Speculation: II. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Tomahawk Steaks For Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Not to completely rehash the Legwand discussion but if you get rosterbating visions of Stastny out of your head, Legwand would be a great fit. The only way he wouldn't be a good fit is if he bamboozled his way into a 4-5 year deal. He's also way younger than both Whitney and Gonchar, though we shouldn't be so quick to forget that last year (albeit a half season) the Wizard was a damn good player for us. So was Jagr for that matter.

I agree he's not a sexy addition but signing him for 2-3 years would be a pretty safe way to bolster the center position. He's basically a poor man's Kesler except he outscored Kesler this year. I don't see why Legwand would be so far down people's wish lists.

If you don't submit rosterbating to Webster's, I will.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Maybe this will put you at ease, maybe it wont.

Mirtle is one of the more main stream advanced stats guys. He's mentioned that Phaneuf was quality possession defender under Wilson, and he essentially laid all the blame on Carlyle for Toronto's deficiency. Considering the coach's disdain for possession stats and his team consistently being one of the worst possession teams .... even Anaheim ... that seems like a very reasonable argument.

Also .... Nill's comment applies to Letang as much as it does Phaneuf. Same goes for Edler and Lecavalier. All have brand new contracts within the past year. Will be difficult to narrow down one player based on that one comment.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
The way Nill was talking about teams needing to move players for salary reasons, Daley has to be at an all time high value-wise. He just had a great year, playing big minutes and is probably on the most team friendly contract of anyone we have. I wonder if he would be better served to be a big piece of a trade for a big defenseman or if he would be better served to be shipped out for useful pieces after we get rid of some pieces to get a big name defenseman.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I can't recall the details on this one, but I thought someone produced a quote from Nill saying Daley and Goligoski would be on the roster next year ... not traded.

Regardless ... if you could add two D ... I think you could consider moving Daley. If you added three I think you'd have to do it. If they only land one D though ... he probably shouldn't be moved.

New Top Pair D
Benn
Connauton
Daley
Dillon
Goligoski
Nemeth

*Avoiding the pair debate

If you replace one of those guys, I think the team is better off keeping Daley, pushing Benn out of the Top 6 (not because of poor play ... they'd just be deep enough to do it), and then dumping Connauton.

That group would be the best Dallas had in years. Taking Daley out even at that point I think makes them a bit weaker.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
I can't recall the details on this one, but I thought someone produced a quote from Nill saying Daley and Goligoski would be on the roster next year ... not traded.

Regardless ... if you could add two D ... I think you could consider moving Daley. If you added three I think you'd have to do it. If they only land one D though ... he probably shouldn't be moved.

New Top Pair D
Benn
Connauton
Daley
Dillon
Goligoski
Nemeth

*Avoiding the pair debate

If you replace one of those guys, I think the team is better off keeping Daley, pushing Benn out of the Top 6 (not because of poor play ... they'd just be deep enough to do it), and then dumping Connauton.

That group would be the best Dallas had in years. Taking Daley out even at that point I think makes them a bit weaker.

Would love to see that quote. If true, then you have a top 4 of acquired D-man, Dillon, Daley, Goligoski.

Then Benn probably has the biggest foothold on having at least one of the 5-7 spots. I personally hope Nemeth gets one of the two remaining spots. Connauton is meh. Has there been any rumblings of a Gonchar/Rome buyouts besides just speculation here?

If you have both Daley and Goligoski on the roster and we are trying to trade for a top pairing D, you are going to be saying bye to definitely one but probably more like 2 or 3 of the following: Chiasson, Faksa, Oleksiak, Nemeth, Shore, Dickinson, Klingberg, Ritchie, and 2014 and 2015 firsts.

Damn, we have a lot of prospects that I value as high or higher than a mid-first round pick.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Would love to see that quote. If true, then you have a top 4 of acquired D-man, Dillon, Daley, Goligoski.

Then Benn probably has the biggest foothold on having at least one of the 5-7 spots. I personally hope Nemeth gets one of the two remaining spots. Connauton is meh. Has there been any rumblings of a Gonchar/Rome buyouts besides just speculation here?

If you have both Daley and Goligoski on the roster and we are trying to trade for a top pairing D, you are going to be saying bye to definitely one but probably more like 2 or 3 of the following: Chiasson, Faksa, Oleksiak, Nemeth, Shore, Dickinson, Klingberg, Ritchie, and 2014 and 2015 firsts.

That's why I only said push Benn down to 7 best case scenario ... meaning you've added two really good defenders.

The last part ... that's exactly what Nill for sure has already said he wants to do ... trade for a top pair D. That quote has been posted several times.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
That's why I only said push Benn down to 7 best case scenario ... meaning you've added two really good defenders.

The last part ... that's exactly what Nill for sure has already said he wants to do ... trade for a top pair D. That quote has been posted several times.

I'm not asking for a quote on that. I'm asking for a quote on not moving Daley or Goligoski.

MetalGodAOD*

I'm not asking for a quote on that. I'm asking for a quote on not moving Daley or Goligoski.

20. Funny how the perception of a team changes in just a few months. If you'd asked the Stars about Trevor Daley and Alex Goligoski back in January, not sure how strongly the organization would have felt about keeping them. Trade rumours surrounded both. But several scouts noticed how much they raised their games in their first-round series. "They took a lot of the heat early in the season," Nill said. Will they start next season in Dallas? "Yes, they will be back.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/05/30-thoughts-sharks-in-rough-waters.html

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

No I know that. I was looking for it, but Metal beat me to it.

I was just referring to your comment about giving up all those assets. I'm sure when Nill said that's the path to get a top pair D, who understood and would agree some of those assets would end up on the table.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Link is not working, but thanks for the quote.

Try my link. I still have it up even though Metal already posted it.

Link

He posted all the pertinent information though.

When I was trying to find it ... I noticed a quote from glove that summed it up pretty well.

He felt that quote meant Dallas would not actively shop them, but it doesn't mean they are untouchable.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
No I know that. I was looking for it, but Metal beat me to it.

I was just referring to your comment about giving up all those assets. I'm sure when Nill said that's the path to get a top pair D, who understood and would agree some of those assets would end up on the table.

Oh, gotcha.

But yeah, people are going to freak when you see a proposal of something like Oleksiak + Ritchie + 2nd for Phaneuf, but if you aren't giving up Daley or Goligoski, then you are going to have to pony up two of our best prospects.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Try my link. I still have it up even though Metal already posted it.

Link

He posted all the pertinent information though.

When I was trying to find it ... I noticed a quote from glove that summed it up pretty well.

He felt that quote meant Dallas would not actively shop them, but it doesn't mean they are untouchable.

Thanks

22. Other guys who stepped up included Vern Fiddler and Shawn Horcoff. Fiddler had an interesting season. Unhappy with his role early on, he asked for a trade. But things improved for him as we got deeper into the schedule, and he's a pretty big part of the group. He's unrestricted this summer. All Nill would say is he's made an offer.

Not a big piece of information, but interesting to know Nill is definitely interested in bringing Fids back at a price.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oh, gotcha.

But yeah, people are going to freak when you see a proposal of something like Oleksiak + Ritchie + 2nd for Phaneuf, but if you aren't giving up Daley or Goligoski, then you are going to have to pony up two of our best prospects.

Personally I doubt ... in specifically the example with Phaneuf ... that they'd want either player.

It depends on how this fiasco with Gardiner plays out. You know ... the rumors that he and Carlyle don't get along. Hard to know if that's just more Toronto B/S or a smoke = fire situation.

If they can keep Gardiner around, maybe they don't want them. One of the big things with them, like Dallas, is they've mentioned they want and need right shots.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Thanks

Not a big piece of information, but interesting to know Nill is definitely interested in bringing Fids back at a price.

Oh sorry about that ... yeah that was one of the things originally posted with the Daley/Goli comment.

I think it likely means a two year deal. Fids is looking to go big like Edmonton did with Boyd Gordon. If he can get it, he deserves it. He had moments throughout his time here where he was average or worse, but no one picked up their game more last year late in the season or this year fighting to get into the playoffs.

He preformed when it matter, and that will likely buy him the term he wants.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Personally I doubt ... in specifically the example with Phaneuf ... that they'd want either player.

It depends on how this fiasco with Gardiner plays out. You know ... the rumors that he and Carlyle don't get along. Hard to know if that's just more Toronto B/S or a smoke = fire situation.

If they can keep Gardiner around, maybe they don't want them. One of the big things with them, like Dallas, is they've mentioned they want and need right shots.

I was more speaking in terms of relative price we would have to pay than specifics of what Toronto (or any other team selling a top pairing defenseman that isn't Weber or Subban) wants, but that's good to know.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
In regards to a trade with Toronto for Phaneuf, I know a Leafs fan offered up Reimer in a trade with Phaneuf. I LOVE that idea, sign him for 2 or 3 years at 2-2.5ish, trade him if he Campbell proves he's ready before that.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
In the context of that article I don't take that quote to mean he absolutely won't trade them. I take that to mean he doesn't have any intention of shopping either one.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
In regards to a trade with Toronto for Phaneuf, I know a Leafs fan offered up Reimer in a trade with Phaneuf. I LOVE that idea.

Yeah ... it's probably only for 1 year, but that's perfect. He'd be pissed and motivated to prove he can be a starter again. I think he'd give you a pretty damn good effort for 20 or 30 games ... something Dallas hasn't had for a while.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
In the context of that article I don't take that quote to mean he absolutely won't trade them. I take that to mean he doesn't have any intention of shopping either one.

Yeah that's what you said a few weeks ago. I think you're probably right that he'd only move them in a trade he just couldn't pass on because the value is too good from his perspective.

I wouldn't rule that out for Daley. I think Goligoski's value is probably pretty decent, but I don't think people would blow your doors off for him. Daley's contract is just so good for his contribution that maybe ... maybe a cap team would pay a premium for it.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The Pokka thing HF mentioned in the prospects thread is pretty interesting. The Isles have 10 days to sign him. If they feel like it won't get done, I hope they shop his rights and Dallas gets involved. You might have a move a 2nd, but it'd be worth it. He was the 34th overall pick two years ago ... and he's done nothing but justify that pick since then.

It's doubtful, but I wonder if you floated Connauton if they'd have any interest. He's not much different than what they already have, but if you could somehow pull that off and keep your 2nd ... that'd be great.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Just throwing this out there, but with the talk about our mix of defensemen, I don't see any way Nemeth isn't in the top 6 to start the season. He played in every playoff game he was healthy for at the expense of either Connauton or Rome.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
The Pokka thing HF mentioned in the prospects thread is pretty interesting. The Isles have 10 days to sign him. If they feel like it won't get done, I hope they shop his rights and Dallas gets involved. You might have a move a 2nd, but it'd be worth it. He was the 34th overall pick two years ago ... and he's done nothing but justify that pick since then.

It's doubtful, but I wonder if you floated Connauton if they'd have any interest. He's not much different than what they already have, but if you could somehow pull that off and keep your 2nd ... that'd be great.

You'd have to know you were signing him to justify moving a 2nd for him. If there is any doubt, just wait a week and a half.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

That would be interesting. I don't know much about the guy other than the stats but he looks like a player who produced really well in a top league. Right shot defensemen with that kind of skill don't grow on trees.

I would also value a 2nd rounder higher than Connauton in a situation like this.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
That would be interesting. I don't know much about the guy other than the stats but he looks like a player who produced really well in a top league. Right shot defensemen with that kind of skill don't grow on trees.

I would also value a 2nd rounder higher than Connauton in a situation like this.

I value a 2nd higher than Connauton in any situation IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad