Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Goalies are always hard to project, and coming from the KHL doesn't necessarily make it any easier.

With that said, Shestyorkin has shown to be as promising as one can expect from the position.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
That head save...has he been hanging out with Hank?

He's making the most of the opportunities he has. Even if goalies are nearly impossible to predict, he's checking all the right boxes.

Chytil and LA might be the shiny new toys, but I'm still very excited about Shesty.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Shesty looks like he has all the tools to be a complete success at the NHL level. It's been a lot of fun watching his progression.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
30 of 31 saves in a 9-1 win. He came out a little early in the third, they gave the back up some match practice.

I wonder if he might want to come over next season. He might be getting bored. How many years of being the best goalie in the KHL does he need before he wants to join the NHL?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A couple of days ago I was watching Jokerit vs CSKA. Marchenko, Telegin, Nichushkin, Kaprizov, Gilroy, Jensen were playing. The league has quality. Large ice allows these players additional time (compared to the NHL) to make plays. Yeah depth is not the same too but team defense is not a strength there either so having consistently top stats and making highlight saves for a goalie is a VERY good sign.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Shestyorkin is as close to being confident in a goalie prospect as I have ever been. I would like to see him come over within the next two seasons. He needs some time to adapt and can hopefully step right in as Hank steps out.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Congratulations, please don't show back up to your job for the rest of the season. :laugh:

This was evidently the reasoning why he didn't make the trip. SKA plays tomorrow against Barys Astana.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where'd everything go? Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday posts are gone.

To update, 37 of 38 shots stopped on Monday. 15 save shutout today.

He's won all 11 games, leads the KHL in SV% and GAA. Now at .954 SV% for the season, 1.20 GAA.

As I mentioned, I wonder if he comes over next season. How many seasons does he want to dominate the KHL? He was the best goalie last season, he's been the best goalie so far this season, does he really want to be the best for a third season in a row? He's also already won two Gagarin Cups.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
In Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts today:

ramXp4l.png

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
In Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts today:

ramXp4l.png

I think its still gonna be Sorokin. Znarok has no problem benching Shestyorkin, did it in the playoffs last year, even though he outplayed Koskinen, and did it with Russia the last few years where Sorokin was the back up at the World Championships in June, despite Shestyorkin playing better for his KHL team and Russia during the season.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
honestly i don't think its in anyones best interest for him to come over for the 2018-19 season. Hank isn't giving up the crease yet. Let the kid come over for 2019-20 season and play 20 games behind hank. Then in 2020-21 season (Hanks last contracted year) let him play closer to 41. He is 21 and we have a starting goalie. Let them transition naturally and not force it because everyone likes new and shiny prospects. If we didnt have a goalie that would be a different conversation.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
honestly i don't think its in anyones best interest for him to come over for the 2018-19 season. Hank isn't giving up the crease yet. Let the kid come over for 2019-20 season and play 20 games behind hank. Then in 2020-21 season (Hanks last contracted year) let him play closer to 41. He is 21 and we have a starting goalie. Let them transition naturally and not force it because everyone likes new and shiny prospects. If we didnt have a goalie that would be a different conversation.

Completely agree with this. Best not to rush Shesty as he is getting very valuable experience playing in the league he is.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Hank had a .910 last season. I don't know why you think we are so set in net.

Another season like that, and Hank should not be allowed to start anymore. If Girardi and Staal are going to get lesser roles and then eventually go, it shouldn't apply any different to Hank. You need to get good goaltending to win in the NHL. Hank's gotta have a good season, otherwise this team has to consider having a different starting goalie.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Hank had a .910 last season. I don't know why you think we are so set in net.

Another season like that, and Hank should not be allowed to start anymore. If Girardi and Staal are going to get lesser roles and then eventually go, it shouldn't apply any different to Hank. You need to get good goaltending to win in the NHL. Hank's gotta have a good season, otherwise this team has to consider having a different starting goalie.
If gaa is the only stat line you look at you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how goalies actually effect the game. Hank faced tougher shots then every other goalie in the NHL last year from a defense that was easy to beat 1 on 1. Shots against ins a horrible indicator of how a goalie is preforming. Goalie ONE takes 40 shots and saves 38 of them. However 38 were from the outside and not off a pass. Goalie TWO faces 15 shots and lets 4 in. 10 of those shots were from the outside while 2 were on the break away and 3 off one timers from in close. Which goalie had the tougher game? Which goalie does save % and GAA say had the tougher game?

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
If we had a Pavelec as our starter, I could understand wanting Shesty coming over ASAP. He could potentially steal the starting position from a Pavelec. He isn't going to be stealing much away from Hank if he comes over next season. Just like SKA's coach had no problem putting in the veteran goalie over Shesty despite Shesty playing very well, there's no coach in the NHL that would play him over Hank consistently unless Hank was putting up .850 SV%/3 GAA numbers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If gaa is the only stat line you look at you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how goalies actually effect the game. Hank faced tougher shots then every other goalie in the NHL last year from a defense that was easy to beat 1 on 1. Shots against ins a horrible indicator of how a goalie is preforming. Goalie ONE takes 40 shots and saves 38 of them. However 38 were from the outside and not off a pass. Goalie TWO faces 15 shots and lets 4 in. 10 of those shots were from the outside while 2 were on the break away and 3 off one timers from in close. Which goalie had the tougher game? Which goalie does save % and GAA say had the tougher game?

I also watched our games. He was really bad last season. Do you disagree with that?

You can't have it both ways. Either you apply the same standards to Hank as you do to Staal (and previously Girardi) or you don't apply any standards, and any previous team legend gets a free ride. A late 30's goalie who's struggling to even put up average numbers can not go uncontested for a team thats trying to win. Doesn't matter what you've accomplished, gotta get rid of sentiment when you haven't won a Championship in over 20 years. You have to let results decide your decisions. There's no good option right now, so Hank will have another season to show what he can do, but another season like last season, and his starting job should be every much on the line as Staal's is this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad