow old while providing mentorship.
Invest in the youth rebuild and since optimising the tank isn't a thing in Montreal , draft BPA available at the draft and attempt to acquire more Suzuki's from our assets.

This should be the plan , keep adding to our youth core by leveraging veterans , drafting well and solid buy low trades.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Sign Kovalchuk for one (or even two) years.

He makes games worth watching.

Maybe he could even hit the 500-500-1000 point milestone in a Habs uniform....

Reactions: Redux91

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Kovy was not signed for his mentoring and developing youth skills.

He was a desperation signature as a stop gap to generate some offense in answer to all the injuries we had up front.

Make no mistake, Kovy signed with Montréal because he had the offer on the table when it comes to playing time and opportunities.

He wants to win a cup, he won't do it in Montreal but he will do what's necessary to showcase himself for a trade to a contenir and Montreal made the most sense.

Sorry man the discussion is about re-signing the player. We know why we signed him in the first place. What I do care about is keeping the asset for all of the reasons stated in this thread.

Reactions: Redux91

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
It would be malpractice not to re-sign him at this point (assuming a reasonable contact and cap hit of course). This year's UFA class is pitiful and we've already stockpilled a considerable amount of draft picks for 2020.

The only value coming back that would make sense is a first rounder or very good prospect who projects to be an NHLer next year and I doubt GMs will part with that for a rental like Kovy.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Maybe he can pull a Selanne and put up some elite seasons after looking like he's done until 40+. Hopefully Weber can pull a Chelios and put up Norris caliber seasons until 40 and Price Brodeur's his way to 40 too.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

1. Re-sign Kovalchuk

MB's plan is to sheild MB from short-term criticism, not secure the long term health of the Montreal Canadiens.

Reactions: 26Mats

HelloBellyvo

Jul 2, 2019
walk up to him. sit down with him in a quiet place. Take two shot glasses out and a bottle of pristine russian vodka. Go through the bottle and ask him if he can see himself here for another year or two. He's been turning into a fan favorite and edging cult hero for the short time he has been here. He is feeling the love, and so are we.

If he is really not willing to commit, trade him. That's the logical approach, 100%. I totally get why people think we should move him rather than seeing him play until the rest of the season.

But, not me. There is something romantic as a fan right now to see him suit up and care so much. I haven't been that emotionally stimulated about the habs for a while now. I had given up on the team, and i'd like to point out that I have a record of being one of the most positive posters here about our habs.

its hard to pin point it, but, seeing him play for the habs....

doesn't it feel right ?
It shows that since Kovalchuk arrived we are starved for a player who shows passion and excitement when he plays. We love a superstar like Kovy because he connects with the fans' hearts

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Kovalchuk has cooled off, five games without a point. Five L for the Habs.
The last three games his TOI has been down as well.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
And continuing to play terribly defensively.

Should be traded and possibly brought back on a 1 year contract.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Let's focus about our future. The rest is meaningless for me. If there's a opportunity to receive something useful in exchange let's do it.

Don't CHoke. Risks are part of this game.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He's cooled off on the scoresheet, but he's still had a lot of chances and generated a lot of chances.

Did you see the play last night where he skated the puck from the redline all the way to the Deteoit zone then around the net to set a play up - 5 on 5. Then there was the open net he got himself into position for and Petry made a great pass. Then the post he hit in the 3rd against the Pens, etc... he's still dangerous.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He's cooled off on the scoresheet, but he's still had a lot of chances and generated a lot of chances.

Did you see the play last night where he skated the puck from the redline all the way to the Deteoit zone then around the net to set a play up - 5 on 5. Then there was the open net he got himself into position for and Petry made a great pass. Then the post he hit in the 3rd against the Pens, etc... he's still dangerous.

did you see the Mike Green goal though. That’s probably cool off the scout that where there

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
did you see the Mike Green goal though. That’s probably cool off the scout that where there

yes. But honestly man, this team all year has been puck watching and not covering their man. I can't just single out Kovalchuk here when the team's been doing it all year.

Take the winning goal. Both Suzuki and Chiarot take the puck carrier (Bertuzzi) who's at the side of the net. So Suzuki should have taken the trailer. But look at Weber also. He takes no one. There was no reason for both of them to not pick up the free man. And this happens all the time, all year.

This has to be on Julien. Who else can it be on?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
yes. But honestly man, this team all year has been puck watching and not covering their man. I can't just single out Kovalchuk here when the team's been doing it all year.

Take the winning goal. Both Suzuki and Chiarot take the puck carrier (Bertuzzi) who's at the side of the net. So Suzuki should have taken the trailer. But look at Weber also. He takes no one. There was no reason for both of them to not pick up the free man. And this happens all the time, all year.

This has to be on Julien. Who else can it be on?

Kovalchuk play was just a lazy play not a mental or system error. He stop skating and that’s was one of the reason why no team wanted him 2 months ago

Reactions: sandviper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad