IIHF WJC

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Really weird play where Finland had too many men and they just stopped the play and did not give a penalty.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
This Kasper Magnussen kid looks like he might be a player. I bet he gets a look at this draft if he doesn’t get signed. Norway in general has looked good so far.

Deadsy

May 8, 2021
Really weird play where Finland had too many men and they just stopped the play and did not give a penalty.

The goalie being substituted for a player is an exception to the rule and only results in a face-off. Rule 71 in both NHL and IIHF rulebooks.

Reactions: Metallo

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

The NHL needs to go back to doing this more, instead of penalties.

They also just need to make a blanket rule, that if a guy is standing in front of his bench between the blue and red line, and he never touches the puck, he's considered out of play and it's never a penalty.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The NHL needs to go back to doing this more, instead of penalties.

They also just need to make a blanket rule, that if a guy is standing in front of his bench between the blue and red line, and he never touches the puck, he's considered out of play and it's never a penalty.
While I agree that you and me and the kids in our neighborhood could all agree to this rule and abide by it, you know head coaches in the NHL will find a way to abuse it or gain an advantage off it within weeks.

We can all agree or disagree on whether it warrants a bench penalty or maybe a faceoff in your defensive zone. I'm for defensive zone faceoffs with no swapping of players being the norm for icing, too many men, and puck of the glass in the defensive zone. I'm also a fan of bringing back the hurry up faceoff. I don't remember ever hearing that they stopped doing it, rather they just stopped doing it.

Out of curiosity, has the NHL ever toyed with the idea of an uncontested faceoff? Maybe as the result of icing, puck over the glass, anything?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
While I agree that you and me and the kids in our neighborhood could all agree to this rule and abide by it, you know head coaches in the NHL will find a way to abuse it or gain an advantage off it within weeks.

We can all agree or disagree on whether it warrants a bench penalty or maybe a faceoff in your defensive zone. I'm for defensive zone faceoffs with no swapping of players being the norm for icing, too many men, and puck of the glass in the defensive zone. I'm also a fan of bringing back the hurry up faceoff. I don't remember ever hearing that they stopped doing it, rather they just stopped doing it.

Out of curiosity, has the NHL ever toyed with the idea of an uncontested faceoff? Maybe as the result of icing, puck over the glass, anything?

Perhaps, but I think less so in this particular case, because it would be pretty black and white, and the way they'd take advantage is to have a guy jump on early. In which case, the changing player probably wouldn't be standing in front of his bench waiting to hop over. He'd be slowly moving toward the bench. And if he plays the puck while standing there, then that's a penalty.

They already do this sometimes as well. They just don't do it all the time, and different refs, seem to have different amounts of leeway. Making it between the blue and red line, five feet or so in front of the bench makes it clear for everyone. Don't even need to add new markings on the ice.

I've seen once or twice when they first started the hurry up faceoffs, they dropped the puck uncontested. They don't do that anymore. They don't penalize anyone anymore either. Personally I'm ok that they don't. Even if the other team buys an extra few seconds after an icing. I think it's a smart veteran move.

Also, while we're on the topic, my biggest pet peeve rule that I wish they would change, is to make it so that a player who has just touched the puck, or was just carrying it, can never put himself offside if he fumbles it or something.

It's just a dumb as shit technicality that kills so many scoring chances, just because a guy lost the puck for a second. It's not at all within the spirit of the rule either. Linesmen would be able to handle this very easily too. All they have to do is see if he touched it before crossing, and then call it good, like they waive off icings, or playing the puck with a high stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Slovakia looks to have their best team in many years. I think they have a legit chance at a medal. Finland isn't looking good at all.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
USA really putting a hurt on the Swiss. Buium is going to really start getting some top 10 hype after this tournament. Not a fan of his skating/combo... but man is he smart and talented.

Reactions: arun

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
I wish we
USA really putting a hurt on the Swiss. Buium is going to really start getting some top 10 hype after this tournament. Not a fan of his skating/combo... but man is he smart and talented.
i wish we would have a pick to draft buium. DU kid.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wish we

i wish we would have a pick to draft buium. DU kid.
I expect he will go in the teens just due to teams being scared when he measures under 6' and has meh skating... so there is an outside chance of the 1st being close. Avs would likely have to move up still, but close. He reminds me so much of Adam Fox.

(I really hope the Avs don't have that pick though)

Reactions: arun

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
I expect he will go in the teens just due to teams being scared when he measures under 6' and has meh skating... so there is an outside chance of the 1st being close. Avs would likely have to move up still, but close. He reminds me so much of Adam Fox.

(I really hope the Avs don't have that pick though)
I want buium.

Reactions: Alienblood

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Slovakia looks to have their best team in many years. I think they have a legit chance at a medal. Finland isn't looking good at all.
I'd love to jave Helenius slip to our pick though.

He's ranked 4 on the latest TSN list I read

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

sorry it was THN

agreed on Helenius but I read another article where some have him in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round
Helenius will have the late riser impact on these articles as non-Russian Europeans usually do. There are a number of teams that have him in their top 5 now and any decent showing in the last half will have enough of them that he's very unlikely to slip.

I think there is a little bit of a mirage in his game where at a glance he looks better than he is, but I really don't see him falling into the 20s. We aren't even having the Lambert situation where he's having a bad draft year.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Wow, I have the opposite take. Had reservation with his hockey sense when he was with the U18s. I don't buy that he can run an NHL team's PP1. I'll be curious how he measures at the combine. Listed 6'2 at DU, but I think everyone knows that's generous.

Top 10 is rich for me even if he has looked good this year. The '05s were starving for an impact defenseman and never really had that until Cole Hutson got called up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wow, I have the opposite take. Had reservation with his hockey sense when he was with the U18s. I don't buy that he can run an NHL team's PP1. I'll be curious how he measures at the combine. Listed 6'2 at DU, but I think everyone knows that's generous.

Top 10 is rich for me even if he has looked good this year. The '05s were starving for an impact defenseman and never really had that until Cole Hutson got called up.
He's not anywhere near 6'2"... he's probably a shade under 6' like Makar. He's continuing what he's shown at DU... he's just smarter than everybody else on the ice and elusive enough with his skating to open up space. His reading of the play, especially with the puck, is what stands out the most to me.

This whole US team though is a disaster defensively... I don't think they even get in the bronze game despite their talent being much higher than that.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He's not anywhere near 6'2"... he's probably a shade under 6' like Makar. He's continuing what he's shown at DU... he's just smarter than everybody else on the ice and elusive enough with his skating to open up space. His reading of the play, especially with the puck, is what stands out the most to me.

This whole US team though is a disaster defensively... I don't think they even get in the bronze game despite their talent being much higher than that.
If the US lost in the quarters, that would be a pathetic choke. They'll pick up the intensity and compete level as the competition increases.

Sweden or US will win in my opinion.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the US lost in the quarters, that would be a pathetic choke. They'll pick up the intensity and compete level as the competition increases.

Sweden or US will win in my opinion.
I think any team that can be patient, be good in net, and wait for the US to make critical defensive errors can easily beat them. Slovakia will probably put this idea to the test. Sweden or Canada are my favorites right now. The saving grace to the US is Finland looks like utter trash and Russia obviously isn't here.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Helenius will have the late riser impact on these articles as non-Russian Europeans usually do. There are a number of teams that have him in their top 5 now and any decent showing in the last half will have enough of them that he's very unlikely to slip.

I think there is a little bit of a mirage in his game where at a glance he looks better than he is, but I really don't see him falling into the 20s. We aren't even having the Lambert situation where he's having a bad draft year.
I like him , he is gonna have a big couple next games I think

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4