Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He wasn't ok today. Got hardly any work at all in the first period. Would have liked to see him finish this game better.

Got beat clean in OT and luckily got the post.

He's so technically sound though.

Samsonov on the other hand has all the tools and size you could want but is an absolute mess in there. Just all over the place and plays WAY to far out. He's got a long way to go.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He wasn't ok today. Got hardly any work at all in the first period. Would have liked to see him finish this game better.

Got beat clean in OT and luckily got the post.

He's so technically sound though.

Samsonov on the other hand has all the tools and size you could want but is an absolute mess in there. Just all over the place and plays WAY to far out. He's got a long way to go.

Faced 12 shots in the first, 26 the next two, so pretty much the same work all three. There was no replay of the goal in OT. How could you tell he was clean beat instead of deflecting the puck? My initial thought was that he got a piece of it. And while I would've liked him to allow less goals, I thought he was pretty good. Magnitka was the better team, pretty clearly. He got beat twice by the KHL's best ever player. Mozyakin could beat any goalie in the world, these aren't some schlubs who are beating him.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Meant to say he WAS ok today. Not wasn't sorry. But that wasn't one of his best games.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Where do you guys catch the games?
I used some sketchy streams last year, trying to avoid viruses this season. Is there a TV provider that airs it?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
goalies aren't paid to stop pucks that don't go in the net

Never really understood why it's considered getting "beat" when the puck hits the post. Maybe if that puck is an inch over so it could go in the net, it's instead a save off of a body part. An inch another way maybe it misses the net altogether and we're not talking about how the goalie "got beat".

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
There's not a goalie in the world that thinks if it hits the post he didn't get beat or lucky. Trust me on this speaking as a goalie.

Not a huge deal. But I don't think it was one of his better games. He was ok. Love his technique as always. Love his quickness.

Eleven sports on fios has KHL hockey

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where do you guys catch the games?
I used some sketchy streams last year, trying to avoid viruses this season. Is there a TV provider that airs it?

onhockey is the best website to use for internet streams.

Like kovalev said, eleven sports showed it last year. I don't know if they are showing it this year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well I said I watched the game on it today so yes they show it this year

:handclap:

I wasn't aware. Where I go to school they don't have that channel, so hard for me to know. The stream I watched on today was some English dude, most of the streams are usually in Russian, so I wonder if that was picked up from the Eleven Sports feed.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
SOG per period were 12-9-7-2 and 12-16-10-1 for SKA/MMG respectively from the first period through OT.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I outlined it pretty clearly. 27 of 30 shots, and you can add to it a few shots he should save, so yes, a bad performance for someone that usually plays much better. If you don't know the context, you shouldn't assume it, instead you should ask. You didn't do that.

And I outlined pretty clearly why this is a bad assessment. Not that your conclusion is bad, never said that, just that your argument is. You can reach your conclusion while presenting a good argument. You reached your conclusion while presenting a bad argument. Literally nowhere did I assume context. You did though based on this conversation

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Never really understood why it's considered getting "beat" when the puck hits the post. Maybe if that puck is an inch over so it could go in the net, it's instead a save off of a body part. An inch another way maybe it misses the net altogether and we're not talking about how the goalie "got beat".

There is a reason goalies kiss their posts. While you have a point regarding not paid to stop shots that hit the post they are usually beat on pucks that hit the post. I have never liked that shots that hit the post are not considered shots on goal. The puck is literally hitting the goal post :)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Exactly this. It's also why I never understood why a team is considered lucky/unlucky depending on posts. Like oh, we won, but we were lucky because the Devils hit the post three times. A hit post isn't unlucky, it's just a missed shot that was slightly closer than a shot that misses the net entirely.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This kid needs to come over. Hate that he's there another 2 years.

Hellberg has two back to back shutouts 951 sav percentage he's like one of the top goalies in the K right now and absolutely sucks at the NHL level.

I really can't judge this kid until he plays in NA. Almost wish he wasn't playing for SKA. It's too easy. They dominate 90% of the teams they play.

I really like shesty I just have no idea if he's that good or it's just too easy over there.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This kid needs to come over. Hate that he's there another 2 years.

Hellberg has two back to back shutouts 951 sav percentage he's like one of the top goalies in the K right now and absolutely sucks at the NHL level.

I really can't judge this kid until he plays in NA. Almost wish he wasn't playing for SKA. It's too easy. They dominate 90% of the teams they play.

I really like shesty I just have no idea if he's that good or it's just too easy over there.

This is the correct assessment I think. Hard to coordinate this kid even though his stats make it tempting to do so.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hellberg's also only played 10 games in his KHL career. He could really struggle the rest of the season, and prove not to be as good as his start.

We know that Hellberg wasn't even a good AHL starting goalie. Somehow we are supposed to believe that he's went from that to an excellent starting goalie in a better league? Don't believe so. Hellberg is also 4 and a half years older than Shestyorkin.

So unless you just think any guy who is not proven in the NHL is a maybe, I just can't agree with the assessment that since he plays in the KHL for a good team that he's a maybe.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Yeah Hellburgs numbers in the AHL compared to KHL is significant. Worries me about Igor. I mean the KHL has such crazy gaps between bad teams and good teams. And there's not that many elite teams there. Two years to wait for him and we have no clue how he'll handle NA

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yeah Hellburgs numbers in the AHL compared to KHL is significant. Worries me about Igor. I mean the KHL has such crazy gaps between bad teams and good teams. And there's not that many elite teams there. Two years to wait for him and we have no clue how he'll handle NA

#GoaliesAreVoodoo

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Koskinen did not make the squad list for the Siberian road trip. Unless Koskinen joins the team in Siberia eventually, It likely means Igor will play the next four games, even though the last two were played by him.

Their next game is tomorrow morning against Omsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad