If you're Connor McDavid, how long do you give the Oilers?

How long do you give the Oilers, if you were McDavid, before requesting a trade?

• End of 2019-20 Season

• End of 2020-21 Season

• End of 2025-26 Season (End of Contract)

• Anywhere from 3 to 6 more years

• Don't Request a Trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Wait your contract out. He’s drafted to lead a team to cups. Lemieux did. Orr did. Crosby did. Gretzky did. Mcdavid will eventually or he’s not the player he’s said to be

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
End of his contract he's going to be 29/30 and most likely way past his peak. People saying "give it time" are crazy, the Oilers were a joke long before McDavid arrived and there's nothing to suggest that anything is going to change with the circus they have going on. McDavid is a generational player who is going to be labeled a loser because he wasted his career there. He's been there 4 seasons and they seem to get worse every season. Ask for a trade at the end of this season.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I would give them two more seasons. He was drafted in 2015. If you can't put a team around him by 2021, that's pathetic and such a colossal waste of a generational talent.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
McD is not going anywhere. He signed for 8 years and he is stuck with the Oilers. He is paid to much to hold out and he would only hurt his brand if he did. McD is a Oiler until the contract ends or the Oilers trade him.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
End of 25-26 season because i don't have a choice.

I guess i could always start a crazy carousel with trade requests and all that but why bother. The Oilers can only go up from here. And i want to prove the fans in Edmonton wrong. If the Oilers still suck when my contract is up i walk in FA when im 29.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
If I am Connor McDavid, I would never ask for a trade. I would have passion for the team that drafted me, made me their captain, their franchise player, and invest 100 million dollars in me, and have the confidence in myself that I can help improve this team and win a Stanley Cup one day.

What he does when his contract runs out is a different story though, but I wouldn't ask for a trade. As awful as Oilers management is, even if by pure luck or fluke they will eventually give McDavid a team he can likely take somewhere.
When there's 30 other teams that will do this. What makes you (the oilers) so special?

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
When there's 30 other teams that will do this. What makes you (the oilers) so special?
The question is if I am McDavid, so I am not the Oilers. I never said the Oilers were special. Insert any team name and that is what I would do if I was McDavid.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Not trying to hurt Oilers fans, but I think as late as 2020-21. I don't know what's wrong with this team, but it just screams giant black hole to me that'll take forever to fix.

Calling it right now, McDavid gets traded to Tampa Bay in 2021. Would say Winnipeg as that is also likely, but I think Tampa Bay has the highest potential to acquire him out of every NHL team.

Mar 26, 2010
Demand a trade right now. The Oilers are going no where.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I would never ask for a trade, I would want to be the guy to take this trash Oilers team out of the basement.

The only place I'm asking for a trade from is Toronto.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
End of his contract he's going to be 29/30 and most likely way past his peak. People saying "give it time" are crazy, the Oilers were a joke long before McDavid arrived and there's nothing to suggest that anything is going to change with the circus they have going on. McDavid is a generational player who is going to be labeled a loser because he wasted his career there. He's been there 4 seasons and they seem to get worse every season. Ask for a trade at the end of this season.

Yeah but theyre also paying him 100 Million Dollars....

I think he remains loyal to them and should for his contract.

Obviously when UFA hits if he's unhappy he can leave but i dont think it'd be right to do so before.

Lemieux toughed it out with some horrible pens teams. Crosbys team was last when he came in. So long as the organization treats him well personally and pays him i think he should remain loyal and honor his contract and i expect him to do so.

If the environment becomes toxic enough that the coach or gm starts treating him like crap personally- maybe then he demands a trade. Cant see that happening though

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
if i'm Edmonton it doesn't matter

even if McDavid requests a trade tomorrow I keep him anyways he's just too good to trade away

hell the Lightning waited 2 years to trade Drouin after he asked for a trade and even then only because Montreal offered Sergachev and McDavid is 10 times the player he is

you call his bluff and keep him,he's signed for 7 more years after this season what's he gonna do sit out?

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
End of his contract. The Oilers have invested a lot into the guy, the least he can do is honor that.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He's more likely to become the LeBron player/GM type player than he is to be traded.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Wait your contract out. He’s drafted to lead a team to cups. Lemieux did. Orr did. Crosby did. Gretzky did. Mcdavid will eventually or he’s not the player he’s said to be
Gretzky wasn't drafted.

Lemieux won his cups with guys like Ron Francis and Jaromir Jagr in a non-cap era. Crosby went to a team that won a draft lottery to get him, the year after Pittsburgh drafted 2nd OA and got Malkin. I'd love to see where Pittsburgh would have been with one of the other first round centers in Malkin's draft like Kyle Chipchura, Rob Shremp, or high 2nd rounder Dave Bolland instead. Won't comment on Orr, he was far beyond my time and scope of knowledge, but from what I've heard he was the Gretzky of defensemen. Essentially, you've got far too many things working against McDavid in his current scenario. The team is up against the salary cap, with too much dead weight and no coaching change is going to fix that. McDavid's best teammate is Draisaitl, and while he's not a bad player, it's a far cry from having multiple future HOF talents playing around you. Crosby's had the benefit of a true top 5 center league-wide behind him his entire career and is probably the closest and most apt comparison for McDavid, but you replace Malkin with some average 2C like Kadri and they aren't winning no 3 cups. Give McDavid some credit, he's a great player stuck in a bad situation with seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel. Aside from the fact that he signed a contract and the ownership/gm have no obligation to trade him, why would he want to stay in Edmonton given its current state? Why wouldn't he want to play for a team capable of competing for the Stanley Cup in his prime?

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I don’t think he’ll demand a trade so I voted at the end of his contract.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
McDavid needs to be patient. Remember rebuilds take time and the Oilers are only in year 12 of their rebuild.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Mar 26, 2010
McDavid is only going to take so much... after this season he is going to request a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00