Proposal: If you were the GM...trade deadline day.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Please do not combine this with the Trade Proposal thread at least for a day or two.

If you were the GM of the Habs what direction would you head in going into the trade deadline.

Their are lots of upcoming UFAs in:
Gionta, Parros, Markov, Bouillion, Murray and Diaz.

Smaller forwards in:
Gionta, Briere and Desharnais.

Plus Bourque who looks to be on his way out of town as well.

What would you look to do?

-Would you look to trade those upcoming UFAs away for picks/prospects to make sure that we get something for them before they walk away?
-Would you try to add size and toughness to the team?
-Would you trade anyone else not listed?
-Would you look to trade picks/prospects and make a run for it now?
-Fire the coach?
-Other ideas?

Keep in mind that there are only 30 games left in the season and we are only six points away from tops in the division. Plus we have a three point cushion from the top team not in the playoffs. So technically we are right in the thick of things.

What would you do?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Please do not combine this with the Trade Proposal thread at least for a day or two.

If you were the GM of the Habs what direction would you head in going into the trade deadline.

Their are lots of upcoming UFAs in:
Gionta, Parros, Markov, Bouillion, Murray and Diaz.

Smaller forwards in:
Gionta, Briere and Desharnais.

Plus Bourque who looks to be on his way out of town as well.

What would you look to do?

-Would you look to trade those upcoming UFAs away for picks/prospects to make sure that we get something for them before they walk away?
-Would you try to add size and toughness to the team?
-Would you trade anyone else not listed?
-Would you look to trade picks/prospects and make a run for it now?
-Fire the coach?
-Other ideas?

Keep in mind that there are only 30 games left in the season and we are only six points away from tops in the division. Plus we have a three point cushion from the top team not in the playoffs. So technically we are right in the thick of things.

What would you do?

Add Gallagher to the group of small players.

But the answer per se :

First, establish who's back next year and who's not. That question might have some of its answers in the current FA negociations (we can only speculate about this). If a player isn't back, hopefully must be gone by deadline.

Second, hopefully, they establish that Gionta isn't back.

Third : Shop Markov. Regardless of where we are in the standings. Accept the right offer. Only the right offer.

Fourth : Try to find takers for Briere

Fifth : I'm ambivalent regarding DD. Regardless of what we think, his production would be somewhat hard to replace, and if we intend to go with the scoring by committee route (which, according to me, we don't have much choice), I can't see anyone replacing his production (well, technically, Galchenyuk would, but then we'd have to replace Galchy's production... sortof). Same applies to a lesser extent with Eller. But just .. politely suggest to whoever coaches the team to try him at wing. THIS SAID, if a decent offer comes for him, well, accept it.

Sixth : I mentionned Gallagher... he's a guy a team like the Oilers (random example) could be interested in. Too bad their interesting young D's are all lefties. Sure, I wanna keep Gallagher, but if the offer is good...

Seventh : Bouillon, Murray --> Again, if there are offers...

Last edited:

djpass

In the last 10 years, by not doing the right thing when we had the opportunity, it set us back several years.

Right now, we have an opportunity to get rid of certain players for a fair return, instead of simply losing them for nothing.

Some guys in their last contract year can attract moderate picks in order to become depth pieces of an interested team. Such guys are (Gionta & Diaz). They should not be re-signed because we have guys that can take their roles and do as well as them at this stage. On a lesser level, Murray should also be dealt in order to give Tinordi a chance to finish the year in Montreal, along with Beaulieu.

There is a guy like Bourque that still has 2 years at a cap hit of 3.33 to his contract but with a salary of only 2.5 per, he can become the kind of risk that certain teams take at the trade deadline, especially if they weren't able to get the better pieces. Once again, replacing Bourque can be done and getting rid of him should be done, even for very little in return.

The last realistic player to move is Markov. He's the one that should bring back the biggest return, not for his future value, but rather for the present added value that he brings to teams willing to make a run for the playoffs and wanting to solidify their defence & powerplay. Saying we have nothing to replace him with is a poor excuse to not do what needs to be done when the time has come. The only question mark here is if Markov will refuse (NTC) to be traded where the best deal is given.

On another note, when Chucky's back, I'd like to see : Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher put back together till the end of the year.

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
#1 I'd try getting Burrows out of Vancouver on the cheap. Have them retain salary if possible. I would hope Burrows could come in Montreal and do the same kind of job Cole did for the Patches - DD line. Maybe ship them Bourque and/or Diaz. ( You never know, Gillis did hire Tort after all. He might be crazy enough to bite on our scraps. )

#2 I'd try shipping Brière to his destination of choice, without retaining salary.

#3 I would not ditch Bourque, but it would be very close. No reasonable offers refused even if we have to retain salary.

#4 I would attempt trading Diaz for another right handed dman.

That's pretty much it. Markov & Gionta can be dealt with before free agency after the season. Bouillon can retire or go to another team, it wouldn't bother me. Murray & Parros need to GTFO after the season is done.

#5 #FireTherrien

Last edited:

go_habs_go

Oct 9, 2003
Winnipeg, MB
www.canadiens.com
Depending on the situation near the trade deadline, I would try and acquire a veteran forward and a veteran D to take a run in the playoffs. (Jaromir Jagr)

Otherwise, my plan would be to wait until the summer (Free agency) where we will have enough cash and I would try to add key elements at that time.

Fire Therrien.

I would love a roster similar to this for next season:

Max Pacioretty - Alex Galchenyuk - Ryan Callahan
Brendan Gallagher - Tomas Plekanec - Jaromir Jagr
Daniel Briere - Lars Eller - Cheap UFA (Dany Heatley?)
Brandon Prust - Michael Bournival - Travis Moen

PK Subban - Nathan Beaulieu
Josh Gorges - Jarred Tinordi
Alexei Emelin - Greg Pateryn

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Depending on the situation near the trade deadline, I would try and acquire a veteran forward and a veteran D to take a run in the playoffs. (Jaromir Jagr)

Otherwise, my plan would be to wait until the summer (Free agency) where we will have enough cash and I would try to add key elements at that time.

Fire Therrien.

I would love a roster similar to this for next season:

Max Pacioretty - Alex Galchenyuk - Ryan Callahan
Brendan Gallagher - Tomas Plekanec - Jaromir Jagr
Daniel Briere - Lars Eller - Cheap UFA (Dany Heatley?)
Brandon Prust - Michael Bournival - Travis Moen

PK Subban - Nathan Beaulieu
Josh Gorges - Jarred Tinordi
Alexei Emelin - Greg Pateryn

I can't see the rangers not resigning Callahan but if they don't I would go after him. I would rather see
Tinordi-emelin
Or
Tinordi-pateryn
Or
Tinordi-Diaz(if he resigns)

Just opinion though.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Ideal 3-steps move.

#1: I'd offer Josh Gorges and prospects/picks for Dan Hamhuis. I'm sure Tortorella would love the shot-blocking grand master that is Gorges. :laugh:

#2: If Step #1 is achieved, Markov can be offered to the market. I wouldn't even look at prospect or picks for him. I want WINGERS. Good wingers!!!! We especially need help in the right side.

#3: Get rid one of Bourque and/or Briere to make place for those wingers from Step #2.

But of course, we all know that's not gonna happen. :laugh:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If the strategy is the build through the draft, trade for draft picks.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Ideal 3-steps move.

#1: I'd offer Josh Gorges and prospects/picks for Dan Hamhuis. I'm sure Tortorella would love the shot-blocking grand master that is Gorges. :laugh:

#2: If Step #1 is achieved, Markov can be offered to the market. I wouldn't even look at prospect or picks for him. I want WINGERS. Good wingers!!!! We especially need help in the right side.

#3: Get rid one of Bourque and/or Briere to make place for those wingers from Step #2.

But of course, we all know that's not gonna happen. :laugh:

Problem: Dan Hamhuis has a NTC, is at home in Vancouver and the Canucks are as much contenders as the habs are. There is no way he chooses to play in Montreal this season or next season or ever. ;)

firewagon77*

Bergevin start rebuilding this team it is not a stanley cup contender that's why they brought you in,you said you want to build through the draft and with young players ....well prove it....Start by trading Bourque you will probably have to pick up half the contract throw in a prospect and draft pick....trade Briere you will get little back in return and will have to pick up some of the contract....trade Gionta to chicago for Phillip Danault.....trade Moen to L.A. for physical player Andy Andreoff....Trade Markov to St.Louis for Dmitrij Jaskin and Petteri Lindbohm......trade Diaz for whatever you can get for him....trade Desharnais for David Perron,Alex Chiasson,Brett Connolly,or Devant Smith-Pelly....and try to pick up some future size on defense like Jonathan Diaby from the Predators,if you have to throw in some smaller skill guys to get bigger like Collberg and Hudon then do so.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Problem: Dan Hamhuis has a NTC, is at home in Vancouver and the Canucks are as much contenders as the habs are. There is no way he chooses to play in Montreal this season or next season or ever. ;)

That's why i said it's unlikely to happen. But, the idea to my suggestion is to use Gorges' reputation and most likely high value in attempt to package him for a #2 D. Get an upgrade on him while he's still hopefully overrated in the minds of other GMs.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
That's why i said it's never going to happen. But, the idea to my suggestion is to use Gorges' reputation and most likely high value in attempt to package him for a #2 D. Get an upgrade on him while he's still hopefully overrated in the minds of other GMs.

Sure, there was this Gorges + Gallagher for Edler + Jensen proposal earlier this month that was interesting. I can see Gorges being dangled with some stronger incentives to pluck a top pairing dman.

It'll be a tough pill to swallow though.

TYLENOL

Dec 29, 2012
Bergevin start rebuilding this team it is not a stanley cup contender that's why they brought you in,you said you want to build through the draft and with young players ....well prove it....Start by trading Bourque you will probably have to pick up half the contract throw in a prospect and draft pick....trade Briere you will get little back in return and will have to pick up some of the contract....trade Gionta to chicago for Phillip Danault.....trade Moen to L.A. for physical player Andy Andreoff....Trade Markov to St.Louis for Dmitrij Jaskin and Petteri Lindbohm......trade Diaz for whatever you can get for him....trade Desharnais for David Perron,Alex Chiasson,Brett Connolly,or Devant Smith-Pelly....and try to pick up some future size on defense like Jonathan Diaby from the Predators,if you have to throw in some smaller skill guys to get bigger like Collberg and Hudon then do so.

To much NHL 14 for you!

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
To the OP

This is a business
The owner asks the GM to make the playoffs because the playoffs equals extra revenue
Extra revenue is what its all about, Cold hard cash is what its all about
If we're in the running at the deadline there will be NO movement other than minor or exchangeable pieces.
We may try to bring something in, but I doubt it

All these assets people refer to are the ones that help us get to the playoffs, if we're in it they're going nowhere as Bergevin has marching orders different than those of the fervent fans

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
To the OP

This is a business
The owner asks the GM to make the playoffs because the playoffs equals extra revenue
If we're in the running at the deadline there will be NO movement other than minor or exchangeable pieces.

All these assets people refer to are the ones that help us get to the playoffs, if we're in it they're going nowhere as Bergevin has marching orders different than those of the fervent fans

You'd think Molson would want to make it to the end to maximize the free revenue.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'd fire Therrien right before the Olympic break and hire someone else immediately so they can watch game tape and prepare themselves for when the season starts up again. I'd also make it mandatory that everyone comes back 4-5 days early for a mini training camp.

Then I'd send out an email to all 29 teams and tell them that I'm looking to get younger and bigger as well as stockpiling draft picks and every player is available with the exception of; unless part of a bigger deal:

Price
Budaj
Subban
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Plekanec
Gallagher

I doubt there would be many bites but it would give an opportunity to move some of the smaller players out and allow room for some young players that give a damn to play in Montreal.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
1) I would trade Markov for a good prospect + a 1st.

2) I would make a pitch to get one or two of Tim Erixon, Adam Larsson and Simon Desprès.

3) I would trade any of our upcoming UFA :
Gionta, Murray, Bouillon, Diaz.

4) I would try to trade Bourque and Biere for pending free agent. If not I buy them out in the summer.

5) Make a strong pitch for a young talented winger (Kane, Eberle, Stewart) by using Eller, Gorges, Emelin, Prospects and pick as trade bait.

6) Trade Moen if we receive a good offer.

7) Sign our core longterm (cough *Subban*)

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
To the OP

This is a business

Yes, so if the team is not insured a playoff spot come that deadline day, they could also move and it could very well be significant trades. The logic goes both ways depending on the deals a GM can make.

habs999

Jan 19, 2014
In an ideal world, we trade everyone not named: Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

-I would trade our 1st round pick, Bork and and a prospect for a no. 2 PMD.
-I would dump Bouillon somewhere for free.
-I would trade Eller+Diaz for a top 6 winger once Chucky is back
-I would change our coaching strategies
-Make the playoffs

Briere-Pleckanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Top 6-Desharnais-Leblanc/Prust
Moen-White-Prust/Leblanc

Emelin-Subban
Markov-No. 2 D
Gorges-Beaulieu
Murray/
Drewiskie/
Pateryn

Price-Budaj

I'm trying not to quit on the season here but it would take a lot to make the playoffs, but I definitely think we have the right core (Galchenyuk, Subban & Price) for that. Tanking would be a shame for these 3 franchise players. Yes, I spent a 1st rounder for a no. 2 d-man and I know MB wouldn't do that, but I think it's a well spend pick if we assume our new acquisition will play 25 minutes/game for a couple of years with us.
Of course I would like to get ride of some midgets, but I think it will happen during the off-season.

We need to make the playoffs and with a way better defensive top 6 and a franchise goalie, we will be the 2nd best team in the Atlantic.
But all of that won't mean anything if coaches doesn't put the team in the right track with strategies before, during and after games. I hope Therrien will be able to do that.

We need to make the playoffs! We could go far with this core.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
To the OP

This is a business

I am the OP. Believe me when I say that I understand what you are saying one hundred percent.

I think though that as an organization that you have to look at the big picture. I would rather try to build a Stanley Cup contender for the future than to build for a year to year playoff push.

Sometimes one step backwards can mean two steps forwards. It does not always equal out to that I understand.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Id rather see the team loose with young players, then to see them loose or try to go in the playoff with a core full of small bodies and old timers.

We wont win **** with briere, diaz, dd, gionta, bourque, bouillon and all. So trade them. Markov? Trade him too if you can have something good.

We wont be winning this year and we have nobody coming up next year in our prospects group that will have a real impact on our roster.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
The compete level on this team is non existent and it ain't even February. Its looking less and less likely that they will make the playoffs, and if they do it'll be a 1st round exit.

MB needs to make some traded to make sure his team next year is better. If you don't trade Markov for the standard prospect + 1st, trade him for a player around 23-26 who will be under contract next season and who is either a D or winger.

Then you have Murray who somehow fetched two 2nds last season, I'm sure he's tradeable for atlesst a pick.

Diaz has some value as a depth PMD. Seems clear he doesn't have a future here, ship him. Even if its a B level prospect...

Gionta clearly has value around the league. Just about every analyst has hinted at him having value. Could definitely fetch a 1st or 2nd and maybe even a prospect.

These are all moves MB must make. Forget this season, look ahead and continue with building this team so we can be competitive in a year or two or three. Losing all these free agents would be a ****ing waste.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Don't trade anyone. Keep the status quo.

Briere
Bourque
Desharnais
Gorges
Murray
Bouillon
Gionta

should all be on the block and need to be moved out in the off-season. In the mean time, fall down the standings and get a better prospect. We have the luxury of having a great young core in PK, Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Let nature take it's course and draft a #2 defenseman or a top left winger. We're not at risk of being another Edmonton.

The real window for this team will be when all this deadweight is gone and our next stream of kids in Reway, Collberg, McCarron, Hudon, Lekhonen, DLR, Tinordi and Beaulieu make the club.

C: Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk, Bournival, White
W: Pacioretty, Gallagher, Reway, Collberg, McCarron, Hudon, Lekhonen, DLR
D: Markov, Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu
G: Price

is pretty good depth in the future. I would like to keep Gorges but you have to give something to get something. He doesn't have the stature or skill to be a top 4, but he's a great #5. We need to draft scorers and defensemen.

When we got rid of Kaberle and Gomez, we had the chance to move on. But we decided to go with Briere and bring the problem back. We need to stop repeating the same mistakes. In the mean time, build through the draft. Timmins is our biggest asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad