Proposal: If you were the GM...trade deadline day.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Please do not combine this with the Trade Proposal thread at least for a day or two.

If you were the GM of the Habs what direction would you head in going into the trade deadline.

Their are lots of upcoming UFAs in:
Gionta, Parros, Markov, Bouillion, Murray and Diaz.

Smaller forwards in:
Gionta, Briere and Desharnais.

Plus Bourque who looks to be on his way out of town as well.

The Title should include the best moves that I still keep my job, GM. The actual moves would be easy if the business or financial concerns did not come before the team concerns. Bergevin knows precisely what needs to be done and is doing it as quickly as constraints allow him from where I am watching, my coach.:laugh:
What would you look to do?

-Would you look to trade those upcoming UFAs away for picks/prospects to make sure that we get something for them before they walk away?
-Would you try to add size and toughness to the team?
-Would you trade anyone else not listed?
-Would you look to trade picks/prospects and make a run for it now?
-Fire the coach?
-Other ideas?

Keep in mind that there are only 30 games left in the season and we are only six points away from tops in the division. Plus we have a three point cushion from the top team not in the playoffs. So technically we are right in the thick of things.

What would you do?

If I could make changes, they would be radical changes, ones that concern our fans here each and every game on the GDT. The first would involve moving the Hamilton franchise closer, like Laval, maybe in 2016 that step will be taken!

As is Rick Dudley is great finding the Habs free agents that will make the team better.
Timmins and the Scouts are the Premier talent evaluating team in the NHL-World.
They could find the best route to becoming SC team, without the contractual restraints imposed by the NHL & Salary Caps, faster than any other team.

Moving players is not that easy with those things in mind, it certainly would be nice to trade away the players that are past their prime yrs. for draft choices or prospects. The problem is 29 teams are either trying to win the SC this season, make the playoffs for extra monies, or getting the draft picks & young prospects.

The Oilers having a monopoly on top draft picks the last decade has increased the difficulties of honest franchises that try each season, like the Habs.

That said, I would move Markov, Bourque, Desharnais, Briere, Murray, Boullion, Gionta and Parros. All for prospects or draft choices, and load the system with the competitors necessary to build a future powerhouse. Then bring up prospects and ensure they get icetime with our core group in the best circumstances, similar to the pattern set by Chicago and LA. Look through their respective depth charts and it will be apparent what steps are needed to bring the Habs back to an Elite level once again.:nod:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Fire Therrien, keep Gallant and Daigneault.
Hire Boucher.
Trade Bourque to the Panthers for Kopecky.
Trade Diaz + 4th round pick for Grabner.
Call up Pateryn.
Make a push for Matt Greene and Ryan Callahan in the off-season. (16 millions for 4 years for Greene and 27.5 million for 5 years for Callahan). If Callahan re-signs with the Rangers, offer Kulemin a contract 3 years at 3.25 AAV.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Fire Therrien, keep Gallant and Daigneault.
Hire Boucher.
Trade Bourque to the Panthers for Kopecky.
Trade Diaz + 4th round pick for Grabner.
Call up Pateryn.
Make a push for Matt Greene and Ryan Callahan in the off-season. (16 millions for 4 years for Greene and 27.5 million for 5 years for Callahan). If Callahan re-signs with the Rangers, offer Kulemin a contract 3 years at 3.25 AAV.

Good start.

Trade Briere for anything - maybe to Nashville with a pick for Stalberg
Trade DD in a package with possibly Collberg, Leblanc plus to get Kulikov
Trade Markov and Gorges to get some size up front.
Trade Gionta for Despres

They need to target O'Reilly and Colorado need defence. I would try to trade Bourque for Clifford as we will need some help for Prust next year. Parros will not be back.

Halifaxhab*

Trade
Bouillion for a pick
Murray for a pick
Bourque for anything
Plekanec for Stewart+Berglund

Callup
Pateryn

Try to resign
Markov 3yr 5.75M. If he wants too much or longer, trade him
Diaz for 2yr 2.,25M If he wants too much or longer, trade him

If MT cannot regain the room, fire him and replace him with the best coach I can find.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Regardless of where the team is in the standings, trade Diaz and Murray for futures. Getting a couple of 2nd rounders or B prospects out of those two should be attainable at the TD. Even if he team is still in the playoff hunt the Habs are better off with a rotation of Bouillon/Tinordi/Pateryn/Beaulieu in the bottom pairing anyway.

Depending on where the team sits at the time they can then parlay some of those assets into a useful forward for the playoffs or they can use them to hopefully move up at the draft.

The more I watch Markov the more I am of the mind that he has to be dealt, preferably a prospect close to ready but a 1st+ would be OK too.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Fire coaching staff.
Move Markov and Pleks to highest bidders. Move others already talked about on this board.
Hire the best coaches available.
Change is needed as what's been going on is not working.

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
Id sell and no it has nothing to do with the recent performances, but we need to move all those ****** "veteran leaders"

We need to build a good defensive corpse and build around Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pleky, Eller upfront

NateTheGr8

Aug 17, 2012
Canada
Plekanec and Gionta to STL for Tarasenko, Ian Cole, 4th
Desharnais,Gorges to DAL for Oleksiak, 3rd
Price, Bourque to ANA for Silfverberg, John Gibson, Fasth,1st
Briere, Diaz, 1st, Collberg to NJ for Adam Larsson
Trade Murray,Bou dirt cheap

Just for fun don't rage

Pacc-Galch-Gallagher
Silfverberg-Eller-Tarasenko
Bournival-Leblanc-CThomas
Moen-White-Prust

Beaulieu-Subban
Emelin-Larsson
Cole-Pateryn
Oleksiak/Tinordi

Fasth
Budaj

(Gibson and Fucale as prospects)

Fire Therrien, Hire best coach available

No I didn't search up salaries

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
That said, I would move Markov, Bourque, Desharnais, Briere, Murray, Boullion, Gionta and Parros. All for prospects or draft choices, and load the system with the competitors necessary to build a future powerhouse. Then bring up prospects and ensure they get icetime with our core group in the best circumstances, similar to the pattern set by Chicago and LA. Look through their respective depth charts and it will be apparent what steps are needed to bring the Habs back to an Elite level once again.:nod:

I agree with you regarding moving the above names. To sweeten the pot, I would offer up our small but talented forwards in the prospect pool.

I would bring Timmins into my office and tell him that the directive is to draft NO ONE under 6 feet tall and NO ONE who does not project to be smaller than 200 lbs.

There are countless number of NHL players who are fast and skilled and not undersized. Gone are the days of drafting the best talent available who is never going to reach the average size NHL player.

This is a man's game. Sure, we get rid of DD but we replace him with Reway? Who are we trying to kid with this? Gionta for Hudon, Thomas, Andrighetto? We are replacing an older problem with a younger problem.

The culture of small has to end and this is a damned good season to start.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I agree with you regarding moving the above names. To sweeten the pot, I would offer up our small but talented forwards in the prospect pool.

I would bring Timmins into my office and tell him that the directive is to draft NO ONE under 6 feet tall and NO ONE who does not project to be smaller than 200 lbs.

There are countless number of NHL players who are fast and skilled and not undersized. Gone are the days of drafting the best talent available who is never going to reach the average size NHL player.

This is a man's game. Sure, we get rid of DD but we replace him with Reway? Who are we trying to kid with this? Gionta for Hudon, Thomas, Andrighetto? We are replacing an older problem with a younger problem.

The culture of small has to end and this is a damned good season to start.

Now that's ridiculous, come on. Just look at the best player's in the league. I guess we shouldn't have picked Giroux in your mind.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Most of the proposals are just ridiculous, as usual.

Could you guys suggest something else than trading everybody above 28 for picks and prospects?

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Fire MT

Trade Boullion, Diaz, Murray, Briere, DD, Gionta, Moen, Parros, Bourque, and Markov. Get picks or young players with decent size.

Monitor MB to see how he does with our RFAs and what he does with the UFAs in the summer. If he tries to sign an over the hill midget or a RFA to a stupid deal, he'll be looking for employment too.

I know this all very unlikely, but enough of this middle of the road crap. There are some very nice pieces in place, get rid of the deadwood and do a proper re-tool.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Fire MT

Trade Boullion, Diaz, Murray, Briere, DD, Gionta, Moen, Parros, Bourque, and Markov. Get picks or young players with decent size.

Monitor MB to see how he does with our RFAs and what he does with the UFAs in the summer. If he tries to sign an over the hill midget or a RFA to a stupid deal, he'll be looking for employment too.

I know this all very unlikely, but enough of this middle of the road crap. There are some very nice pieces in place, get rid of the deadwood and do a proper re-tool.

Amen brother! Or sister

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Fire MT

In order to trade :
Boullion, Diaz, Murray, Briere, DD, Gionta, Moen, Parros, Bourque, and Markov; you need to find a willing partner - good look with that except for Markov and maybe Diaz and Moen
As for picking up pieces of decent size, once again you need someone WILLING to give them to you

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
This thread gives delusional dreamers something to do. Lol.

Really the world is lining up for trash let's sell our trash.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
This thread gives delusional dreamers something to do. Lol.

Really the world is lining up for trash let's sell our trash.

What he said, basically. You can't trade dead wood without getting some other dead wood in return.

If it was so simple, any GM would do it.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
My targets would be Kulikov from Florida and Stastny from Colorado. Willing to part with Markov and Gorges. DD needs to be in the Stastny trade and why not...Roy might want to get him....Obvious Brière, Bourque, Gionta etc. would be available but who would want them unless Gionta becomes interesting for Colorado in their cup contending team....

But other pieces would need to be included from our end, mostly regarding prospects and picks. Only prospects I wouldn't touched would be Tinordi, Beaulieu, Grégoire and De la Rose. I wonder if Nygren's rights could be interesting for teams.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
Add Gallagher to the group of small players.

But the answer per se :

First, establish who's back next year and who's not. That question might have some of its answers in the current FA negociations (we can only speculate about this). If a player isn't back, hopefully must be gone by deadline.

Second, hopefully, they establish that Gionta isn't back.

Third : Shop Markov. Regardless of where we are in the standings. Accept the right offer. Only the right offer.

Fourth : Try to find takers for Briere

Fifth : I'm ambivalent regarding DD. Regardless of what we think, his production would be somewhat hard to replace, and if we intend to go with the scoring by committee route (which, according to me, we don't have much choice), I can't see anyone replacing his production (well, technically, Galchenyuk would, but then we'd have to replace Galchy's production... sortof). Same applies to a lesser extent with Eller. But just .. politely suggest to whoever coaches the team to try him at wing. THIS SAID, if a decent offer comes for him, well, accept it.

Sixth : I mentionned Gallagher... he's a guy a team like the Oilers (random example) could be interested in. Too bad their interesting young D's are all lefties. Sure, I wanna keep Gallagher, but if the offer is good...

Seventh : Bouillon, Murray --> Again, if there are offers...

Pretty much this.

I'd personnaly keep Gallagher ; I think his value is higher on this team than what he'd fetch on the trade market.

But yeah, assess who you want to keep for next yr amongst older players and UFAs and move from there :

Murray and Bouillon should not be back so where does that leave Diaz ? Since I'm an advocate of trading Markov, I might be inclined to retain him if the $ and term are reasonnable

I won't mount a detailed case-by-case analysis, but basically I want us to be selective sellers as we continue getting younger overall and can start to reshape the forward group who simply isn't good enough

Could you guys suggest something else than trading everybody above 28 for picks and prospects?

Hey brainiac, this is a thread about what to do about trade deadline : THAT IS what happens on deadline week ! Older players and expiring deals traded to buyers for picks and prospects ! Very few hockey deals happen. What else are we gonna suggest...:rant:

Last edited:

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
In order to trade :
Boullion, Diaz, Murray, Briere, DD, Gionta, Moen, Parros, Bourque, and Markov; you need to find a willing partner - good look with that except for Markov and maybe Diaz and Moen
As for picking up pieces of decent size, once again you need someone WILLING to give them to you

I know it won't be easy, if at all possible. My post was more of a dream scenario than anything else. I do believe that when some teams think they can make a push deep into the playoffs, they sometimes overpay for a player to add depth to their line-up. Murray went for two 2nd rounders last year, so maybe my dream might come partially true. :D

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I would go all out sell.

Trade guys like Gionta, Markov, Diaz, Bouillon, Murray etc. Even Plekanec but as he is not a pending UFA I'd look more at dealing him in the Summer.

During the off season we could target some guys I feel are underappreciated around the league. Why not trade for somebody like Nick Leddy? He is underused in Chicago due to their insane depth and would make a great top 4 dman for us.

We could target some free agents as well. Perhaps somebody like Pitkanen, Bolland, Jagr, and Stastny?

Depending on what we get for Pleks (I'd personally be looking for some higher end prospects as opposed to proven talent)

We could in theory ice a team like this next season

Pacioretty-Stastny-Gallagher
???-Galchenyuk-Jagr
???-Eller-Desharnais
Moen-Bolland-Prust
White

Subban-Pitkanen
Leddy-Emelin
Gorges-Tinordi
Beaulieu

These moves I don't think are entirely unrealistic and would leave us with a much better roster, plus a pretty good outlook to as we'd have surely picked up at least two additional first round picks from Plekanec and Markov. The added bonus with this would be that we'd be putting our young talent in positive situations. Galchenyuk would get to play center with a player I think would be a great linemate/mentor in Jagr, and Eller would finally have a more static role, although Desharnais on the wing is obviously not ideal.

On the blueline we'd have the best defence we've had in ages and while Tinordi and Beaulieu taking turns on the 3rd pairing depending on the team needs for any given game is not ideal for them, it would surely give them more NHL ice time than they currently get, and eventually Beaulieu would be able to take over Pitkanen's role on the team.

Probably a pipe dream, but I think that team could contend for a cup as it is deep and with the proper coaching could be very lethal, depending on how we will in the two forward gaps that is.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Sell for the future

Markov for Etem
Prust + Gionta for Despres
Eller for Savard & Jenner
Gorges for Chiasson
Briere, Bourque, Diaz, Murray for picks/prospects
Cube & Parros free to a good home

Jenner Plekanec Collberg
Pacioretty DD Chiasson
Etem Galchenyuk Gallagher
Moen Bournival Leblanc

Subban Despres
Emelin Beaulieu
Savard Tinordi
Pateryn

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I'd clean house on the veterans here. It's simply time for a lot of the leadership to go in Montreal and start the rebuild. That's what Bergevin was brought in to do, he said he would implement a 5 year plan, well than let's actually start it:

1 - Andrei Markov.

Trade Markov for a first rounder and a prospect to whatever team offers that deal. The sun has set on Andrei's time in Montreal... Thank you for the contributions, and best of luck with your new team winning the cup.

2 - Tomas Plekanec.

Yes Plekanec is our number one center and yes he wears a lot of hats for this team.... But he's also one of the few assets that will see you get something valuable back in return. Send him to the St Louis Blues for Chris Stewart and Patrik Berglund. They add size up the middle and on the wings, and allow Eller to return to his natural Center position. Habs will likely have to add a draft pick or prospect in this deal.

3- Brian Gionta.

Deal him at the deadline or let him walk via free agency. Either way his time is over in Montreal.

4- Daniel Briere.

Deal him or buy him out.... Either way, he's useless to this team.

5- Doug Murray.

Should garner a draft pick at the deadline.

6- Francis Bouillon.

Let walk as a UFA.

So now you've basically eliminated 3 midgets, one of our better defensemen and our number one center.

In return you've gotta an extra first round draft pick, a solid big centerman in Berglund, and a big physical scoring winger in Stewart.

During UFA I'd offer a ton of money to a guy like Dan Girardi and over pay to get him. Him or Matt Greene to help the right side of our defense. Youngsters Beaulieu and Pateryn would be promoted to NHL service.

2014-15 Lineup would look like:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Stewart
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Bournival - Berglund - Bourque
Prust - White - Moen

Gorges - Subban
Emelin - Giradi/Greene
Beaulieu - Pateryn

Price
Budaj

The team gets younger, but it allows more of the prospects/youngsters into the lineup and allows them to grow together.... More importantly the "young" veterans like Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gorges etc, it becomes their team now. The old guard gets changed out, and the team finally starts with a new identity.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Then I'd send out an email to all 29 teams and tell them that I'm looking to get younger and bigger as well as stockpiling draft picks and every player is available with the exception of;

Not gonna happen. Never heard of a team wanting to undersize, unless it's for a player who excels in certain facets like Gallagher.

unless part of a bigger deal:

Price
Budaj
Subban
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Plekanec
Gallagher

Budaj, Beaulieu, Pleks, Gallagher may have to be made available to get a deal done. Budaj is replaceable. You can't get the type of value we're after, satisfying glaring needs that our system is unable to fill, adding size (but not size without talent), adding scoring forwards, without sacrificing the type of players that other teams will be willing to pay for.

Last edited:

pylero

gone abs gone
Jan 4, 2014
Montreal
Sell for the future

Markov for Etem
Prust + Gionta for Despres
Eller for Savard & Jenner
Gorges for Chiasson
Briere, Bourque, Diaz, Murray for picks/prospects
Cube & Parros free to a good home

Jenner Plekanec Collberg
Pacioretty DD Chiasson
Etem Galchenyuk Gallagher
Moen Bournival Leblanc

Subban Despres
Emelin Beaulieu
Savard Tinordi
Pateryn

Those are all beautiful deals on paper, but I highly doubt any of them is remotely possible. Pit and Dallas both say a firm no IMO, and I can't see Anaheim moving Etem for a potential rental (even though I guess Markov would probably resign wherever he's dealed, if it happens)

Edit : but I do think we should trade Markov, and I would move Plekanec too, as they need to move Galchenyuk to center asap, Plecky has good value, Desharnais is untradable, and Eller might be too much of a risk to move, value wise.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Those are all beautiful deals on paper, but I highly doubt any of them is remotely possible. Pit and Dallas both say a firm no IMO, and I can't see Anaheim moving Etem for a potential rental (even though I guess Markov would probably resign wherever he's dealed, if it happens)

Edit : but I do think we should trade Markov, and I would move Plekanec too, as they need to move Galchenyuk to center asap, Plecky has good value, Desharnais is untradable, and Eller might be too much of a risk to move, value wise.

I'm glad I'm not the only one in favor of trailing Plekanec. What scares me is that management will see Plekanec as too valuable to trade, hang on to him, for a few years while we toil in mediocrity, and then finally trade him as his play has declined and his value at rock bottom. We could likely get a first round pick and a strong prospect for Pleks and to be honest we aren't even going to miss him that much. He is replaceable, and even if we don't replace him right away it just means a chance for some younger guys like Leblanc to really show what they can do in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad