If your goal is to make a playoff run next yr (w/o ruining our future).. what do you do?

blueadams

May 30, 2011
GOAL:
-In net we've got our guy in Ned. Top-5'ish level NHL goaltender.
-Need a backup of some sort. FA most likely. Any ideas?

D:
-Fk it. Play Mo and Edvinsson together. They'll be a top-5-10 NHL pair by the playoffs.
-Johansson-Lindstrom I actually think could be a pretty great pair. Young puck mover w/ the steady responsible defender.
-??? and Hronek. I don't think any LH on our roster is good enough to survive a Hronek pairing. Maybe you can find a vet on a 1 or 2 yr deal. Any ideas?

Centers.
-Larkin is one top-six center.
-Suter is a fine 3rd line center.
-Any idea on who we can sign to be a 2nd line C? Hopefully a vet on a short-term deal who won't impede our future.

Wings:
-Raymond, Vrana, Bert gives you 3 great top-six wings out of the gate. I personally think Soderblom gives you 4.
-Fabbri, Berggren.. maybe that's an okay 3rd line.

4th Line:
-Ras centering Veleno and Zadina...or Erne and Smith..or Veleno centering. Seems like a fine-enough garbage/last chance line to me

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
GOAL:

D:
-Fk it. Play Mo and Edvinsson together. They'll be a top-5-10 NHL pair by the playoffs.
-Johansson-Lindstrom I actually think could be a pretty great pair. Young puck mover w/ the steady responsible defender.
-??? and Hronek. I don't think any LH on our roster is good enough to survive a Hronek pairing. Maybe you can find a vet on a 1 or 2 yr deal. Any ideas?

Centers.
-Any idea on who we can sign to be a 2nd line C? Hopefully a vet on a short-term deal who won't impede our future.

Wings:
-Raymond, Vrana, Bert gives you 3 great top-six wings out of the gate. I personally think Soderblom gives you 4.

4th Line:
-Ras centering Veleno and Zadina...or Erne and Smith..or Veleno centering. Seems like a fine-enough garbage/last chance line to me

I want Edvinsson developing with someone other than Seider. Let's not put all our eggs in the twin towers year one.

Johansson-Lindstrom would be one of the more underwhelming pairings I've ever seen in my life. Lindstrom is "good" in that he's virtually absent. You're asking a f***ing lot to have Albert Johansson step in and carry a pairing.

I know you hate Hronek and I don't really understand it. He's our second best D-man right now. He's a whole lot better than Lindstrom.

I don't have anywhere near the faith you do in any of the prospects you've listed other than Edvinsson. Soderblom is going to be the new age Rasmussen or Mitch Callahan or *insert big forward that people think should be good, but is underwhelming and then within half a year we want him launched into the sun*

But my solution?

Raymond-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Fabbri-UFA (Kadri-type?)-Vrana
Zadina-Suter-Rasmussen
Erne-Veleno-someone (Soderblom or Smith?)

UFA (Lindholm?)-Seider
Edvinsson-Hronek
Oesterle/Staal/Leddy?-Lindstrom

Nedeljkovic
UFA goalie (dunno who is available, but a Greiss level guy)

Some things that could shake this up include Yzerman getting feisty and swinging a deal for a C with some assets or a surprising D swap. I know for a fact they're not going to just swap in 4+ rookies for S's and G's and that Filip Hronek is going to play a major part of whatever success Detroit may have.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
A big if, but if Hertl makes it to UFA a Larkin-Hertl 1-2 punch at C is big. Also, end the Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno experiments and admit the latter years of Holland had some horrible drafting

Reactions: blueadams

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think what Steve meant, now years ago, when he talked about a long-term rebuild was turning the team around primarily through the draft. And I agree with him on long-term rebuild. So, I wouldn't get real happy on big free-agents yet.

But I also think the team is close to a full turn-around. They are so close to being a +500 team this season. So, if they are lucky with health and have Vrana back, if Edvinsson earns a spot or earns a call up (almost hard not to with the way our defense is), just making some basic moves in the off season should get us closer, at least 14-16th in the lottery and that's almost like a worst-case scenario (but based on the team staying healthy).

If a tremendous deal comes along for someone you want long-term, then you have to weigh it, but at the moment they don't have the goal tending to be much more competitive and with Ned signed on for a little while and Cossa still coming up, you probably aren't going to do a real long-term deal for another goalie and that might take you out of the market for the goalies who would fit the concept of trying to do a playoff run next year. Instead, you probably end up signing an aging veteran goalie for the now.

Last edited:
Reactions: blueadams

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
GOAL:

D:

Centers.

Wings:

4th Line:

That is a terrible idea on defence. Two rookies in the top 4 if your goal is to be a playoff team?

I you want to be better without blowing the future, attempt to add Lindholm and maybe Zadorov on the blueline and sign Trocheck or similar player to improve our depth up front. Get rid of Erne before next season, not bring back Staal, Dekeyser (he shouldn't, but until it is official the fear is there), and bring in a vet backup that isn't 36 years old.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
A big if, but if Hertl makes it to UFA a Larkin-Hertl 1-2 punch at C is big. Also, end the Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno experiments and admit the latter years of Holland had some horrible drafting

Hertl is going to get a bloated UFA contract in my opinion that he won't live up to.

Reactions: MabusIncarnate

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Malkin 2 x $10M
Letang 2 x $8M
MAF 1 x $7.5M
re-sign Staal, Namestnikov
Also need a cheap LHD
Edvinsson plays

Contracts expire when Raymond and Seider's ELCs end so it doesn't put the Wings in salary cap hell. MAF only gets one year because Bert and Larkin need new contracts. Each player gets a slight raise despite their age to convince them to come over. Yes, I realize it's overpayment for them.

Gone:
- Leddy $5.5M
- DDK $5M
- Greiss $3.6M
- Nielsen's buyout is lower by $3.75M

Hronek gets traded for LHD or will have to play his offside

Bert - Larkin - Raymond
Berggren - Malkin - Vrana
Fabbri - Suter - Namestnikov
Raz - Joey - Erne/Smith

Edvinsson - Letang
Hronek/UFA - Seider
Staal - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Probably first round fodder until the team gets better LHD, but I think that takes the team to the playoffs.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Malkin 2 x $10M
Letang 2 x $8M
MAF 1 x $7.5M
re-sign Staal, Namestnikov
Also need a cheap LHD
Edvinsson plays

Contracts expire when Raymond and Seider's ELCs end so it doesn't put the Wings in salary cap hell. MAF only gets one year because Bert and Larkin need new contracts. Each player gets a slight raise despite their age to convince them to come over. Yes, I realize it's overpayment for them.

Gone:
- Leddy $5.5M
- DDK $5M
- Greiss $3.6M
- Nielsen's buyout is lower by $3.75M

Hronek gets traded for LHD or will have to play his offside

Bert - Larkin - Raymond
Berggren - Malkin - Vrana
Fabbri - Suter - Namestnikov
Raz - Joey - Erne/Smith

Edvinsson - Letang
Hronek/UFA - Seider
Staal - Lindstrom
Oesterle

Probably first round fodder until the team gets better LHD, but I think that takes the team to the playoffs.

Why would Seider get demoted to 2nd pair, while Edvinsson gets 1st pair treatment? I play Seider everyday on first pair over Letang. Letang is really good, but I think Seider is a better all around blueliner than Letang.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Did you see Andreas Lilja and Brett Lebda?

They were never a pair that played 2nd pairing or higher though. Both of them played limited minutes and anytime they got higher they had far better partners than Lindstrom and Johansson.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Why would Seider get demoted to 2nd pair, while Edvinsson gets 1st pair treatment? I play Seider everyday on first pair over Letang. Letang is really good, but I think Seider is a better all around blueliner than Letang.
1) It's not gonna happen anyways
2) Don't read too much into the order
3) Letang would get PP1 time, which is the only reason why he got listed on top. Seider would probably get more ice time if Stevie actually did something this crazy. As old as Letang is, he's still better offensively.

Reactions: Oddbob

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
He's never seen Johansson/Lindstrom play together so whats the point in even taking that statement seriously?

Dream off-season:
38 million.

Fire Jeff Blashill and hire Paul Maurice.

Sign C Tomas Hertil(8x5)/LHD Hampus Lindholm(7.5x5)/ RW Filip Forsberg(7x5). ( 22.5 Million. )

Resign F Vladislav Namestikov(2x2) LHD Marc Staal(1x1.5). (3.5 Million.)

Roster: 22 – 23 Red Wings hire Paul Maurice as HC.

Tyler Bertuzzi – (C) Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
Jakub Vrana – (A) Tomas HertlFilip Forsberg
Robbie Fabbri – Pius Suter – Jonatan Berggren
Vladislav Namestikov
– Michael Rasmussen – Filip Zadina

* Joe Veleno, F
* Adam Erne, F

Hampus Lindholm
– Moritz Seider
Simon EdvissonGustav Lindstrom
(A) Marc Staal – Filip Hronek

* Jordan Oesterle, LHD

Alex Nedeljkovic
Joren van Pottelberghe

Truth is though... an offseason like this one might cost the team resigning Bertuzzi. Not a total truth... but resigning all of himself, Larkin, Raymond, Seider in the near future would be hard.

That's a playoff team to me, if back-up goalie gets weird, moves can be made. Also, any TDL move this year(21-22), I'd be accruing picks for the 2023 season and beyond. I actually don't see a ton more selling at future TDL's unless injuries/issues rise up. Teams clearly ready to "step up". We'll see how much this off-season though.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
How disappointed will this forum be if Hampus Lindholm isn't a Red Wings next year? I haven't seen too many regular posters... NOT suggest Red Wings sign him... lol. If this forum was trying to manifest someone as a Red Wings. Well. I think we're writing the playbook.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

ok… well you can get away with that when your top two pairings are

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart

so let me clarify that would be one of the most underwhelming and garbage pairings that you actually ask to do anything

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
ok… well you can get away with that when your top two pairings are

Lidstrom-Rafalski
Kronwall-Stuart

so let me clarify that would be one of the most underwhelming and garbage pairings that you actually ask to do anything

Based off your vast knowledge of never watching them play together... lol. Love it.

I'm not saying they'll be good bad or any other which way together but Johansson looks good. So... Idk. Say whatever makes you feel good I guess but it surely has no real substance and is a complete opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad