OT: I'll be in Montreal Wednesday night, restaurant suggestions

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Hi Guys,

I'll be in Montreal on opening night and would like to soak in the atmosphere. I havn't to the city in awhile but what are some places I could go to catch the game? I'm going on the assumption I'll have to get to most places early, say 4:30-5:00 ?

Suggestions welcome.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Station des Sports for great atmosphere and cheap food and beer. Nowadays pretty much every bars show the game tho.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Club Super Sexe has a buffet. Win-win.

All jokes aside though, while I more or less agree with the poster above be warned that Stations des Sports has very mediocre food. You're better off going to a pub with good food instead. Try Hurley's or Fiddler's Green.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
If you're looking for a good meal I suggest Ferreira Café.

You won't find a better blackened cod plate in town.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Station des Sports has awful food.

Good pub food can be found nearly anywhere else but Station des Sports. And you don't have to get there TOO early, but it is opening night.

Station des Sports has a lot of TVs, so that's nice, but for the food? The food itself sucks.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Station des Sports has awful food.

Good pub food can be found nearly anywhere else but Station des Sports. And you don't have to get there TOO early, but it is opening night.

Station des Sports has a lot of TVs, so that's nice, but for the food? The food itself sucks.

Pizza and chicken wings are probably the only food items I would order from Sports Station.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Pizza and chicken wings are probably the only food items I would order from Sports Station.
Between Peel Pub and Station des Sports I've had enough rancid beer and food for a lifetime.

Personally, I used to spend a lot of time at Brutopia, and I really like their food. Their beer's okay, but at least it's homegrown.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Between Peel Pub and Station des Sports I've had enough rancid beer and food for a lifetime.

Personally, I used to spend a lot of time at Brutopia, and I really like their food. Their beer's okay, but at least it's homegrown.

Peel Pub is so obnoxious. Last time I was there, there were maybe me and 5 people upstairs on a weekday and the music was blaring full blast. Just unbearable.

Brutopia does have good food as well. I should go back to again for their trivia night.

Also, check out Fiddler's Green if you can, I find it's a very underrated bar (it's on Bishop past Irish Embassy).

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Peel Pub is so aggressively obnoxious. Last time I was there, there were maybe me and 5 people upstairs and the music was blaring full blast. Just unbearable.

Brutopia does have good food as well. I should go back to Brutopia again for their trivia night.

Also, check out Fiddler's Green if you can, I find it's a very underrated bar (it's on Bishop past Irish Embassy).

Brutopia is good. Irish Embassy has good food as well.

Peel Pub is bad in general but it's cheap.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you're looking for a good meal I suggest Ferreira Café.

You won't find a better blackened cod plate in town.

Tell me more. I didn't even realize anyone might be looking for blackened cod.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Peel Pub is so obnoxious. Last time I was there, there were maybe me and 5 people upstairs on a weekday and the music was blaring full blast. Just unbearable.

Brutopia does have good food as well. I should go back to again for their trivia night.

My buddy hosts Trivia on occasion, and it used to be "our" thing for some time. Maybe we've crossed paths :laugh:

Tell me more. I didn't even realize anyone might be looking for blackened cod.
Cafe Ferraria is fantastic. I dined besides Kaberle, Leblanc and Budaj there once. Leblanc is tiny, Kabs huge.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Typical sports bar fare. Wings, burgers etc...

That station des sports looks alright.

Here's something more refined within the niche you're looking for, but without being pricey. Not far from downtown, they have a good selection of beer on tap and burgers made with game meats, fries are yummy and a choice of original sauces for their burgers that are real tasty.

Sample burgers offered:

Hambourgeois de bison, sauce aux poivres verts à la bière Coup de grisou
Bison burger topped with green pepper sauce with Coup de grisou
Hambourgeois de caribou, sauce cheddar à la Boréale blonde et jalapenos
Caribou burger topped with Boréale blonde, cheddar and jalapenos sauce
Hambourgeois d’autruche, fromage de chèvre et confit d’oignons
Ostrich burger topped with goat cheese and onion chutney

Basically bison, caribou and austridge. Why settle for the standard fare. Better than 3 Brasseurs.

Montréal
Bières et compagnie Montréal
4350, rue Saint-Denis
Montréal (Québec) H2J 2L1
T. 514 844-0394

http://www.bieresetcompagnie.ca/menus/index.php

You'll have to call however, to find out if they're showing the game -- sorry, went for food quality over the game part of your post.

If you're out for game atmosphere, then there are better options. This is more of an after-game place, if you want to enjoy something different.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Good restos, especially L'express, but they won't show the game... :laugh:

What, you don't like watching hockey games at expensive restaurants while eating foie gras?

My buddy hosts Trivia on occasion, and it used to be "our" thing for some time. Maybe we've crossed paths :laugh:

I've only actually been there once. It was during the winter, around the time the Winter Olympics were going on. I think the host was tall and sort of lanky. Pretty funny dude though.

We won both times so it was a good night.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad