GDT: IIHF U18s - Hughes Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hughes has looked good all tournament but he’s at another level today. Anyone with any doubts about who should be the pick should watch that first period. This kid is incredible.

Reactions: devilsblood

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
That's the best I've seen Hughes play so far. Playing at a much higher tempo, and with that he is much sharper with the puck.

It somehow appears that Hughes was actually coasting through the round robin where he racked up 12 points in 4 games.
He has been really good today. Easily the best player on the ice.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
True, according to the Canucks fans on here we'll be trading the 1OA pick to them for Tanev and a puck signed by Markus Näslund. Even though they assert that this is an average draft and Hughes is a bust waiting to happen.
This pick is reaching untouchable territory imo. I mean, in reality we were never trading the pick anyways, but right now it would legit take a McDavid type of deal.

I'm that impressed with Hughes.

Reactions: Dafp

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
That's the best I've seen Hughes play so far. Playing at a much higher tempo, and with that he is much sharper with the puck.

It somehow appears that Hughes was actually coasting through the round robin where he racked up 12 points in 4 games.
I was thinking the same. He's been putting up points consistently, but this is the first time for me he looks too good for this level of competition.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I was thinking the same. He's been putting up points consistently, but this is the first time for me he looks too good for this level of competition.

There have been games in the past (ie: Slovakia) where he was far and away the best player on the ice and was already too good for the competition. Even when he isn't putting up highlight reel goals, he's making everyone on the ice look like they're standing still.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
I wish there was a way to watch this at work. If anyone knows what 'channel' it's on so I can go in the break room and enter in that channel on the cable box under the tv, can you plz PM me? Thanks.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Jack Hughes with the BIG open ice hit....

Granted he fell to the ice while the Finn stayed on his skates, but it at least showed he is willing.

Reactions: My3Sons

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I wish those replays focused a little more on the defensive play by Hughes.

Needs work. Takes silly chances too often.

Perhaps it's due to overconfidence due to the fact he's dominated for so long, but in the NHL those silly chances will end up in the back of the Devils net.

The good news is, he's intelligent, so I genuinely believe he'll cut that crap out of his game quickly once he realizes Patrick Kane & Sydney Crosby aren't 17 year old undrafted fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad