Speculation: Igor Ozhiganov (CSKA Moscow) to Toronto

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Russian article says Lou and Babcock had dinner with CSKA Moscow RHD Igor Ozhiganov recently in Moscow.

Highlights:

He has a year remaining on his KHL deal so likely would be next year. Apparently Kucherov has been trying to get Tampa to sign him.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
His KHL numbers are pretty underwhelming..

Can someone who watches the KHL chime in on his play?

KHL numbers don't mean a ton. Zaitsev's weren't much better and he immediately stepped in as a top four defenseman.

From what I've read Ozhiganov is more of an offensive guy. Highlights remind me of a stereotypical Russian player, just on defense.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems like a decent enough depth signing, wonder if he'll make the team's opening night lineup though.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
He's a righty and he's good size. 6'2, 214lbs. Never heard of him though until this thread. That's the one thing about be Leafs though. They have eyes in places where most teams don't. Interested to see what they do with this guy.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He's a righty and he's good size. 6'2, 214lbs. Never heard of him though until this thread. That's the one thing about be Leafs though. They have eyes in places where most teams don't. Interested to see what they do with this guy.

The KHL is the second best hockey league in the world. Every NHL team has eyes there. Plenty of teams sign players from there.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The KHL is the second best hockey league in the world. Every NHL team has eyes there. Plenty of teams sign players from there.
There are certain organizations that don't have a full-time scout in Russia and completely ignore it. For example, I don't think Carolina, Calgary, or Ottawa have a Russian based amateur or pro-scout for example.

Russia really is a headache to scout for a variety of reasons (massive land mass to cover, uncooperative teams/league officials, etc) that some teams prefer to ignore it and allocate their resources elsewhere.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
There are certain organizations that don't have a full-time scout in Russia and completely ignore it. For example, I don't think Carolina, Calgary, or Ottawa have a Russian based amateur or pro-scout for example.

Russia really is a headache to scout for a variety of reasons (massive land mass to cover, uncooperative teams/league officials, etc) that some teams prefer to ignore it and allocate their resources elsewhere.

To be honest, I'm not sure the Leafs even had a guy there before the Shanahan era. Burkie and Potato wanted nothing to do with Russia/KHL. One exception is Komarov but he was technically part of the Leafs system already.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
To be honest, I'm not sure the Leafs even had a guy there before the Shanahan era. Burkie and Potato wanted nothing to do with Russia/KHL. One exception is Komarov but he was technically part of the Leafs system already.

And even then Komarov isn't really a Russian.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well so far they havee been successful in finding NHL caliber players in Sosh and Zaitsev maybe they can go 3 for 3

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
well if he does sign it just shows that the leafs consider him better than marchenko at the very least, low risk signing with potential upside

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ladygin has been on our staff since JFJ. Burke just ignored our Euro scouts until the 4th round.

Since we hired Hunter, we have added another Russian scout in Namestinkov and added Vuori (a Finn) as director of euro-scouting.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Ladygin has been on our staff since JFJ. Burke just ignored our Euro scouts until the 4th round.

Since we hired Hunter, we have added another Russian scout in Namestinkov and added Vuori (a Finn) as director of euro-scouting.

Don't we have a KHL assistant coach employed as a scout as well? Believe that's where we found Sosh.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Maybe the Leafs plan on running lines of two forwards and 3 defenceman....:sarcasm:

Matthew - Nylander
Rielly - Hainsey - x

Marner - Marleau
Gardiner - Zaitsev - x

Kadri - JVR
Swede - Swede - Russian

Brown - Hyman

x - x - x

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016

No. They really don't. The leafs have a bottomless pit of resources. Many NHL teams do not. The Leafs just have that many more scouts and personnel in every corner of the world of hockey. Small market teams would have to bounce their scouts around, and make do with smaller budgets and much less staff.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He didn't play in the 1st season game and isn't playing in the 2nd. Not sure, why. He can be injured, but it can be because he's going to play in the NHL this season.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Scored 78% of Zaitsev's production in the KHL despite less ice-time. His numbers pro-rate to about 28pts in the NHL, assuming he transitions as smoothly as Zaitsev. Won the 2017 KHL hardest-shot competition at the all-star game with a 100mph slap shot.

24 year old RHD with size (6'2" 205lbs) and great mobility. Apparently Kucherov has been pushing Tampa's management to sign this guy and here's what he said in a translated interview:

"I always say this to the Lightning; not only about Gusev, but about Igor Ozhiganov too. It’s not about our friendship. Both are great players, they could help Tampa to win a Stanley Cup. I wouldn’t have recommended them if they weren’t able to. By the way, I spoke to them about taking their chances in the NHL. It’s an opportunity to play against the best players in the world."

https://www.rawcharge.com/platform/...usev-ozhiganov-local-media-andrei-vasilevskiy

This deal would 100% be for the 2018-2019 season, however. He still has 1 year on his contract with CSKA who will obviously be competing for the Gagarin Cup. Also, since he plays for the national team (even though he's scratched) it will be difficult to convince him to come to the NHL before the Olympics. Regardless, he's a legitimate talent and would be another huge free wallet pickup if the Leafs could pull it off. Toronto's scouting staff have been finding gems all over Europe, bringing in Soshnikov, Komarov, Zaitsev, Borgman, Rosen, Aaltonen and now potentially Ozhiganov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad