Iggy: Best To Move On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Krejci*

I wasn't always focussing on his play alone, but I thought, all things considered, he looked as engaged as anyone. Some games he seemed ineffective, a little slow at times. As others have pointed out, he wasn't a speedster in the reg season.

How do you feel his ankle sprain affected his play in the POs? I think it had more to do with his play than his age did.

If he scores 30 goals again, and stays healthy in the POs, I have no problem with him not being a speedster.
You weren't focusing at all on his play, I can't remember you giving any other reason to why you thought he was fine in the playoffs other than his stats, but whatever. I never said he wasn't engaged. He cares, he tried, it wasn't a lack of effort or anything like that. Aside from the footspeed, his shot wasn't there at all, bad passes everywhere, turnovers due to poor decision making (maybe because he couldn't move on the high ankle sprain? I don't know).

High ankle sprains are obviously devastating, we saw what they did to Lucic and how it hindered him in 2010. If it was confirmed that he played throughout the playoffs with one, then fine, he deserves a bit of slack, but if you're not healthy enough to play an effective game, you shouldn't be out there. You will here bring up the 5 goals, but cl

That said, I don't believe Iginla is the right guy at this stage of his career where he should be relied on as a first line right wing on a Stanley Cup winning team. And he definitely isn't good enough to warrant having to move someone like Johnny Boychuk to keep him, and to saddle ourselves with another handcuffing cap penalty next year, which is what it seems like we'd have to do if we were to keep him. He had a nice regular season, good for him. I had no problem with his play in the regular season. But we can't build our team based on how guys play in the regular season (which is the main reason why Marchand should be shown the door).

If you honestly believe that the high ankle sprain (if he had one) was the reason he was underwhelming in the playoffs, then that is your opinion and I'm not going to try and change it because we've both said our peace and I don't feel like going in circles.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
You weren't focusing at all on his play, I can't remember you giving any other reason to why you thought he was fine in the playoffs other than his stats, but whatever.

For someone who goes ballistic whenever anyone misinterprets your inconsistent, illogical declarations, you sure like to twist things and make outrageous, insupportable assumptions.

I never said he wasn't engaged.

Jeezus! :shakehead
I never said you said that! You asked me what I thought of his play and I told you.

High ankle sprains are obviously devastating, we saw what they did to Lucic and how it hindered him in 2010. If it was confirmed that he played throughout the playoffs with one, then fine, he deserves a bit of slack, but if you're not healthy enough to play an effective game, you shouldn't be out there. You will here bring up the 5 goals, but cl

Yes, I would bring up the team lead in goals - because it matters! Stats are not everything, but they aren't irrelevant. They reflect results. Especially when your job is to put the puck in the net, doing just that is not something that one should gloss over.

I had no problem with his play in the regular season. But we can't build our team based on how guys play in the regular season (which is the main reason why Marchand should be shown the door).

Yes, you've said the regular season doesn't matter to you. So by your logic we should also look at shipping out Krejci, Bergeron, Rask, Chara, and most of the team.

If you're going to criticize Iginla's play based on the idea that his shot was off, passing was off, etc., then you have to apply that also to half the team, and conclude that they will always have this sudden inability to pass and will be dead weight moving forward. Is that what you believe? Explain why your assessment applies only to certain players and not others.

If you honestly believe that the high ankle sprain (if he had one) was the reason he was underwhelming in the playoffs, then that is your opinion and I'm not going to try and change it because we've both said our peace and I don't feel like going in circles.

No, you're not going to try to change it because it's based on a reasonable point of view. Injuries like that hamper players' performance. To suggest otherwise is idiocy.

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
While I acknowledge this team does need a guy who finishes in front like Iggy, I think him moving on is a positive. I think he did fit, and he'd be great to have back, but they need some more speed and there are only so many places to put it. This opens up a spot in the top 6 and it'd be nice to see someone with some more speed to fill it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
While I acknowledge this team does need a guy who finishes in front like Iggy, I think him moving on is a positive. I think he did fit, and he'd be great to have back, but they need some more speed and there are only so many places to put it. This opens up a spot in the top 6 and it'd be nice to see someone with some more speed to fill it.

I really appreciate your take on things...

How do you feel about the Vrbata rumor?

David Krejci*

For someone who goes ballistic whenever anyone misinterprets your inconsistent, illogical declarations, you sure like to twist things and make outrageous, insupportable assumptions.

Jeezus! :shakehead
I never said you said that! You asked me what I thought of his play and I told you.

I wasn't sure if you were implying it because a lot of the time when I give my breakdown of Iginla's postseason performance this year, some people take it as me saying that he didn't care or didn't try.

Yes, I would bring up the team lead in goals - because it matters! Stats are not everything, but they aren't irrelevant. They reflect results. Especially when your job is to put the puck in the net, doing just that is not something that one should gloss over.

Yeah but that was the only thing you used to defend him. I'm not saying ignore it, but when that's all you bring to the discussion, you get labelled a stat watcher.

Yes, you've said the regular season doesn't matter to you. So by your logic we should also look at shipping out Krejci, Bergeron, Rask, Chara, and most of the team.

No because all of those guys are in their prime (except Chara) and have proven to be great fits and performed very well for us in the playoffs. I have been saying all along we should be looking at shipping Marchand, though. Not just for this year, he hasn't done anything the past 3 years other than 4 games vs ****tsburgh. He was amazing in 2011 but that unfortunately has turned out to be the exception to the rule for him.

If you're going to criticize Iginla's play based on the idea that his shot was off, passing was off, etc., then you have to apply that also to half the team, and conclude that they will always have this sudden inability to pass and will be dead weight moving forward. Is that what you believe? Explain why your assessment applies only to certain players and not others.

Because none of those other players are going on 38 years old and requiring us to re-sign them at a price that we would have to move out another valuable piece (therefore decreasing our Cup chances even more), and handcuff us again next year with cap bonuses, to fit them in.

No, you're not going to try to change it because it's based on a reasonable point of view. Injuries like that hamper players' performance. To suggest otherwise is idiocy.

Well that injury was a result of Iginla being selfish and shortsighted and participating in a meaningless fight in a meaningless game against a 4th line plug, a week before the playoffs. So that was an idiotic decision by him and if the high ankle sprain was what hampered him, it's nobody's fault but his own and he let everyone down because he was not the same player in the playoffs that we saw all regular season, no matter what the numbers say his scoring rate was.

bolded

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
a bunch of bolded stuff

But players, whether in their prime or in late 30s, don't suddenly lose their passing and shooting ability for it never to come back. That's just silly. His passing/shooting was fine all season long. No reason to believe his passing, shooting, scoring ability won't be just fine next season, same as Marchand, Krejci, Looch and others who made horrible passes and missed wide open nets through the POs.

As for blaming him for his injury, but not allowing for its effects on his play - that's just laughable. Please.

Bottom line for me is, there may be perfectly legit reasons to want to move on from Iggy - reasons specific to the Bruins FO - future cap implications, money, term, not wanting to lose players like Kelly or Boychuck or whoever - but I personally don't think his play in the playoffs is one of them.

Unless his ankle injury continues to effect him next season (Looch's took a while), he'll add scoring punch to some team's roster.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I really appreciate your take on things...

How do you feel about the Vrbata rumor?

I'm not bp but I'll offer this.

As it appears problematic to afford Iginla it will be interesting to see what cap gymnastics will be required to add an UFA like Vrbata. It doesn't make sense to me.

Of the two players I prefer Iginla.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I didn't hear about it...fill me in.

Per former Bruins defenseman and TSN analyst Aaron Ward, the B’s are one of 5-6 teams that have expressed interest in impending free agent Radim Vrbata.

While Peter Chiarelli said last weekend at the NHL Draft in Philadelphia that he’d had no problem bumping Loui Eriksson up to the right wing spot on the top line, the Bruins would ideally like to get a right shot riding on the right side of that forward trio. Vrbata could definitely be the shooter needed for that line, but there’s also some level of unpredictability with him.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/report-bruins-show-interest-free-agent-vrbata

Knotty Moog

May 12, 2012
Los Angeles
Long time B's fan, new poster. I know how this place works. That said.... Iginla is a great player and was a great piece to our team. However, the bruins need to start putting faith in the farm. And we as fans need to accept a cap for what it is. This management team has brought me a stanley in my lifetime. I have full confidence in their decisions!!

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Per former Bruins defenseman and TSN analyst Aaron Ward, the B’s are one of 5-6 teams that have expressed interest in impending free agent Radim Vrbata.

While Peter Chiarelli said last weekend at the NHL Draft in Philadelphia that he’d had no problem bumping Loui Eriksson up to the right wing spot on the top line, the Bruins would ideally like to get a right shot riding on the right side of that forward trio. Vrbata could definitely be the shooter needed for that line, but there’s also some level of unpredictability with him.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/report-bruins-show-interest-free-agent-vrbata

I would like a guy on the 1st line who can really tee it up and knows where to go in the offensive zone.Someone like Nathan Horton.:sarcasm:

Mr. Make-Believe

I didn't hear about it...fill me in.

Alan filled in in my absence there.

Vrbata is just way out in left field, not only because he's Radim Vrbata - a cat nowhere near MY radar. But also because it appears Chiarelli is attempting to be active on the free agent market, despite having no real room to do so.

I still don't know how I feel about it (assuming it's a possibility). Chiarelli mentioned earlier about someone who was interested in possibly filling in at wing if Iginla decided to go elsewhere. Never would have thought it was someone like Vrbata. That said, he IS someone with a little bit more speed who has a history of being a medium-decent scorer. He may be precisely what you are attempting to describe in the post I originally quoted.

Mr. Make-Believe

I'm not bp but I'll offer this.

As it appears problematic to afford Iginla it will be interesting to see what cap gymnastics will be required to add an UFA like Vrbata. It doesn't make sense to me.

Of the two players I prefer Iginla.

I don't understand the Vrbata connection. Matt Moulson I can understand, being on perennial non-contenders until his trade to Minnesota and the 2011 smoke we had regarding his acquisition. But Vrbata is a real mystery to me.

I happen to be one of those people who would prefer Iginla over anyone, but also desires to see a different look for that top line.

And the Cap gymnastics? I'm more curious about those than I am anything else.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

This has Caron written all over it:sarcasm:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Imagine what iggy would feel like if Boston goes on to win the cup next season...

Meh, only one team can win, look at Marian Hossa, traded to the Pens a few years back (probably thought he had a great chance to win er), then chose the Wings as his next opportunity, then finally the Hawks where it`s worked out well

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
No, I know. Its just a damned if you do and damned if you dont situation. I hate that.

What the Cap does go up to next year is critical.

I don't disagree but I think a lot of people forget that the cap goes up for 29 other teams as well. It helps, sure, but it's not this golden goose only presented to Boston

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins await Jarome Iginla’s decision

Now the Bruins wait.

At noon on Tuesday, the chats that Don Meehan, Jarome Iginla’s agent, has had with his client’s suitors will turn into hardcore negotiations. From those dealings, Iginla could receive a two- or three-year offer that is guaranteed to trump the one-year extension the Bruins prefer.

At that point, Iginla will have a decision. He will return to Boston on a one-year, bonus-heavy contract to chase the Stanley Cup that’s given him the slip since his NHL debut in 1996, or the right wing will elect the security of a multiyear contract — with a team less powerful than the Bruins, most likely — and join his fourth organization in just over 15 months.

This is business.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...la-decision/JEw48mq1bSOACsgOTSHwbO/story.html

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Bruins await Jarome Iginla’s decision

Now the Bruins wait.

At noon on Tuesday, the chats that Don Meehan, Jarome Iginla’s agent, has had with his client’s suitors will turn into hardcore negotiations. From those dealings, Iginla could receive a two- or three-year offer that is guaranteed to trump the one-year extension the Bruins prefer.

At that point, Iginla will have a decision. He will return to Boston on a one-year, bonus-heavy contract to chase the Stanley Cup that’s given him the slip since his NHL debut in 1996, or the right wing will elect the security of a multiyear contract — with a team less powerful than the Bruins, most likely — and join his fourth organization in just over 15 months.

This is business.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...la-decision/JEw48mq1bSOACsgOTSHwbO/story.html

"The security of a 3 year contract" is laughable. Financial security? We should all be so insecure. Team security? Great,if you're winning and you're happy. Otherwise you sold out,literally,to pad an already ridiculous bank account.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Looks like the Avalanche are going to make a pitch to Iggy. Of all the teams mentioned so far to have interest in him this is the one I can see him going to. Avs are good and only going to get better.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9
Barring a last minute Hail Mary the @NHLBruins will say goodbye to Jarome Iginla as he signs with another club today. #capcrunch

acr*

Let him walk. I think Iginla is showing his ass a bit here. He knows what the Bruins' situation is and has for months. If he wants more money/more years, than just say so and move on. What a drama queen.

If I'm Chiarelli, I would give him until about 11:00 am and then I would tell him that he won't re-signed and Boston is looking at other options.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Let him walk. I think Iginla is showing his ass a bit here. He knows what the Bruins' situation is and has for months. If he wants more money/more years, than just say so and move on. What a drama queen.

If I'm Chiarelli, I would give him until about 11:00 am and then I would tell him that he won't re-signed and Boston is looking at other options.

I don't think that's entirely true. The options were likely dependent on the cap. With the decision being made for the lower end of the cap it pretty much left Chiarelli with no flexibility for what he could offer Iginla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad