I'll Gladly Pay You Tuesday for a CBA Today (CBA & Lockout Discussion) - Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
He said that they wanted the league to respect the current contracts. He also said that 50/50 was a "small" detail and that many things were a part of it.

He said that "escrow and rollback are the same thing for us"

He also said that "if the owners can lock us out and take back our salaries, we can go on strike and ask for a raise"

Finally, there will be many players in attendance in the meeting tomorrow, expected to be there are Toews, Stamkos and Crosby, amongst others.

Tough talk from a guy who has played his last NHL game already. I'm disappointed. I wouldn't feel a bit sorry for the players if this ended as a fiasco and they all lost 50% of their current wages + years of salary.

I wish we would find players that want to play for the love of the game instead of playing the finance game.

RedWingsNow*

That's what I realistically expected, Fehr will have a brainwashing session and then the players will be beating the drum on how bad the deal is for them etc.

The deal proposed yesterday is horrid for the PA.

It's not even close to anything the PA will accept. The only way the PA accepts an offer that bad if they cave after six months.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm sure the PA is parsing everything line by line tonight. I'd say everything is up in the air.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
"Less Bad". :laugh:

Really hate this argument. It has no legs.

I think the players say this because at first glance it did look like the players gave up a ton on the last CBA. The salary cap being the biggest concession on the players side. Years later as the cap goes up the players are raking in the cash.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

Tough talk from a guy who has played his last NHL game already. I'm disappointed. I wouldn't feel a bit sorry for the players if this ended as a fiasco and they all lost 50% of their current wages + years of salary.

I wish we would find players that want to play for the love of the game instead of playing the finance game.

That's a pretty rotten thing to say about player who play the entire playoffs without pay.
Who play the Olympics without pay.
Who play in countless other tournaments without pay.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It must come awfully close. If the math is right 50/50 takes you back to 2010. 52/48 brings it this way a bit more doesn't it?

Not really. If the PA were to actually propose something that was based off of a % instead of what they've been doing, I'd be shocked to see them go less than 55 or 54%. Otherwise growth would have to be well over 7% and the NHL claims they've already lost 100m in preseason games, meaning growth would have to be even higher.

To date the PA hasn't been interested in anything other than 1.87B+ as their share. I honestly do not expect that to change tomorrow.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
That's a pretty rotten thing to say about player who play the entire playoffs without pay.

90% of people on this board would give up their jobs and play hockey at minimum wage every day of the year.

RedWingsNow*

90% of people on this board would give up their jobs and play hockey at minimum wage every day of the year.

Sure they would.
Unless they were actually good enough to do it. In which case they'd expect to be paid for their skilled service.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site

Cry me a river... Write me a check today for $1M and I'll work without pay for the next 364 days. PM me for my name and adress I won't even resist a minute... :P

IslesBeBack*

Matthew Darche ladies and gentlemen, the same scrub who had he not given his horrible two cents, everybody would have forgotten who he was.

Hey, Darche Deuche, how's your salary that is 50X that of a regular paying job?

Jump off a tall bridge. Tie Toews to your back.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
While the NHL offer isn't ideal for the players, if they choose to ignore it rather than work off it, the offer they end up getting down the road is going to be even worse. I won't say that we'll learn tomorrow if there will be hockey this year but I think we learn if there will be a full season or not.

Crows*

Jp barry ( agent) on Vancouver radio saying he's optimistic. " real negotiations " can start now.

Says players calling him to ask for analysis.

Says players are nervous.

Says nhl proposal has enough overlap to get things going and is optimistic negotiations can get going if ... Nhl makes concessions.

Says he believes there is enough here to come together.

IslesBeBack*

It's only horrid when Uncle Fehr explains it to all his children in the PA.

Hey, guys, the NHL presented us with an absolutely terrible offer. But, please, read what it entails.

That's how this guy starts off an e-mail to a bunch of morons. Can we see the sheep mentality already?

RedWingsNow*

Cry me a river... Write me a check today for $1M and I'll work without pay for the next 364 days. PM me for my name and adress I won't even resist a minute... :P

You should go root for the NFL, NBA and MLB teams. Because those are guys that play for the "love of the game."

Hockey is the one sport where I rarely question the players' commitment to the game. If I hated the players as much as BOH does, I'd not bother watching the NHL.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I can sort of understand where they are coming from with the "Well, if we rollback again in one way or another, they'll keep rolling us back every 6-7 years..." thing. But the money figures we're talking about here makes it difficult to feel bad for the players.

Your yearly salary was 1M during the last lockout. You lost 24% of it, so you only have 760,000$ of it back. Well, your rolled back salary is 20 times mine....so I can totally see the principle, but with the money figures we're talking about, I can't be sympathetic, I can't understand, all I see is people who make at least 10 times my salary who won't accept that pay over a question of principle, and deny me my pleasure of watching a hockey game when I get home from work. Now, the owners having feeding frenzies over the free agent market CERTAINLY has something to do with this problem, but I can't feel sympathetic for the players.

And also like others have said a guy like Mathieu Darche who was such a nice story a couple of years ago, the classic, the old guy getting one last kick at the can after being forgotten in the minors. Man, **** you, if it weren't for the Habs signing you years ago, you would have left for Europe, and by now, you would have been bumped off your team in the DEL to make room for one of the locked out guys!

Oh, by the way, Mathieu Darche, that's the guy who was too good to sign a 2-way deal with the Habs last summer and very publically rejected that offer.

**** that ****ing scrub Mathieu Darche.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Getting really scared of Fehr rignt now.........

He is not, never were and never will be a hockey guy.
He's a money guy, a union guy.....a baseball guy at best....but not a hockey guy.

I keep hearing the same thing over and over coming from the players......and i see how Fehr explain things to them, how he turned them into...him

Players keep repeating how much money they will loose ($1.6B right now)

But how could they loose money that isn't theirs in the first place?
Where it is written that the player's share of the last CBA would last forever?

But that's what Fehr is selling to the players right now (and us)....the idea that everything below 57% is the property of the players.

Technically speaking, if we talk about money.....it's a paycut of 115 millions the first year, then after that they will make more money than they are making now....and they make even more years after years.

They're talking about paycut but after the second year they will make more money.
I would love to have these kind of paycut.......

From Fehr's point of view, the players will loose 1.6billion.....but that's only if you beleive that the 57% and below IS the property of the players and it's not.

The "making whole* from the owners offers......Fehr explain it to them as : "Players paying Players".....but that is only true if you believe that 57% is their property.

Fehr is a hell of a salesman.

IslesBeBack*

While the NHL offer isn't ideal for the players, if they choose to ignore it rather than work off it, the offer they end up getting down the road is going to be even worse. I won't say that we'll learn tomorrow if there will be hockey this year but I think we learn if there will be a full season or not.

Exactly. If the issue is not wanting to take a paycut, then they need to come up with a substantial mechanism to

A) Freeze the 57% AND put more money in the owners' pockets.

So unless uncle dinosaur has a real plan, he should stop sending out blatant propaganda e-mails. I mean, for f's sake, he had to remind the players what their own stance was going forward.

RedWingsNow*

Jp barry ( agent) on Vancouver radio saying he's optimistic. " real negotiations " can start now.

Says players calling him to ask for analysis.

Good. Players should bounce these ideas off another source.

RedWingsNow*

It means he will brainwash the players into thinking whatever he wants them to think.

Ah.
Thanks for clearing that up.

So the players fired their old PA guy and hired the new guy so they could get brainwashed into doing what he did for the MLB union.

Makes sense to me:sarcasm:

Would this be like the guy who hires a hypnotist to help him lose weight then? Brainwashed by choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad