Speculation: Igor Ozhiganov (CSKA Moscow) to Toronto

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
just for perspective on this thread. I talked to a friend who is an AGM of a KHL team and he said that Edmonton, LA, Devils, wings, bolts and panthers all had sit down meetings with the player. Those are the teams he knows about. And there were GM attending these meetings. This one made news because it was the leafs Gm attending the meetings

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
just for perspective on this thread. I talked to a friend who is an AGM of a KHL team and he said that Edmonton, LA, Devils, wings, bolts and panthers all had sit down meetings with the player. Those are the teams he knows about. And there were GM attending these meetings. This one made news because it was the leafs Gm attending the meetings

cb3ba1cdffbb4f66f6a193dbd4981ce4--true-facts-the-internet.jpg

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Russia really is a headache to scout for a variety of reasons (massive land mass to cover, uncooperative teams/league officials, etc) that some teams prefer to ignore it and allocate their resources elsewhere.

No. They really don't. The leafs have a bottomless pit of resources. Many NHL teams do not. The Leafs just have that many more scouts and personnel in every corner of the world of hockey. Small market teams would have to bounce their scouts around, and make do with smaller budgets and much less staff.
I mean, it's true for scouting MHL or Russian minor leagues, but anyone who's been casually following the KHL for at least a coupla years knows Ozhiganov. I don't think there's a team that can't afford a laptop and $100 for a full season-long KHL subscription to at least take notes on KHL players they'd target.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
No. They really don't. The leafs have a bottomless pit of resources. Many NHL teams do not. The Leafs just have that many more scouts and personnel in every corner of the world of hockey. Small market teams would have to bounce their scouts around, and make do with smaller budgets and much less staff.
Dunno about other small market teams, but the Jets have a pretty huge scouting network. Again, not my field of expertise but I can't imagine scouts make huge money. I think you'd need to have a LOT of them before you're affecting the bottom line of an NHL team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dunno about other small market teams, but the Jets have a pretty huge scouting network. Again, not my field of expertise but I can't imagine scouts make huge money. I think you'd need to have a LOT of them before you're affecting the bottom line of an NHL team.
There are more costs to the scout than actually employing them. I would assume a scout racks up a hell of a bill over an entire season, between hotel stays, flights, per diem (food expenses and such) and car rentals. That cost is probably significantly more than the scout's salary.

It's notable when the Sabres tried to cut costs in the mid-2000's, one of the first things they did was drastically reduce the scouting staff and tried to use video scouts.

I also would say, that it is very notable one of the cheapest/poorest teams in the NHL have one of the smallest staffs, and notably hired the Canucks Army/Draft cohort guys. If they can find guys through analytical analysis, they would significantly reduce their overhead.

The smallest scouting staffs in the league to the best of my knowledge are Carolina, Anaheim, Florida, NYI, Nashville, and Ottawa.

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
There are more costs to the scout than actually employing them. I would assume a scout racks up a hell of a bill over an entire season, between hotel stays, flights, per diem (food expenses and such) and car rentals. That cost is probably significantly more than the scout's salary.

It's notable when the Sabres tried to cut costs in the mid-2000's, one of the first things they did was drastically reduce the scouting staff and tried to use video scouts.

I also would say, that it is very notable one of the cheapest/poorest teams in the NHL have one of the smallest staffs, and notably hired the Canucks Army/Draft cohort guys. If they can find guys through analytical analysis, they would significantly reduce their overhead.

The smallest scouting staffs in the league to the best of my knowledge are Carolina, Anaheim, Florida, NYI, Nashville, and Ottawa.

From the leafs board:
20293990_121094821843777_4815667919718500435_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad