Speculation: II. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Tomahawk Steaks For Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Other people are high on Legwand, and while he's not the guy I'd be most excited about, I think glove made a reasonable case weeks ago that he's likely in the mix. That's why I mentioned him again.

He's safe and boring to me, and I think that's the case for several people. That said, safe and boring gets you 40 to 50 points every year and solid defensive play. I'm more on board if he had top notch wingers ... like we knew for sure Nichushkin takes a similar leap forward as other recent top draft picks in their 19/20 year old season and is prepared to carry a line ... but that's no guarantee.

I agree that Legwand is boring. The only reason I mentioned him was due to you and glove doing so.

However the reasons you just gave are the exact reasons I also wouldn't have that much of a problem with it. He's older and with his defensive play, even if his offensive skills did erode he could just turn into another Horcoff and move down the lineup when one of the kids is ready to replace him on the 2nd line.

He just feels like another Whitney, Gonchar, etc in being a stop-gap veteran to act as a placeholder for when one of the kids is ready.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Mentioned Benn, Seguin, Eakin and Dillon as young core. Restated that it's going to be a busy summer with trades around the league.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
To add some fuel to the Phaneuf fire, Jim Nill all but named him on Rogers Sportsnet as being available (said something along the lines of people being recently resigned and not working out).

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Would Legwand really fit with our style of play? He's spent his entire career in an offensively asphyxiating system and I'm afraid he'll pull an Erat and competely suck for us right from the start.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Would Legwand really fit with our style of play? He's spent his entire career in an offensively asphyxiating system and I'm afraid he'll pull an Erat and competely suck for us right from the start.

He is not option A or B or C, but if we could get a 2 year deal, and could move Horcoff, I'd be ok with it.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
To add some fuel to the Phaneuf fire, Jim Nill all but named him on Rogers Sportsnet as being available (said something along the lines of people being recently resigned and not working out).

It's gonna happen and I'm totally ok with that

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Not to completely rehash the Legwand discussion but if you get rosterbating visions of Stastny out of your head, Legwand would be a great fit. The only way he wouldn't be a good fit is if he bamboozled his way into a 4-5 year deal. He's also way younger than both Whitney and Gonchar, though we shouldn't be so quick to forget that last year (albeit a half season) the Wizard was a damn good player for us. So was Jagr for that matter.

I agree he's not a sexy addition but signing him for 2-3 years would be a pretty safe way to bolster the center position. He's basically a poor man's Kesler except he outscored Kesler this year. I don't see why Legwand would be so far down people's wish lists.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
He is not option A or B or C, but if we could get a 2 year deal, and could move Horcoff, I'd be ok with it.

I'm assuming that the deal is at least 4 years, I would be very, very surprised if he gets only a 2 year deal. I could maybe see 3, but he's going to want term because it could very well be his last contract. My guess is he starts at 5, and he'll have to be talked down from that.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

So Clarkson? :sarcasm:

For reals tho, Phaneuf would be a good piece to add. Especially if TOR retains some salary. Not my first choice, but if Nill pulls that off, I'm certainly not going to be disappointed.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I'm ok with getting Phaneuf if they retain some salary, (at least a mil each year) and if he is not supposed to be our #1 in the grand scheme of things. I see him being as a great #2 on a good top pairing with a smarter defenseman playing the opposite side.

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
I really like phaneuf and his style of play and would love him on the stars. Hopefully if he is traded here Toronto retains some salary

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
There's no way he comes here without retained cap. He'll be here with about a Seguin size cap hit, which is reasonable. I for one welcome our new dumb overlord. It's about time we had a good clapper on the PP

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
If we did happen to get Phaneuf it seems like some sort of hockey circle of life. The first year we missed the playoffs was the year we signed Avery, who made the joke about Phaneuf and sloppy seconds. First year back in the playoffs and bring in the other half of that situation. Might be a reach haha.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Count me in on adding Phaneuf. As long as the price isn't too steep and they retain some salary I am all for it.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm in if the deal is too good to pass up, but otherwise I just don't think he's the guy. Who knows, if Nill makes the move I'll trust him and I'll gladly eat crow if it works out, but I just can't help but feel he wouldn't do well here.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Who did Phaneuf primarily play with this season?

He was with Gunnarsson when I was there in April. Dunno if it was that way all year though. I could see him paired with Dillon, and maybe Ruff works it to where he can have Dillon-Dion and Goose-Daley be a 1A 1B kind of thing. Like they split the top matchups depending on who they're against. Could be interesting

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
He was with Gunnarsson when I was there in April. Dunno if it was that way all year though. I could see him paired with Dillon, and maybe Ruff works it to where he can have Dillon-Dion and Goose-Daley be a 1A 1B kind of thing. Like they split the top matchups depending on who they're against. Could be interesting

Dillon-Phaneuf
Goligoski-Daley
Nemeth-Benn/Gonchar/Connauton

Sign me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad