OT: I'll be in Montreal Wednesday night, restaurant suggestions

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I've only actually been there once. It was during the winter, around the time the Winter Olympics were going on. I think the host was tall and sort of lanky. Pretty funny dude though.

We won both times so it was a good night.
Yeah that's my best friend. I'll be there monday I think.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Weinstein and Gavino is on Crescent and close to the rink... It is a bit tourisy, but I find the atmosphere terrific, especially on gamedays.

The Bier Mrkt on Rene Levesque just a block from the Bell Centre is good atmosphere as well.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
If you like portuguese chicken, I recommend Romados (115 Rachel street, between de Buliion street and avenue Coloniale) as it is a really good place to go to for a good, cheap and hearty meal with (IMO) the best chicken in town and good portuguese pastries (pasteis de nata) while also immersing yourself in the quite-european feel of that part of town. I must warn you though, there is sometimes a bit of a line while waiting to place your order.

As mentioned above, their prices are really good. For 9.75$, they give you a 1/2 chicken to go along with fries, rice or a salad, and for 13$ they give you a whole chicken.

If you have time, you should definitely go check them out.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the OP all the way through; Romados doesn't, to my knowledge at least, broadcast the game.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Last time I was at Irish Embassy they told me that I couldn't pay with debit and that I had to take out cash. Haven't gone there back since.

Let me guess? They own the ATM that charges you $2.50 everytime....i refuse to attend any establishment that encourages a blatant money grab.

That happened to the me once at a place called Cooper's in Mississauga, ON. I paid with Visa.

Analyzer*

Station des Sports for great atmosphere and cheap food and beer. Nowadays pretty much every bars show the game tho.

This.

Station des Sports has awful food.

Good pub food can be found nearly anywhere else but Station des Sports. And you don't have to get there TOO early, but it is opening night.

Station des Sports has a lot of TVs, so that's nice, but for the food? The food itself sucks.

Have their burger with everything on it and fries. Twas delicious.

You only go to Peel Pub on Thursdays.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
Hi Guys,

I'll be in Montreal on opening night and would like to soak in the atmosphere. I havn't to the city in awhile but what are some places I could go to catch the game? I'm going on the assumption I'll have to get to most places early, say 4:30-5:00 ?

Suggestions welcome.

Well it really depend from which team your initialy cheering from. If your coming from Boston,Toronto or Ottawa, i highly recommand Restaurant Wah Do on St-Catherine. Sure, they got tickets for not having their restaurent in proper condition, but hey, there is a TV right there ( an old CRT but thats ok ) and they will gently put it at the hockey game if you ask nicely.

If your cheering for the Montreal Canadians and got money, well there is always La Queue de Cheval, but its pretty expensive. But the food and the waitress are top notch ;)

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Go to the landmark known as PJ's and then cross the parking lot and go into the best strip joint in Montreal known as Amazones.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
I like Roasters at Marche Central, great ribs, lots of athmosphere (surprising but true), and lots of TVs.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Bier markt is fine, but a little pricy
station de sport = garbage food
PJs = good atmosphere, very average food, CHEAP alcohol, I go there to watch most of the games, free parking too - about 10m from the bell center

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I like Roasters at Marche Central, great ribs, lots of athmosphere (surprising but true), and lots of TVs.

I'll have to try it. Was looking for a spot around there, now I have a reason to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't now if OP is willing to venture outside of downtown, but there is always Rubs in Laval -- plenty of screens, packed, good atmosphere. Maybe this one's more for the locals, a little off the beaten paths. ;)

Talking about ribs, the ones at Baton Rouge are pretty tasty and tender. If our guest wants to venture there, plenty of locations. If you want to save some dough, sit at the bar. Same menu, reduced price.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Tell me more. I didn't even realize anyone might be looking for blackened cod.

It's a piece of cod crusted with porcini mushrooms that it sitting on top of potato puree and a port wine reduction. I always have this when at CF and the fish is so tender you can have it fall apart in flakes by gently pressing on it with your fork. The flesh is semi-translucent inside and is cooked to perfection.

ferreira-cafe-montreal-technomade.jpg

TiCats

Nov 8, 2013
Mile End, Montreal
Beauty's Luncheonette. The guy opened this place in 1943 and still greets you when you come in. Good food, diner-style. Corner of St Urbain and Mont-royal. About 20 minutes walk from Percival Molson Stadium.

Try some food trucks too. i would search out Phoenix and Euro Polenska. Both are quite awesome. There's an app you can download that locates all the trucks. First Friday of each month there's a food truck festival in front of the Big O. Not sure when they shut it down for the season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's a piece of cod crusted with porcini mushrooms that it sitting on top of potato puree and a port wine reduction. I always have this when at CF and the fish is so tender you can have it fall apart in flakes by gently pressing on it with your fork. The flesh is semi-translucent inside and is cooked to perfection.

ferreira-cafe-montreal-technomade.jpg

That looks so good it should be illegal, lol. Thanks for the follow-up, will have to try it now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Try some food trucks too. i would search out Phoenix and Euro Polenska. Both are quite awesome. There's an app you can download that locates all the trucks. First Friday of each month there's a food truck festival in front of the Big O. Not sure when they shut it down for the season.

Hearing great things about food truck food. There must be a website somewhere ...

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
OP, if I were you, I would grab a bite to eat before going to watch the game at the Sports Station. Go to Moe's Diner nearby for a cheeseburger and poutine for something quick and easy.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks. :)

Which ones have you guys tried? Which do you recommend?

In my opinion, Montreal's food truck scene is pretty underwhelming overall with rather bland food that is overly pricey (due to its novelty still). I've tried a bunch over the last few years but not many stand out.

I have always believed that food trucks should serve food that's easily portable (i.e. don't give me a sloppy chicken quesadilla on a flimsy paper plate), so with that in mind I remember sliders from Winneburger's food truck to be both moist and tasty. Perfect food on the go IMO.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums...ecial 2014/YP App/winneburger_zps0f5f722c.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks GoodKiwi, much appreciated.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
I would avoid Station des Sports. Why come to a city with great food like Montreal and eat there? Lots of better places to eat and watch the game.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I would avoid Station des Sports. Why come to a city with great food like Montreal and eat there? Lots of better places to eat and watch the game.

True. I might be a "foodie" and lots of people roll their eyes at that, but I watch what I put in my body. If I'm going all out and putting a meal high in calories inside myself, I will choose it to be a tarragon butter poached salmon at Rosalie's over a greasy bland burger at Station des Sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad