GDT: IIHF U18s - Hughes Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
McCarthy I’ve heard enough about to realize he would be a really good 2nd round pick.

Who is Warren?

Marshall Warren. 5'11 defenseman. Projected to be an offensive defenseman and has been having a really solid tourney so far. Committed to Boston College next season.

He's actually from Long Island, but played much of his hockey in NJ. Played for the Colonials and North Jersey Avalanche based out of Hackensack.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
After about 4 games of seeing him now, I'm really liking this Drew Helleson kid. He's ranked #46 N.A. Central Scouting & #60 overall by TSN.

Plays a smart defensive game, skates well, doesn't take big risks & can move the puck. I'd be happy with him as a Devils' pick.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
After about 4 games of seeing him now, I'm really liking this Drew Helleson kid. He's ranked #46 N.A. Central Scouting & #60 overall by TSN.

Plays a smart defensive game, skates well, doesn't take big risks & can move the puck. I'd be happy with him as a Devils' pick.

From my top-62 back in February:

Drew Helleson plays a clean and crisp two-way game. Playing in all situations, Helleson competes extremely hard on the puck. Relatively safe in his own end, Helleson has good gap control and an active stick. Helleson plays aggressively in terms of pushing the puck up the ice, but for the actual scoring component, he’ll delegate to the forwards on the team. Helleson has an accurate shot, but he much prefers to pass the puck around. He’s still working on “picking his spots” so-to-speak, but is a smart overall player with decisions and reads. The mantra of how a defenseman is more than his stat sheet is especially prevalent with Helleson.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i know hes playing on a stacked team but this kid caufield is putting up some serious goals. whats his story and why aren't people so high on him? 9 goals in 3 games so far

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The mantra of how a defenseman is more than his stat sheet is especially prevalent with Helleson.

This is exactly what I mean.

You never hear the announcers mention his name, and he's not on the scoresheet much, but he does everything pretty well & plays a mature defensive game for a 17 year old.

He wont rack up endorsement contracts, but coaches will love him.

Reactions: My3Sons

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i know hes playing on a stacked team but this kid caufield is putting up some serious goals. whats his story and why aren't people so high on him? 9 goals in 3 games so far
he's been moving up, and lookin to be top 15 for sure, with potential to rise higher

knocks on him are pretty much size, and maybe his insanely high goals to assists ratio. like the guy is ALL goals, so some people say he's a product of his linemates. i think this tournament could push him to top 10

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
he's a product of his linemates. i think this tournament could push him to top 10

I think both statements are true.

He's going top-10 now, but he's going to need people to feed him.

There's no doubt he has a remarkable eye for understanding where play is going to go & filling that soon-to-be dangerous area. Gretzky was the best at that; he knew 3 seconds in advance where the puck would eventually end up.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

There's no doubt he has a remarkable eye for understanding where play is going to go & filling that soon-to-be dangerous area. Gretzky was the best at that; he knew 3 seconds in advance where the puck would eventually end up.
whoever snags him and pairs him w a creative center, i guarantee caufield will break 20 goals next season (if he plays). the way the game is played nowadays should enable him

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

Indeed, a few of these kids could stand to put on a few pounds over the next couple years

:sarcasm:

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
whoever snags him and pairs him w a creative center, i guarantee caufield will break 20 goals next season (if he plays). the way the game is played nowadays should enable him

All well and good, but I wouldn't be looking to take a player with a top 10 pick who relies on other linemates to drive play. I think he would be a great selection for a team in need of scoring who already has their foundation built up, but Caufield is a luxury item. I don't think any of the rebuilding teams in the top 10 can afford to take him over guys like Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, etc. Everyone knows that he's an absolute sniper who can put the puck in the net with ease. But for a 5'7" guy with average skating, a top 10 pick is a pretty steep price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad