Speculation: Igor Ozhiganov (CSKA Moscow) to Toronto

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Also, since he plays for the national team (even though he's scratched) it will be difficult to convince him to come to the NHL before the Olympics.
He doesn't. He didn't play for Wcup or Worlds this year. I don't think he has a chance to make a team. Plus CSKA has 10 D right now, they just don't know what to do with all those players they acquired.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No. They really don't. The leafs have a bottomless pit of resources. Many NHL teams do not. The Leafs just have that many more scouts and personnel in every corner of the world of hockey. Small market teams would have to bounce their scouts around, and make do with smaller budgets and much less staff.

Some teams definitely don't have the resources that the Leafs have but all I did was say every team has eyes on the KHL which is in fact true. The severity of this varies by team.

I just think it's outlandish to suggest that a well known KHL commodity who is a young, all star defenseman such as Ozhiganov is targeted by the leafs because "they have eyes in places most teams don't" which is exactly what you said about this situation. If an NHL team isn't aware of Ozhiganov and what he can bring as a player they need to strip their management team to the studs and start over.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He doesn't. He didn't play for Wcup or Worlds this year. I don't think he has a chance to make a team. Plus CSKA has 10 D right now, they just don't know what to do with all those players they acquired.

That's why there is a chance he'll come to the NHL this season. CSKA has too many players, and it looks like Ozhiganov doesn't have a lot of desire to stay on the team.

I doubt Toronto bosses would have had a meeting with him, if they didn't want him on the team right now.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Scored 78% of Zaitsev's production in the KHL despite less ice-time. His numbers pro-rate to about 28pts in the NHL, assuming he transitions as smoothly as Zaitsev. Won the 2017 KHL hardest-shot competition at the all-star game with a 100mph slap shot.

Yeah but Zaitsev's transition was the exception not the rule.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Some teams definitely don't have the resources that the Leafs have but all I did was say every team has eyes on the KHL which is in fact true. The severity of this varies by team.

I just think it's outlandish to suggest that a well known KHL commodity who is a young, all star defenseman such as Ozhiganov is targeted by the leafs because "they have eyes in places most teams don't" which is exactly what you said about this situation. If an NHL team isn't aware of Ozhiganov and what he can bring as a player they need to strip their management team to the studs and start over.

I doubt that Ottawa even has a pair of eyes in Russia as we haven't drafted someone from there in about a decade.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I doubt that Ottawa even has a pair of eyes in Russia as we haven't drafted someone from there in about a decade.
The Hurricanes haven't drafted a Russian since 2001. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't paying attention to the KHL at all. They're a low budget team that can't afford to pay the premiums that Russian players are able to get due to KHL leverage.

The only Russian prospects they've acquired since 2001 are Babchuk, Dadonov, Zykov and Tolchinsky, all of whom had played in North America prior. Babchuk was a headache who refused to report to the AHL and fled to the KHL twice, while Dadonov left for the KHL as soon as his ELC was up.

For a team like Hurricanes it's not worth it to to draft players from a country where there's a league willing to pay premiums for NHL-level talent. It's nothing to do with Russiaphobia, but just simple economics. It's not surprising that one of the other teams that doesn't have a Russian scout is the Sens, another budget team.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Is there any situation where we can actually have him play for the TML this season? IE, they release him from his contract?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
They'll have a logjam for prospects to get playign time on the Marlies let alone the big club at this rate. Didn't they also sign two other European dmen from Sweden this year? Rosen and another one iirc?

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Is there any situation where we can actually have him play for the TML this season? IE, they release him from his contract?

He could buy his own contract out ala Kontiola, or Toronto could work something out to get them to release him. He didn't play the first 1-2 KHL games this season, for some reason, despite being their top defenseman. So maybe there is something to it?

Also possible he could join Toronto once CSKA's season is done? They are good though so prob play late into the year.

They'll have a logjam for prospects to get playign time on the Marlies let alone the big club at this rate. Didn't they also sign two other European dmen from Sweden this year? Rosen and another one iirc?

I'd assume he would only be joining to play 3rd pair RD or something. And yeah we signed Rosen and Borgman. One of them should make it. Doubt they both game over to play in the AHL.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Borgman.

If you can't get a Hamonic, you have to beat the bushes.
They have to give all these guys and Ozhiganov, Butcher a chance.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Borgman.

If you can't get a Hamonic, you have to beat the bushes.
They have to give all these guys and Ozhiganov, Butcher a chance.

Exactly. If there isn't a trade out there, then it becomes time for the scouts to prove their worth.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Scored 78% of Zaitsev's production in the KHL despite less ice-time. His numbers pro-rate to about 28pts in the NHL, assuming he transitions as smoothly as Zaitsev. Won the 2017 KHL hardest-shot competition at the all-star game with a 100mph slap shot.

24 year old RHD with size (6'2" 205lbs) and great mobility. Apparently Kucherov has been pushing Tampa's management to sign this guy and here's what he said in a translated interview:

"I always say this to the Lightning; not only about Gusev, but about Igor Ozhiganov too. It’s not about our friendship. Both are great players, they could help Tampa to win a Stanley Cup. I wouldn’t have recommended them if they weren’t able to. By the way, I spoke to them about taking their chances in the NHL. It’s an opportunity to play against the best players in the world."

https://www.rawcharge.com/platform/...usev-ozhiganov-local-media-andrei-vasilevskiy

This deal would 100% be for the 2018-2019 season, however. He still has 1 year on his contract with CSKA who will obviously be competing for the Gagarin Cup. Also, since he plays for the national team (even though he's scratched) it will be difficult to convince him to come to the NHL before the Olympics. Regardless, he's a legitimate talent and would be another huge free wallet pickup if the Leafs could pull it off. Toronto's scouting staff have been finding gems all over Europe, bringing in Soshnikov, Komarov, Zaitsev, Borgman, Rosen, Aaltonen and now potentially Ozhiganov.

Thanks for the info. Good post.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
There are certain organizations that don't have a full-time scout in Russia and completely ignore it. For example, I don't think Carolina, Calgary, or Ottawa have a Russian based amateur or pro-scout for example.

Russia really is a headache to scout for a variety of reasons (massive land mass to cover, uncooperative teams/league officials, etc) that some teams prefer to ignore it and allocate their resources elsewhere.

The Ducks haven't drafted, signed or employed a single young Russian player during Murray's tenure. The only Russians to play for the Ducks during that time were NHL veterans on short term deals.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Yeah but Zaitsev's transition was the exception not the rule.

Leafs getting Zaitsev was a coup for them.
He wasn't unknown, for example, he'd been to NYR prospect camp twice.

Leafs picked the right guy.
Czech RD Mozik was also twice here in July w NYR. Signed w Devs in '15.
Already back in Czech, no NHL games last year

These guys really build the depth of your roster.
'10 Olympics convinced NYR to pursue Zuccarello
Now he's been a core player for years

Ozhiganov averaged 50 games over 5 seasons in KHL, if he passes evaluation by scouts as well, could be real solid add
We all know much demand exceeds supply for RHD you can trust minutes to

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

He could buy his own contract out ala Kontiola, or Toronto could work something out to get them to release him. He didn't play the first 1-2 KHL games this season, for some reason, despite being their top defenseman. So maybe there is something to it?

Also possible he could join Toronto once CSKA's season is done? They are good though so prob play late into the year.

I'd assume he would only be joining to play 3rd pair RD or something. And yeah we signed Rosen and Borgman. One of them should make it. Doubt they both game over to play in the AHL.

Assuming CSKA is eliminated before the Gagarin Cup finals (very likely), they could sign him and have him play in the final regular season games. That's what the Blues did with Sobotka last year.

The Leafs aren't that deep on defense, I doubt they created a logjam. And if they do, they can always move a D prospect for another piece at a different position. Right handed defensemen with a booming slap shot like Ozhiganov are rare. He would be a valuable piece for the Leafs.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Queue people who have never seen him play suddenly declaring him a top 4 D or a bust.

The Leafs aren't that deep on defense, I doubt they created a logjam. And if they do, they can always move a D prospect for another piece at a different position. Right handed defensemen with a booming slap shot like Ozhiganov are rare. He would be a valuable piece for the Leafs.

Yes they are.. It's a myth on here and it's super annoying. They are missing literally 1 piece and it is someone to be "The" guy on defense. Below that, they have 3 solid pieces in their top 4 in Gardiner, Zaitzev (Amazing 2nd pairing for us last year) and Rielly.

Then below that, they have another 6 or 7 players NHL ready or will be NHL ready by the TDL.

Carrick
Hainsey
Marincin
Rosen
Borgman
Dermott (Was singled out by management as being ready last season)

Then some other guys who have potential to make the roster in a bottom pairing role this season as a fill in

Lilegren who is staying in NA
Holl
Polak (Out with an injury but loved by Babcock and will likely come back and practice with the team like they did with Berra last year)

They are VERY deep in literally every spot except center (off the NHL roster). Right now, the Leafs have about 7 players too many for the jobs available throughout the lineup. They are one of the deepest teams in the NHL. They are just lacking one huge piece.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Queue people who have never seen him play suddenly declaring him a top 4 D or a bust.

Yes they are.. It's a myth on here and it's super annoying. They are missing literally 1 piece and it is someone to be "The" guy on defense. Below that, they have 3 solid pieces in their top 4 in Gardiner, Zaitzev (Amazing 2nd pairing for us last year) and Rielly.

Then below that, they have another 6 or 7 players NHL ready or will be NHL ready by the TDL.

Carrick
Hainsey
Marincin
Rosen
Borgman
Dermott (Was singled out by management as being ready last season)

Then some other guys who have potential to make the roster in a bottom pairing role this season as a fill in

Lilegren who is staying in NA
Holl
Polak (Out with an injury but loved by Babcock and will likely come back and practice with the team like they did with Berra last year)

They are VERY deep in literally every spot except center (off the NHL roster). Right now, the Leafs have about 7 players too many for the jobs available throughout the lineup. They are one of the deepest teams in the NHL. They are just lacking one huge piece.

You're not getting Ozhiganov this year anyway. The Leafs will have sorted out their depth chart on defense a year from now. Some of the players you named will be moved by then, and hopefully the Leafs acquire the true #1D they're missing. Ozhiganov is a free gamble, I'm sure the Leafs management could carve him out a roster spot if they deem he's worthy of it. The Leafs have enough flexibility to make it work.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Assuming CSKA is eliminated before the Gagarin Cup finals (very likely), they could sign him and have him play in the final regular season games. That's what the Blues did with Sobotka last year....

Not quite so simple.

If he was not on TML reserve list when season starts, he will have to pass through waivers before Leafs add him to roster.

Probably Sobotka was a 'defected' player, who as RFA was QO'd by Blues but didnt sign.
That retains his rights for StL

That's how NYR were allowed to add Zuccarello for '13 late season and playoffs without waivers, after his KHL season.
May allow them to do same this spring, w Nicklas Jensen, but uncertain, as his KHL was announced as a 2 year deal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Not quite so simple.

If he was not on TML reserve list when season starts, he will have to pass through waivers before Leafs add him to roster.

Probably Sobotka was a 'defected' player, who as RFA was QO'd by Blues but didnt sign.

That's how NYR were allowed to add Zuccarello for '13 late season and playoffs without waivers, after his KHL season.
May allow them to do same this spring, w Nicklas Jensen, but uncertain, as his KHL was announced as a 2 year deal.

Exactly. Similar to the ROR situation too. Colorado had qualified him so he went right back into the lineup once they matched Calgary's OS. Had Colorado not matched, Calgary would have had to waive ROR. People make fun of Feaster for this mistake but I don't know why nobody mentions Sherman (then GM of the Avs). The Avs were at the time in last place and first on the waiver selection list. Had they not matched Feaster's stupid offer they could have taken the draft pick compensation (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and then claim ROR back the very next day. Calgary used that 1st to draft Monahan that year. that means the Avs could have realistically walked out of that draft with Mackinnon and Monahan (likely would have been Risto or Nurse instead of Monahan though)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Not quite so simple.

Exactly. Similar to the ROR situation too. Colorado had qualified him so he went right back into the lineup once they matched Calgary's OS. Had Colorado not matched, Calgary would have had to waive ROR. People make fun of Feaster for this mistake but I don't know why nobody mentions Sherman (then GM of the Avs). The Avs were at the time in last place and first on the waiver selection list. Had they not matched Feaster's stupid offer they could have taken the draft pick compensation (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and then claim ROR back the very next day. Calgary used that 1st to draft Monahan that year. that means the Avs could have realistically walked out of that draft with Mackinnon and Monahan (likely would have been Risto or Nurse instead of Monahan though)

Yes, I forgot about waivers, good point. Well, TML can have Ozhiganov for sure next season if they want him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad