Confirmed with Link: Ilya Bryzgalov for 4th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Good luck with that. :laugh:

If he recovers completely from his surgery, give him a few games to showcase him next season. Then trade him for whatever we can get. At this point, Bryz > Bäckström.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Didn't he get bought out last summer, start the season on an ECHL tyout this year and sign with the Oilers in the fall?

I get that he's got his own logic when making his decisions, but I'm not sure how going to a playoffs with the Wild this year would make him want to come back any less than the offseason he had last year.

I'd guess its just like Muck said, Bryz being Bryz.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I'm guessing he's just hedging his bets by floating that out there, so he can bow out gracefully on his own terms if he doesn't get a contract he's happy with. Keep in mind, this is a guy who's going to be very cautious about where he signs considering how he was crucified by the media in his last few gigs.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Not every goalie is a Brodeur or Hasek. Mid 30s takes a toll on most humans. That 3 years of youth for Bryz over Backs ain't chicken scratch, especially when the younger one has a better track record for health

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Lets see what he does in the playoffs. And then make some resigning decisions. I like Bryz, but can't get his Philly playoff debacles out of my head. I think he is very underrated when it comes to how talented he is and obviously Fletchers move has panned out so far. I hope it continues.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Lets see what he does in the playoffs. And then make some resigning decisions. I like Bryz, but can't get his Philly playoff debacles out of my head. I think he is very underrated when it comes to how talented he is and obviously Fletchers move has panned out so far. I hope it continues.

How was philly's defense?

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Let's see how the rest of the year plays out, but I like Bryz.

If everything stays as is, I would be quite happy bringing him back.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Wild will have three goalies under contract without Bryz though. And that includes Kuemper getting a raise.

Well, you gotta figure they'll do something with Harding a the very least. And I'm inclined to think something will be done with Backstrom as well. I would not throw a fit if they just bought out the contract at the full price and just take the hit for 2 years. Next year it is completely moot if you think about it. If they resign Bryz to a $2.5, it could just be thought of we have a $6M goalie still...sucks, but the alternative is a lot worse IMO. Bryz is 5-0-3 or something isn't he? I know he has not lost in regulation yet. That will be HUGE going into the playoffs. No shootout.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
They can't though. Both goalies are going to be on IR to end the year, which means they can't be bought out or traded until the start of next year. Hands are completely tied.

The only goalie they can walk away from is Kuemper, who they obviously don't want to walk away from. They are going to have to offer him a contract and it's going to have to be a one-way.

There's no way around it; they will have to start the season with three goalies on the roster and make a move right away. Whether that's trading Backstrom or Harding or putting Harding on LTIR if he's sick, I don't know.

And they certainly won't have the roster spot to sign another goalie.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
They can't though. Both goalies are going to be on IR to end the year, which means they can't be bought out or traded until the start of next year. Hands are completely tied.

The only goalie they can walk away from is Kuemper, who they obviously don't want to walk away from. They are going to have to offer him a contract and it's going to have to be a one-way.

There's no way around it; they will have to start the season with three goalies on the roster and make a move right away. Whether that's trading Backstrom or Harding or putting Harding on LTIR if he's sick, I don't know.

And they certainly won't have the roster spot to sign another goalie.

Looking at the situation, I think we do Kuemper-Backstrom and just hope and pray that Backs can return to form. Contrary to popular belief here, I don't think Bryz returns with the Wild for next season. I think Kuemper is our starter next year.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
he will probably go back to Russia until we have injuries to our goalies next year around 3 quarters of the year. Then we sign him before the trade deadline.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
You guys don't think the Wild will sign a UFA like Hiller or Halak?

At this point I highly doubt the Wild will go for someone like that when we've got Harding and Backs still on contract, Kuemper waiting in the wings, and with Bryz as a sudden wild card option for next year.

I would not be opposed to putting both Backs and Harding on LTIR and rolling with Bryz/Kuemps next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad