If you're Connor McDavid, how long do you give the Oilers?

How long do you give the Oilers, if you were McDavid, before requesting a trade?

• End of 2019-20 Season

• End of 2020-21 Season

• End of 2025-26 Season (End of Contract)

• Anywhere from 3 to 6 more years

• Don't Request a Trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Until the end of my contract or I am traded, whichever happens first?

So I guess that falls under wouldn't request a trade, and just let things happen naturally?

I should have added an option for that.

Conor McDavitt

Oct 17, 2017
If I am Connor McDavid, I would never ask for a trade. I would have passion for the team that drafted me, made me their captain, their franchise player, and invest 100 million dollars in me, and have the confidence in myself that I can help improve this team and win a Stanley Cup one day.

What he does when his contract runs out is a different story though, but I wouldn't ask for a trade. As awful as Oilers management is, even if by pure luck or fluke they will eventually give McDavid a team he can likely take somewhere.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
McDavid was drafted to turn the franchise around requesting a trade would be admitting that he failed . He can ask but ownership doesn't need to accept his request to be traded.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Resigning for 8 seasons is looking like a mistake now. McDavid was drafted to turn the franchise around requesting a trade would be admitting that he failed . He can ask but ownership doesn't need to accept his request to be traded.

Not really, he's done way more than enough. The teams lack of success isn't on him, but on management. Look at his surrounding cast, outside of a handful of guys he's been playing with garbage his entire career.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
McDavid was drafted to turn the franchise around requesting a trade would be admitting that he failed . He can ask but ownership doesn't need to accept his request to be traded.

It's hockey, not basketball. One player can't carry a franchise alone, not even Hasek could lift the Cup until he went to Detroit.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Not really, he's done way more than enough. The teams lack of success isn't on him, but on management. Look at his surrounding cast, outside of a handful of guys he's been playing with garbage his entire career.
Lemieux waited 7 years before the Pittsburgh Penguins became a competitive team . If Lemieux would have given up and ask for a trade when they weren't good he would have been considered a quitter and not a leader by the media .

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
It's hockey, not basketball. One player can't carry a franchise alone, not even Hasek could lift the Cup until he went to Detroit.
McDavid has 7+ years remaining with the Edmonton Oilers If he is traded it'll be when he only has one year remaining on his contract.

Last edited:

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
That's the price of being called generational get it done and win or its a failure .

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think if there are zero signs of optimism after another season. with a new coach a new GM, he’s probably going to seriously look to finding a way out.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he's for sure going to honor his contract. he wouldn't have signed it if he didn't want to commit to the Oilers for that amount of term. After that, who knows?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Lemieux waited 7 years before the Pittsburgh Penguins became a competitive team . If Lemieux would have given up and ask for a trade when they weren't good he would have been considered a quitter and not a leader by the media .
7 years? They were bad for 4 years. They made the playoffs in 1988-89, missed by one point in 89-90 (Lemieux only played 59 games and had back issues when he did play), and won the cup in 90-91.

And part of that was the crazy division imbalance. For example in 87-88 Pittsburgh missed the playoffs with 81 points - but Toronto (52 points), LA (68 points), Chicago (69 points), St. Louis (76 points), and Winnipeg (77 points) all made the playoffs.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
What will he want to do? No idea
What should he do? Honor his contract, or retire.
Of course, I’m sure the oilers organization made promises when they signed him that they need to honor as well.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
7 years? They were bad for 4 years. They made the playoffs in 1988-89, missed by one point in 89-90 (Lemieux only played 59 games and had back issues when he did play), and won the cup in 90-91.

And part of that was the crazy division imbalance. For example in 87-88 Pittsburgh missed the playoffs with 81 points - but Toronto (52 points), LA (68 points), Chicago (69 points), St. Louis (76 points), and Winnipeg (77 points) all made the playoffs.
Meant it took 7 years to win the Stanley Cup and until then he wasn't considered to be a leader by some in the media . Pittsburgh were not a good team until 1990 -1991 season Lemieux's 7th season.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I think he plays out his contract without much of a public fuss. He can pretty much choose his destination afterwards and probably every team(unless there is a reigning dynasty) will make moves to accommodate his addition.
He will of course be demonized on HF but outside of a minority of posters the rest of the world couldn't care less about the opinions here.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Lol but Ok be honest how long did you look for a gif of someone crying into money?

Took me 3 seconds to google and copy.

crying-money-woody-harrelson-zombieland.gif

Reactions: POVERTY and drs151

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He signed for 8 years, he should give them 8 years. He bought what those incompetent idiots were selling. If he didn't want to be part of their side show he should have pulled a Lindros at the draft or refused to re-sign. He took their money for long-term security. They would still be on the hook if he tore his knee (although his contract is likely partially insured) or disappeared as a productive player.

We don't want the NHL becoming the NBA.

As soon as Katz asked him to do that weird-ass introduction at the draft, he should have said I ain't signing my ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->