IIHF and NHL reach deal, Russia stays out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/nhl/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/nhl/2005/08/386238

I guess this deserves a new thread.

It's in finnish but the guy talking is Mr. Kummola, basicly the no.2 guy in IIHF. These are from direct quotes.

2-year deal, deadline to bring players over is 24.8 this year and 15.6 next year.

NHL pays 200K per player if less than 45 players leave to NHL, 225K per player if 45-60 players leave to NHL and 250K per player if more than 60 players leave to NHL.

New penalty system included, if the signed player doesn't play atleast 30 NHL games the season he's brought over, the team pays compensation to European team with the following formula:

Drafted 1st round: 50K
" 2nd round: 100K
" 3rd and later: 150K

This is to prevent NHL teams from leeching players and letting them 'rot' in AHL.

maddog24g

Aug 2, 2005
now that sounds a bit better than the original take it or leave it deal. Just think of how much less angst there might have been if they would have started with .. "here's our offer... what's your offer" rather than here's the deal, here's the deadline... sign it now.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
:handclap:

Good deal, the Russians will come crawling back when they realize that the Hockey player market won't ever turn into a mirror of the Soccer player market..

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
kinda sucks for the pens and anyone else who has russian prospects who they're trying to get over...

Claypool_*

Levitate said:
kinda sucks for the pens and anyone else who has russian prospects who they're trying to get over...

Malkin is the only prospect that's worth this trouble IMO.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
true, but isn't there also that guy for the sens who has scored a whole bunch in the RSL? he may not be as good a NHL prospect as Malkin, but if he's that valuable to his russian team, problems abound...

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Confirmed on TSN also, but without all the details:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=133675

Confirms the 8/26 tranfer deadline.

But states it is only a one year deal, not two.

But if the deal is similar to the details from Finland, and the deal is extended to a multi year deal, and Russia eventually signs on, there could be some interesting side effects.

More Euros may be taken in the first round. The max transfer fee ($200K-$250K) is actually lower than under the old propsed deal ($900K - $300K, #1 - #30), and the cost to bring over a first rounder to the AHL is less.

Marginal players (2nd and 3rd and later round picks) will be given more time to develop in Europe before being brought over. Letting them develop and aclimate a year in the AHL has gotten more expensive.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
kdb209 said:
Marginal players (2nd and 3rd and later round picks) will be given more time to develop in Europe before being brought over. Letting them develop and aclimate a year in the AHL has gotten more expensive.

The problem with that is that European players have to sign within 2 years of the draft now. So that means you can't draft long term european projects anymore.

Mr.Brownov*

Levitate said:
true, but isn't there also that guy for the sens who has scored a whole bunch in the RSL? he may not be as good a NHL prospect as Malkin, but if he's that valuable to his russian team, problems abound...
Kaigorodov

maddog24g

Aug 2, 2005
nomorekids said:
that's a lot of money in terms of compensation. i think you might see the end of Euros getting drafted outside the top two rounds.
That's assuming the GM's have self control. As soon as the next strong group of european prospects show up they'll be all over them as usual.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
nomorekids said:
that's a lot of money in terms of compensation. i think you might see the end of Euros getting drafted outside the top two rounds.

Thats why it still pays to be a big market team. I doubt markets like NY will care.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I do not understand why Swedish, Finnish federations even get any money? The reason why Russian clubs should be able to negotiate with NHL clubs directly is exactly why Swedes and Finns should not get a dime. In the Russian hockey system all the spendings when a player is developed are carried out by his hockey club, not by players parents, unlike in N. America and Europe. For an average Russian it is unbearable burden to pay for the hockey equipment, coaches, ice time. That is why the deal with IIHF should never exist, that is why all the scandinavians are whining right now, they are happy with the bones, which they get for nothing, while Russian clubs are being robbed. Taking a player like Datsyuk for $150,000 is what has hurt Russian hockey in the past decade. That is why Russia should never sign this fake NHL-IIHF deal, they should be able to deal with NHL clubs directly.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Siberian said:
I do not understand why Swedish, Finnish federations even get any money? The reason why Russian clubs should be able to negotiate with NHL clubs directly is exactly why Swedes and Finns should not get a dime. In the Russian hockey system all the spendings when a player is developed are carried out by his hockey club, not by players parents, unlike in N. America and Europe. For an average Russian it is unbearable burden to pay for the hockey equipment, coaches, ice time. That is why the deal with IIHF should never exist, that is why all the scandinavians are whining right now, they are happy with the bones, which they get for nothing, while Russian clubs are being robbed. Taking a player like Datsyuk for $150,000 is what has hurt Russian hockey in the past decade. That is why Russia should never sign this fake NHL-IIHF deal, they should be able to deal with NHL clubs directly.

umm, yeah, way to insult just about everyone else who isn't russian.

Teams like Sweden and Finland want a transfer fee because their players are under contract. Simple as that. They want compensation for breaking that contract. Nothing really wrong with that...

as for Russians wanting to get compensated for all the money they put into their young players...it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. if Russia makes it difficult to get young players over without spending millions in transfer fees, I wonder if we'll see more "defections" by players who might realllly want to play in the NHL (i tend to think that won't happen a lot though) or more likely...players might hold out for short contracts with russian teams so they can leave when they are "free agents" and don't have to deal with the transfer fees. Which could end up being bad for the Russian teams...i imagine they'll push real hard to sign all their top prospects to big, long term deals

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I might not be 100% right but I thought the reason why swedes and finns are so afraid they will lose these money is because they do not have long term contracts. In EU you can not sign a player to more than one year deal. That's why NHL does not really break any contracts, IIHF and european federations understand that, in fact if not for Russians these guys would be getting a big fat zilch from NHL to begin with. That is why IIHF is licking NHL's butts and Russians don't give a damn about neither organization

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hey, if the Russian players want to play before 4,000 people in broken down rinks, let 'em. And to top it off these effected players will NOT be able to play in the world championships or olympics, will they? Will they really earn that much more in Russia, given zero in endoresements, and the down the road paycheck once the rookie caps come off? I doubt the difference is all that much. I can not see the Russians holding on that long. Except for Malkin who may or may not have screwed himself with a long term deal which may or may not include an out clause (depending on who you read regarding this) I can not see this situation as being palatable for the Russian leagues or the individual players once reality sinks in.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Siberian said:
In EU you can not sign a player to more than one year deal.

Where did you get that one from? :confused:

There is no rule whatsoever on contract length in the EU. They wouldn't even think about implementing such a rule, as they are against all kind of limits for contracts...

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
And to top it off these effected players will NOT be able to play in the world championships or olympics, will they?
:confused: Of course they will. Malkin played in the WCh this season, for instance.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Riddarn said:
Thats news to me.

I was told that in Sweden and Finland there are no contracts longer than 1 year and/or if there is than it can be ended after after one year without by either side any further obligations. I want my swedish and finnish buddies to confirm that.

Regardless, the reason Russia wants money is because Russian hockey system is all screwed up, but Russians don't have any other way, if all hockey youth clubs will be closed due to lack of sponcors and governments funds, then Russia will not be able to produce high quality players anymore. This is why Russian hockey suffered the most in the mid 90-es. NHL robbed Russia of all hockey talent without fair compensation and all the money spent for development of hockey players went to nirvana, NHL was the one who benefitted from that and it is time to stop that crap

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think it'd be up to the IIHF...if they wanted to exclude the russians from the tourney's they sponser, they probably could...dunno if they'd do that though

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Levitate said:
I think it'd be up to the IIHF...if they wanted to exclude the russians from the tourney's they sponser, they probably could...dunno if they'd do that though

What reason would they not? They obviously want Russia to sign on, there is at least part of their leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad