If Yugoslavia still existed....what would the national team look like today?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Christiansen is easily the best Scandinavian CB...like it’s not even close. Vestegaard is probably the second best Scandinavian CB, although Mou ruining Lindelof is part of that.

I rate Granqvist over Vestergaard.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Christiansen is easily the best Scandinavian CB...like it’s not even close. Vestegaard is probably the second best Scandinavian CB, although Mou ruining Lindelof is part of that.

I agree, even as a Swede I wouldn't include any Swedish d-men in a Scandinavian team. Never liked Lustig and both Granqvist and Lindelöf are quite overrated. Augustinsson is interesting though and I believe Wendt could be a good choice as well on the left side.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I agree, even as a Swede I wouldn't include any Swedish d-men in a Scandinavian team. Never liked Lustig and both Granqvist and Lindelöf are quite overrated. Augustinsson is interesting though and I believe Wendt could be a good choice as well on the left side.
Lustig is solid. Nothing fancy, but he does his job and he does it rather well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I rate Augustinsson very highly as Werder is one the BuLi teams I make an effort to watch because I respect their ethos & style; and he is a very solid LB, like Wendt used to be...only stronger defensively. Unfortunately age has started costing Wendt stamina & durability.

...although given transfers this summer I’m gunna be rooting for Poulsen to surpass him and become the best Scandinavian LB :laugh:

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Awesome. Same with Czechoslovakia.

That’s my personal pet-former-NT. Schick & Skriniar with a half dozen excellent midfielders? It’s like a NT made for me! Throw in a good keeper in Pavlenka, an excellent RWB in Kaderabek, and you’ve got the ingredients for a wonderful 3-6-1 or 4-3-2-1.

Schick
Hamsik - Barak
Jankto/Zmrhal* - Lobotka - Darida/Jankto - Kaderabek
Kalas - Skriniar - Pekarik
Pavlenka

Krmencik, Vydra; Mak, Krecji*, Duda; Darida/Zmrhal, Benes, Hrosovsky; Suchy, Pokorny, Novak; Koubek
----------------------------
Schick
Hamsik - Barak
Jankto - Darida - Lobotka
Zmrhal - Skriniar - Kalas - Kaderabek
Pavlenka

Krmencik, Vydra; Mak, Krecji, Duda; Benes, Hrosovsky; Suchy, Pokorny, Pekarik, Novak; Koubek​

Reactions: Legionnaire

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Granqvist is very very good for a team defending deep. It depends how you set up your team. A given starter for a team focusing on counter attacks for me. If the plan is for guys like Eriksen and Forsberg to dominate possession I would drop Granqvist.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
will be only austrian players. the state of hungarian soccer is very dark right now.
Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, parts of northern Italy, northwestern Serbia, Hungary, Czech Rep, Slovakia, parts of Poland, Romania and Ukraine all were a part of Austro-Hungary.

As for ex-Yu, they'd look great on paper, shit on the pitch when the going gets tough as always.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Plus the Hungarians legit have a super talent again in the late-2000 born midfielder, Dominik Szoboszlai. So pretty soon they’ll have their own Hamsik or SMS if he doesn’t stagnate...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad