IIHF and NHL reach deal, Russia stays out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Levitate said:
I think it'd be up to the IIHF...if they wanted to exclude the russians from the tourney's they sponser, they probably could...dunno if they'd do that though

IIHF is a joke of organization. On one hand they want to lick NHL's butt as a poor relative and on the other they know that Russia has the only hockey federation
which sort of makes a balance in the hockey world. Take Russia out of IIHF and IIHF is nothing but a bunch of poor losers who can't organize a thing. Did you see WJC's they run in Europe with empty rinks? They can't organize anything right.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Siberian said:
IIHF is a joke of organization. On one hand they want to lick NHL's butt as a poor relative and on the other they know that Russia has the only hockey federation
which sort of makes a balance in the hockey world. Take Russia out of IIHF and IIHF is nothing but a bunch of poor losers who can't organize a thing. Did you see WJC's they run in Europe with empty rinks? They can't organize anything right.

Fine . . . then stay home. Let them be the biggest thing in Siberia. No Olympics, no WJC and let us see how long you keep the vast majority of these players.

Or the Russians come to their senses and 'lower' themselves to take close to $1 m. for a player like AO or Malkin. And not insignificant compensation for anyone else. Russia is quickly going to find that the deal does not get any better and that the vast majority of the players are not going to like the consequences of not being part of the agreement. Many will not sign long term deals, or if they have, will try to leave the Russian clubs high and dry. Bettman intimated and threatened when he went over there to try to broker a deal that the Russians risk losing any compensation at all if they do not sign, didn't he?

Last edited:

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
What reason would they not?
Because they respect the WCh and don't want it to turn into a complete joke. Also, the RHF didn't break any rule.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Jaded-Fan said:
Fine . . . then stay home. Let them be the biggest thing in Siberia. No Olympics, no WJC and let us see how long you keep the vast majority of these players.

Or the Russians come to their senses and 'lower' themselves to take close to $1 m. for a player like AO or Malkin.

You've gotta be kidding me. You really think that in Russia someone cares for NHL? Yes, they do, just as much as in North America they care about Russian league. Of course many players want to play in this league and they should, but someone must pay for the player's development if you want to rip the dividends of this player.

Siberian said:
I was told that in Sweden and Finland there are no contracts longer than 1 year and/or if there is than it can be ended after after one year without by either side any further obligations.
That`s not true. There may be contract options that may permit either team or player (mostly team) exercise not extend the contract, but that just one type of contract that we have here. Usually contracts are 1-3 years, but there are sometimes longer contracts.

For example Marko Kiprusoff has contract until 2008. When the deal was made year ago it was straight four year contract. He confirms it in this interview: http://www.jatkoaika.com/smliiga.php?sivu=kolumnit&id=2382 (sorry, in Finnish)

So maybe you could travel asap to Finland and tell Kiprusoff that he`s under illegal contract.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
jekoh said:
Because they respect the WCh and don't want it to turn into a complete joke. Also, the RHF didn't break any rule.

Do not let anyone tell you about Santa and the Easter Bunny.

The Russians are screwing the IIHF. Spin your little fantasy any way that you want, but respect is a two way street. If the deal is good enough for everyone else in the world, then the Russians can do what they want but they will get back in kind what they are giving. If some deal is not struck, the Russians (at least those who play on the professional level) are going to find the world stage pretty closed to them.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Siberian said:
You've gotta be kidding me. You really think that in Russia someone cares for NHL? Yes, they do, just as much as in North America they care about Russian league. Of course many players want to play in this league and they should, but someone must pay for the player's development if you want to rip the dividends of this player.

As I said, fine, stay home. That is a players choice, always has been always will be. If he wants to limit himself to what the RSL is, then so be it. Let him fade into obscurity outside of Russia. As I said, the world stage will remain closed to him until a deal is struck.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
SergeiK said:
That`s not true. There may be contract options that may permit either team or player (mostly team) exercise not extend the contract, but that just one type of contract that we have here. Usually contracts are 1-3 years, but there are sometimes longer contracts.

For example Marko Kiprusoff has contract until 2008. When the deal was made year ago it was straight four year contract. He confirms it in this interview: http://www.jatkoaika.com/smliiga.php?sivu=kolumnit&id=2382 (sorry, in Finnish)

So maybe you could travel asap to Finland and tell Kiprusoff that he`s under illegal contract.

Then my information is wrong unless the player can just leave his contract and club after one year without any obligations. Then I guess NHL and IIHF again are screwing you big time. Contract should be a contract and there is no way that buyout for everybody after second round should be 150 G's. Players all have different values, you can't have them all at the same price, it is against the market nature.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Jaded-Fan said:
As I said, fine, stay home. That is a players choice, always has been always will be. If he wants to limit himself to what the RSL is, then so be it. Let him fade into obscurity outside of Russia. As I said, the world stage will remain closed to him until a deal is struck.

The only side screwing everybody here is NHL ripping the benefits of somebody else's work developing homegrown talents. NHL knows that because without Europeans this would have been much worse league.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Siberian said:
The only side screwing everybody here is NHL ripping the benefits of somebody else's work developing homegrown talents. NHL knows that because without Europeans this would have been much worse league.

:dunno: So, right now how much are you getting? Nothing. Good deal for you. You made a stand, good for you. Now what? No world championships, no olympics, and obscurity for your players. Oh yeah, again, no money. The RSL will be nothing like it was last year as NHL players go back to their teams now that hockey is back, little more than a slightly better glorified AHL league with very highly paid players. Players who will want to bolt for as good if not better contracts (once the rookie cap fades) first chance they get. Leaving you with zilch. Ok, what is your move now? Now you know how Goodenow felt.

hockeydadx2*

I suspect the Russians will bend. They have no real money over there, except for the few guys who are multi-billionaires. They can't charge much money for tickets, and network television that is lucrative is probably decades away. Once they get starved for cash, they'll bend.

This is all just a big game of chicken. In the end, the Russians need money more than the NHL needs Malkin and others. Unless Goodenow is their counsel, they will decide to become more reasonable sooner rather than later.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Jaded-Fan said:
:dunno: So, right now how much are you getting? Nothing. Good deal for you. You made a stand, good for you. Now what? No world championships, no olympics, and obscurity for your players. Oh yeah, again, no money. The RSL will be nothing like it was last year as NHL players go back to their teams now that hockey is back, little more than a slightly better glorified AHL league with very highly paid players. Players who will want to bolt for as good if not better contracts (once the rookie cap fades) first chance they get. Leaving you with zilch. Ok, what is your move now? Now you know how Goodenow felt.

You are very mistaken. Russian clubs have already dealt with their N. American partners. As far as I remember Russians got some money for Pushkarev from LA, Montreal also already paid the money for Kastitsyn, Pens might be shelling out 2-3 mil for Malkin etc. So the zilch is not really the true story here.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
Do not let anyone tell you about Santa and the Easter Bunny.

The Russians are screwing the IIHF. Spin your little fantasy any way that you want, but respect is a two way street. If the deal is good enough for everyone else in the world, then the Russians can do what they want but they will get back in kind what they are giving. If some deal is not struck, the Russians (at least those who play on the professional level) are going to find the world stage pretty closed to them.
:biglaugh:

You obviously don't understand what international sports federations are all about.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
hockeydadx2 said:
I suspect the Russians will bend. They have no real money over there, except for the few guys who are multi-billionaires. They can't charge much money for tickets, and network television that is lucrative is probably decades away. Once they get starved for cash, they'll bend.

This is all just a big game of chicken. In the end, the Russians need money more than the NHL needs Malkin and others. Unless Goodenow is their counsel, they will decide to become more reasonable sooner rather than later.

So far the only side which bent a little is NHL, so saying that Russians will accept peanuts NHL is offering right now is not the situation here. With the oil price at about 67 bucks a barrel I guess the situation in Russia overall and in Russian hockey will improve and you have to hurry up buying Malkin because the prices for players are also growing.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Siberian said:
So far the only side which bent a little is NHL, so saying that Russians will accept peanuts NHL is offering right now is not the situation here. With the oil price at about 67 bucks a barrel I guess the situation in Russia overall and in Russian hockey will improve and you have to hurry up buying Malkin because the prices for players are also growing.

If it means pulling Mafia tactics on the various NHL clubs for every single player, keep him. And this is from a Pens' fan.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Jaded-Fan said:
If it means pulling Mafia tactics on the various NHL clubs for every single player, keep him. And this is from a Pens' fan.

That's exactly what Russian hockey needs. No one in Russia really cares neither for NHL nor for poor Pittsburg Penguins, but I think that Mario has another view on that unfortunately, so he might just pay.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Siberian said:

NHL teams will pay according to their needs and abilities.

If a cash-strapped NHL team still has a prospect over there, the may abondon him or trade his rights rather than pay a transfer-fee deemed exhorbitant. If the situation isn't resolved, and teams feel that the RSL teams are asking too much, Russian players may wind up dropping out of the draft altogether, as GMs tire of the circus and don't pick any Russians.

Which is great for the Russian fan, of course, which will be able to watch NHL-calibre play every night of the week for cheap tickets in cozy arenas, as the teams are perpetually propped up by non-hockey revenue such as oil, provided by a stable group of Russian owners who can buy the entire NHL without blinking if they wanted to.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
NYRangers said:
Thats why it still pays to be a big market team. I doubt markets like NY will care.
Is the fee payed by the NHL or the individual teams?

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Timmy said:
NHL teams will pay according to their needs and abilities.

If a cash-strapped NHL team still has a prospect over there, the may abondon him or trade his rights rather than pay a transfer-fee deemed exhorbitant. If the situation isn't resolved, and teams feel that the RSL teams are asking too much, Russian players may wind up dropping out of the draft altogether, as GMs tire of the circus and don't pick any Russians.

Which is great for the Russian fan, of course, which will be able to watch NHL-calibre play every night of the week for cheap tickets in cozy arenas, as the teams are perpetually propped up by non-hockey revenue such as oil, provided by a stable group of Russian owners who can buy the entire NHL without blinking if they wanted to.

You got everything right. Already Russian hockey is better off these days than when there was the agreement when NHL teams could pick any player from Russia for peanuts. Those days when NHL took the players and let them rot in the farm clubs are gone. Most of the youngsters of Svitov's caliber will stay in Russia. Let NHL take Kovalchuk, Malkin but for a fair price, not for peanuts.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Siberian said:
You got everything right. Already Russian hockey is better off these days than when there was the agreement when NHL teams could pick any player from Russia for peanuts. Those days when NHL took the players and let them rot in the farm clubs are gone. Most of the youngsters of Svitov's caliber will stay in Russia. Let NHL take Kovalchuk, Malkin but for a fair price, not for peanuts.

Beginning to worry that I am right are you? ;)

I am sure that Malkin and his agent are. As I said, the NHL clubs will not negotiate player by player with you, it sets a terrible precedent and one that just is not going to happen. And a few dollars under $1 m. is peanuts? Please. What in the world do you expect from a league that lost an entire year because 2/3 of the teams were on the verge of bankruptcy? Whose revenues by all indications will be down this year because of the lockout. Keep dreaming.

Last edited:

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Jaded-Fan said:
The Russians are screwing the IIHF. Spin your little fantasy any way that you want, but respect is a two way street. If the deal is good enough for everyone else in the world, then the Russians can do what they want but they will get back in kind what they are giving.

Come on, think about it. I'm quite sure it wouldn't be good enough for the rest of the world. I'm sure NHL would not let its players leave with that compensation. You can't compare for example Russia and Finland. Situations are so much different.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Jaded-Fan said:

I am sure that Malkin and his agent are. As I said, the NHL clubs will not negotiate player by player with you, it sets a terrible precedent and one that just is not going to happen. And a few dollars under $1 m. is peanuts? Please. What in the world do you expect from a league that lost an entire year because 2/3 of the teams were on the verge of bankruptcy? Whose revenues by all indications will be down this year because of the lockout. Keep dreaming.

If teams in this league are willing to pay 6.5 mil a year to an unproven player like Thornton, then this league should be able to pay 2-3 mil for a talent like Malkin. My take on it that the fee for a player must be paid by a league, not by individual team, because it is the whole league that rips the dividends, not just the team.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:

I am sure that Malkin and his agent are. As I said, the NHL clubs will not negotiate player by player with you, it sets a terrible precedent and one that just is not going to happen. And a few dollars under $1 m. is peanuts? Please. What in the world do you expect from a league that lost an entire year because 2/3 of the teams were on the verge of bankruptcy? Whose rvenues b all indications will be down this year because of the lockout. Keep dreaming.

Well, from what I've been reading, the RSL makes and has far more money than the NHL, which is fairly bushleague in comparison (who's backstopping the Blues, a glorified dollar store? The Wings are propped up by Pizza?).

It is, I should think, us that should be worried about all of the world's best players wanting to hoist the RSL Cup, rather than the now-inconsequential Stanley Cup, given the safe, tax-free and coddling environment the new Russia offers.

The NHL will be forced to ice has-beens not good enough to play in Europe while we look on in envy as their fans get to watch games for as little as five dollars a ticket and see pure un-capped entertainment that only a truly free and stable capitalist society like Russia can provide.

Meanwhile, in Vancouver, we'll be forced to shell out a hundred bucks a pop to watch Corey Schneider backstopping Linden, Allen, and Butcher.

Perhaps I'm over stating things, as the RSL may not even want the slow plodders that North America produces with its rinky-dink mom-and-dad funded leagues, and we can continue to see players that we've been lulled by Don Cherry into thinking are actually world class.

All the players with true heart and grit are brought up in a government or corporate controlled environment in Russia, and that's why they will be the envy of the hockey world before the end of this decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad