If you're Connor McDavid, how long do you give the Oilers?

How long do you give the Oilers, if you were McDavid, before requesting a trade?

• End of 2019-20 Season

• End of 2020-21 Season

• End of 2025-26 Season (End of Contract)

• Anywhere from 3 to 6 more years

• Don't Request a Trade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
If he publicly says he wants out of the organization, it would only create a media circus if they kept him, and its not as if they wont get an absolute haul for him [and honestly would probably be more competitive without him if they got several talented pieces for depth].
Lets take Toronto for example who are you expecting in return for McDavid ? Especially when Toronto management know the Oilers are being forced to make a trade if McDavid makes it public like you say.

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Yes, and checking (this time) their seasons between those cups, 3 first round exits and second round exit and a conference finals. The sharks get a tonne of heat for similar playoff outings because they have also been considered a good team for years.

This site loves the playoffs, even if your team gets dumped in the first round, fans love to hold it over each other. I get that there is parity but can you really tell me that those are great showings for an "elite" team. I know Crosby had injury issues.

Yes my fault, I had it in my head they missed in 2014-15 and should have checked. What does Lemieux have to do it with it, Malkin was a standard pick. How is it light years ahead? The thread is about McDavid not making the playoffs and requesting a trade. Not about the team winning division titles. Bottom line is that they made the playoffs and then fizzled out. As a Caps fan, you should know how much people make fun of you for winning in the regular season and then vanishing

Also @Luigi Lemieux there really is no great comparables. I went with ceosby (acknowledging the team situation was different to a degree) because he was also the face of the league. I could being up clayton keller or Barkov but the fact is, they arent skill/pressure comparables and those franchises have no expectations. What do you think is a good comparable? 99% of the league doesnt compare....

Right... And your bolded comparison isnt a false equivalency? McDavid already got paid and messier had already won four cups, more than Crosby in my scenario. Messier was not the face of the league, the face of the league was traded by the Oilers a few years before that because of money issues - go figure....

But you're chastising me about false equivalencies and claiming my comment borders on ridiculous? Grade-A hypocrisy.

Take care.
I admit the pens were disappointments from 2010-15, but that's because people had extremely high standards and expectations for them. They were cup finalists and winners in 08 and 09 and were the best regular season team in the league from 10-15.

That's completely different than the oilers being at the bottom year after year. Mcdavid looks visibly dejected. I don't think there is a good comparison in today's nhl. Lemieux maybe but by year 5 things were looking up and they had Coffey on the team and were not far off from winning a cup.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I wonder if NHL stars will try and copy what’s going on in other major leagues.

Anthony Davis forced his way off of his team to try and win. Maybe McDavid will somehow do the same. Imagine McJesus in Nashville or Boston.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He gave them a discount to build a contender and they used that money to sign a broken Lucic.

Yeah I'd get out if there as fast as possible. The lineup is horribly flawed with no cap space or any significant prospects as a light at the end of the tunnel.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I said until the end of his contract. Give Edmonton advanced notice so they can trade him for top value.

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
I think this thread is a little ridiculous. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think that the best athletes should have the competitive drive and determination to win, to build around their ability and persevere. If he plays out his contract and decides to test free agency, that's his prerogative, but the idea of requesting a trade is silly and would cost him no small level of respect and in my opinion negatively impact his legacy. How many years did Mario Lemieux play on terrible Penguin teams before becoming a playoff regular? Connor McDavid is only 22 years old.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Highly doubt he will be traded until at least another 5-6 seasons no matter what happens. A year or two before his contract expires is when it will eventually happen imo if he says he isnt re-signing with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->