OT: IIHF World Championship

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Omg, my Switzerland just beat Finland 3-2 and goes on to meet Canada in the semifinals! Pure joy!

Good luck! The remaining matchups (and potential matchups) all feel almost wide open, difficult to predict anything here. I certainly wouldn't mind Switzerland getting their first gold. USA haven't won since 1960 either.

So it will probably be Canada over Sweden to make it as "boring" as possible. ;)

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Good luck! The remaining matchups (and potential matchups) all feel almost wide open, difficult to predict anything here. I certainly wouldn't mind Switzerland getting their first gold. USA haven't won since 1960 either.

So it will probably be Canada over Sweden to make it as "boring" as possible. ;)

Thank you!!!!!!

Well, we already pulled a miracle in 2013 with the silver against you guys& in your barn (that 9-1 run was incredible), so the odds are overwhelmingly against us, as miracles don't happen often. I don't think that the boys can beat McDavid & co, but they will give it a good try.

Sweden is always the performer: as the tournament progresses, they get better. I think that you guys will take it at the end.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Thank you!!!!!!

Well, we already pulled a miracle in 2013 with the silver against you guys& in your barn (that 9-1 run was incredible), so the odds are overwhelmingly against us, as miracles don't happen often. I don't think that the boys can beat McDavid & co, but they will give it a good try.

Sweden is always the performer: as the tournament progresses, they get better. I think that you guys will take it at the end.

Finland, Latvia and even Germany gave you a blueprint of sorts. I do think Team Canada has got stronger since those games, but you never know.

Also, you guys just can't help yourselves with the yodeling goal songs, can you? :laugh:
I preferred Rama Lama Ding Dong myself, though.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Finland, Latvia and even Germany gave you a blueprint of sorts. I do think Team Canada has got stronger since those games, but you never know.

I think that if Switzerland plays its game - relentless forecheck, great cycling, going to the net hard, being physical - like it was able to do to Finland, there is a chance. Not a big one, but it's there.

Reactions: Fossy21

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Sweden up 4-0 on the U.S. :help:

Charlie looked bad on that last one.

Kinkaid looked worse. At least Charlie disrupted him to where he could only really go five-hole or near post. Kinkaid covered neither.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Terrible showing from USA at this point. A monster comeback is needed but it probably isn't going to happen against a loaded Swede team.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Terrible showing from USA at this point. A monster comeback is needed but it probably isn't going to happen against a loaded Swede team.

USA much better in the first, but special teams have swung momentum Sweden’s way. Several great PK with a goal as a result, efficient PP (though USA had much better chances on Sweden’s PP in the first period), and then a goal straight off the faceoff following said PP goal. Not to mention the PP that led to those two goals came off the stupidest penalty I’ve seen anyone take in a long time when Gaudreau slashed someone in the upper back/neck area far away from the puck.

Everberg had a great chance early on that double minor as well, that just grazed Kinkaid’s shoulder. Horrible PP for USA

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
USA much better in the first, but special teams have swung momentum Sweden’s way. Several great PK with a goal as a result, efficient PP (though USA had much better chances on Sweden’s PP in the first period), and then a goal straight off the faceoff following said PP goal. Not to mention the PP that led to those two goals came off the stupidest penalty I’ve seen anyone take in a long time when Gaudreau slashed someone in the upper back/neck area far away from the puck.

Johnny Hockey became Johnny Tantrum there for a minute :laugh: His face after Sweden scored on the PP was priceless, too.

Reactions: Fossy21

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Nilsson sucked against Latvia but has done a good job today. One puck trickled behind him in the second, where OEL (I think) had to help him cover up, but he’s made a few good to great saves.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Blah. :( I hate having to root for a team with Patrick Kane. It's nice that he had a point in every game, I guess, but zilch today. Ugh.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Switzerland 1 Canada 0, end of the first.

Switzerland had the premier chances of the period, like 3-4 A-grade chances. Canada looks a bit... rusty? The only one I noticed from Canada is Barzal. McDavid... Very quiet, but I severely doubt it'll stay like that for the whole game.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I didn't know Bradley Cooper coached the Swiss.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Canada with a much better performance in the second. It's going to be one heck of a third period. Proud how Switzerland played through two periods.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Wonder why Reto Berra or Jonas Hiller isn't in net for Switzerland?
It was supposed to be Berra, but he got hurt ahead of the quarter finals vs Finland. He is OK now, but I think that the coach decided to go with Genoni because he had one heck of a game vs Finland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad