TSN: Iginla submitted a list of four teams he would approve a trade to

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
There was a list Ken King admitted it, they felt the Bruins offer wasn't much better than Pitts and let Iggy choose between Boston and Pitts.

Hmm, missed that part.

Whether I agree with their assessment on the return is irrelevant. I still just don't understand why Chiarelli was denied a conversation with Iggy and why the phone's went quiet. Chiarelli said he called...I'm assuming more than once :laugh:

Maybe this is just the disappointment talking, but I refuse to believe this negotiation was done in 100% good faith. Can't help but think the B's were just used to try and drive up the price.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hmm, missed that part.

Whether I agree with their assessment on the return is irrelevant. I still just don't understand why Chiarelli was denied a conversation with Iggy and why the phone's went quiet. Chiarelli said he called...I'm assuming more than once :laugh:

Maybe this is just the disappointment talking, but I refuse to believe this negotiation was done in 100% good faith. Can't help but think the B's were just used to try and drive up the price.

With the general lack of details and the 'he said, she said' game going around, it's not easy figuring out what exactly happened. There are some key details however that can't be ignored. Namely, the fact that the Bruins scratched Khokolachev and Bartkowski. Teams rarely go that far unless they firmly believe is done, with little more than the paperwork left. Beyond that, remember, GM's aren't about to admit they made a mistake, especially if it carries a consequence. It sends a very bad signal to everyone watching. That being said, there's three possible ways this went down.

1. Iginla submits a list of four teams that he'll accept a trade to, those being the Bruins, Hawks, Kings and Penguins. Feaster goes to all them and manages to find three acceptable offers, as mentioned in the press conference. However, Feaster clearly prefers the Bruins offer and lets Chiarelli know, who then mistakenly believes this means the deal's done, and Iginla's a Bruin. He proceeds to scratch Khokolachev and Bartkowski, thinking he can announce the trade after the game while members of his staff leak the news to the media. However, Feaster as he claims, goes to Iginla and shows him the three offers and asks him which team he prefers. Iginla says the Penguins and the whole thing blows up.

2. In the second scenario, everything plays out the same way as in the previous one, except instead of Chiarelli misinterpreting Feaster's words, it's Feaster who directly tells his Boston counterpart that it's a done deal. Before even getting Iginla's signature, Feaster jumps the gun and wrongly assumes because Boston was one of the teams on the list, that it's okay to get a deal done without passing it by Iginla one last time. However, after letting everyone know it's a done deal, Feaster finally goes to Iginla to hit his approval (or Iginla goes to Feaster) only to find out that he'd rather go the Penguins. Feaster, once again, has egg on his face.

3. In this case, it starts the same way but instead of Feaster or Chiarelli screwing up, it's Iginla simply changing his mind. He first agrees to a deal with the Bruins, but then backs out after deciding playing Crosby is a much more enticing opportunity.

Now, considering these three scenarios, it seems obvious, at least to me, which one is more likely. From what we know of the Chiarelli, it doesn't seem likely that he would make that kind of mistake. He's been in the business for a while and by all accounts, seems to run a pretty tight ship.

Regarding Iginla suddenly changing his mind; well, it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not like the opportunity to play with Crosby would have been a surprise. At worst, he may have listed four teams while really preferring to go the Pens, but only to allow the Flames to get the best possible offer. In that case, it wouldn't have been his failing that details were leaked or the Bruins believed they had won the sweepstakes.

So finally, all that's left is Feaster and the Flames management, and honestly, that kind of screw up seems to fit in pretty well with all of his other blunders. We know from previous cases that Feaster is full of hot air, that he has no compunction with blowing a lot of smoke to make it seem like it's always someones else's fault when things go wrong. Instead of standing at the podium and simply saying 'we believe the return is solid and those prospects will be players down the road,' in he instead attempts to shift all the blame for the weak return and miscommunication to Iginla's shoulders; saying he's the one who choose the deal and he's the one who choose the Penguins over the Bruins. Feaster clearly has no integrity, and we know that because if did, he'd resign like he said he would now that the team is rebuilding. So bottom line, it looks like responsibility for the 'miscommunication' most probably lies with the Flames management.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
I suggest that everyone listen to the 3 Bob McCown Podcasts at the bottom of this list of Links:

"Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli will be available to the media at 2:00 pm at TD Garden ^BB"

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/317302512396951552

"Chiarelli presser today, 2 p.m. He's forever been Peter the Patient. Maybe not this time."

https://twitter.com/GlobeKPD/status/317306018575048704

"Tune in to NESN at 2 p.m. ET to watch #Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli's news conference."

https://twitter.com/NESN/status/317322439891759104

LIVE STREAM:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/sportsnet-live/

Peter Chiarelli Press Conference:

http://t.co/u375swFO07

Bob McCown with Flames President & CEO Ken King:

http://bcove.me/0q1ablbe

Interview with Calgary GM Jay Feaster:

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/894186/clip/0

Bob McCown on Jarome Iginla:

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/PTS-2013-03-28-4-pm.mp3

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/PTS-2013-03-28-5-pm.mp3

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/PTS-2013-03-28-6-pm.mp3

http://feeds.feedburner.com/fan590primetimesports

kshinkman*

With the general lack of details and the 'he said, she said' game going around, it's not easy figuring out what exactly happened. There are some key details however that can't be ignored. Namely, the fact that the Bruins scratched Khokolachev and Bartkowski. Teams rarely go that far unless they firmly believe is done, with little more than the paperwork left. Beyond that, remember, GM's aren't about to admit they made a mistake, especially if it carries a consequence. It sends a very bad signal to everyone watching. That being said, there's three possible ways this went down.

1. Iginla submits a list of four teams that he'll accept a trade to, those being the Bruins, Hawks, Kings and Penguins. Feaster goes to all them and manages to find three acceptable offers, as mentioned in the press conference. However, Feaster clearly prefers the Bruins offer and lets Chiarelli know, who then mistakenly believes this means the deal's done, and Iginla's a Bruin. He proceeds to scratch Khokolachev and Bartkowski, thinking he can announce the trade after the game while members of his staff leak the news to the media. However, Feaster as he claims, goes to Iginla and shows him the three offers and asks him which team he prefers. Iginla says the Penguins and the whole thing blows up.

2. In the second scenario, everything plays out the same way as in the previous one, except instead of Chiarelli misinterpreting Feaster's words, it's Feaster who directly tells his Boston counterpart that it's a done deal. Before even getting Iginla's signature, Feaster jumps the gun and wrongly assumes because Boston was one of the teams on the list, that it's okay to get a deal done without passing it by Iginla one last time. However, after letting everyone know it's a done deal, Feaster finally goes to Iginla to hit his approval (or Iginla goes to Feaster) only to find out that he'd rather go the Penguins. Feaster, once again, has egg on his face.

3. In this case, it starts the same way but instead of Feaster or Chiarelli screwing up, it's Iginla simply changing his mind. He first agrees to a deal with the Bruins, but then backs out after deciding playing Crosby is a much more enticing opportunity.

Now, considering these three scenarios, it seems obvious, at least to me, which one is more likely. From what we know of the Chiarelli, it doesn't seem likely that he would make that kind of mistake. He's been in the business for a while and by all accounts, seems to run a pretty tight ship.

Regarding Iginla suddenly changing his mind; well, it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not like the opportunity to play with Crosby would have been a surprise. At worst, he may have listed four teams while really preferring to go the Pens, but only to allow the Flames to get the best possible offer. In that case, it wouldn't have been his failing that details were leaked or the Bruins believed they had won the sweepstakes.

So finally, all that's left is Feaster and the Flames management, and honestly, that kind of screw up seems to fit in pretty well with all of his other blunders. We know from previous cases that Feaster is full of hot air, that he has no compunction with blowing a lot of smoke to make it seem like it's always someones else's fault when things go wrong. Instead of standing at the podium and simply saying 'we believe the return is solid and those prospects will be players down the road,' in he instead attempts to shift all the blame for the weak return and miscommunication to Iginla's shoulders; saying he's the one who choose the deal and he's the one who choose the Penguins over the Bruins. Feaster clearly has no integrity, and we know that because if did, he'd resign like he said he would now that the team is rebuilding. So bottom line, it looks like responsibility for the 'miscommunication' most probably lies with the Flames management.

Speculation alert:

I've no idea what happened, but the scenario that seems most likely to me is that Iginla lists four teams that he would be willing to go, if the Flames got a great offer. In the end, the Bruins offer was better but but not dramatically better, If the Bruins had made a really good offer, he was willing to go there to help the Flames, but they didn't. So he went where he wanted to go.

kshinkman*

Hmm, missed that part.

Maybe you should team up with Eugene Melnyk to prove that everyone is out to maliciously cause intentional harm. Paranoids always like more company in their fantasies.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I suggest that everyone listen to the 3 Bob McCown Podcasts at the bottom of this list of Links:

Thanks for the links!

I caught McCown's interview with Glen Healy and thought some really important and interesting things were said about how this trade went down (And should have gone down). I'll go through the podcasts when I get back from work.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
King confirmed that didn't happen.

No I'm not. I don't want to lose Koko.

It's cute that you keep defending your hero though.

It's cute you keep a dragging this on, you won't believe the people involved but believe some radio host. Good luck in the playoffs and on your wild goose chase.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
It's cute you keep a dragging this on, you won't believe the people involved but believe some radio host. Good luck in the playoffs and on your wild goose chase.

I believe King who was interviewed by said radio host. And I believe what Peter Chiarelli said in his Press Conference.

Thanks, good luck on your rebuild.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Iginla had a full NMC. That means if Boston offered first round picks for the next 10 years, and Pittsburgh offered Tanner Glass Iginla STILL would have been able to block a trade to Boston regardless of what the dumb ass ****ing morons who run this team wanted.

Get over it. Jesus.

martinarse

Aug 28, 2011

really well put together theory I was thinking the same possible scenarios myself,been hard listening to the other fans saying well Crosby is the best of course he wants to play there get over it end of story.its unprofessional how it went down either way .but on whose behalf ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad