If you were the GM and had to do the 1st round draft all over again

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Let's just hope he really stands out at camp this year, I mean really stands out, and Maurice plays him in every preseason game much like he did Petan, Ehlers and Lowry two years ago, then we will see what the team is made of, if they send them down then we know Stu has dirt on big guys!

Yup. I'm looking for a big pre-season from Morrissey and Petan.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We picked: Scheifele
Would have picked: Couturier

We picked: Trouba
Would have picked: Forsberg

We picked: Morrissey
Would have picked: Lazar

We picked: Ehlers
Would have picked: Perlini

We picked: Connor
Would have picked: Connor

We picked: Roslovic
Would have picked: Sprong

We picked: Laine
Would have picked: Laine

We picked: Stanley
Would have picked: Gauthier

Whileee

May 29, 2010

No offense, but I like the Jets picks a lot better overall.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yea I really liked the way Wennberg thought the game when he was young, such a smart player. That being said I like Morrissey more than most still and think he has a game that will mesh really well 5v5 with top skilled players. The thing I loved most about Josh is the better the players the better his game and while that is true of most players it really comes to light with him.

Can't wait to see him stretch passing Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, or working together with Trouba, Buff, or Postma. It was always great watching josh and Draisaitl combine to make magic or watch Morrissey on the World junior team in 2015. I think this season may be tough with Stu **** blocking but if Josh gets his chance I think he is going to do really well with the Jets.
Don't get me wrong, I really like Morrissey too.

He and Draisaitl were incredibly fun to watch.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Don't get me wrong, I really like Morrissey too.

He and Draisaitl were incredibly fun to watch.

Yea we shall see with Josh I think the best is yet to come but time will tell. Mo is addicted to Stu so opportunity is probably going to have to be injury driven. Honestly if they put Josh on his off side in the bottom pairing with with the human hazing ritual for any prolonged length of time I will be disappointed.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Would have picked: Scheifele

Would have picked: Troubs

Would have picked: Theodore

Would have picked: Ehlers

Would have picked: Guhle/Larsson/Carlsson

Would have picked: Cholowski

Didn't say that we had to use hindsight.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

You're the type of golfer who actually writes '13' on your scorecard, aren't you?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would have picked: I don't know

Would have picked: Ehlers or Larkin - I was really being persuaded about Larkin

Would have picked: Larsson - I had my mind made up quite firmly on this one at the time.

Would have picked: Not Stanley! Johansson

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Would have picked: Ehlers or Larkin - I was really being persuaded about Larkin

Would have picked: Larsson - I had my mind made up quite firmly on this one at the time.

Would have picked: Not Stanley! Johansson

Wow, that's pretty impressive on Theodore. I don't really recall any pre-draft analyst that had him anywhere close to #13 overall. Out of 12 published rankings, only 3 had him in the first round at #30 (Pronman), #20 (Future Considerations) and #29 (Sportsnet). His "consensus" ranking was around #35, I believe. Morrissey's "consensus" was #19.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013-nhl-draft-prospect-consensus-rankings

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wow, that's pretty impressive on Theodore. I don't really recall any pre-draft analyst that had him anywhere close to #13 overall. Out of 12 published rankings, only 3 had him in the first round at #30 (Pronman), #20 (Future Considerations) and #29 (Sportsnet). His "consensus" ranking was around #35, I believe. Morrissey's "consensus" was #19.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013-nhl-draft-prospect-consensus-rankings

Didn't have Theodore or anyone else picked at the time (as far as I can recall). Looked back at stats available at the time. He fit the profile I would look for. A bit of hindsight on that one but not too much I think. The rest I remember. The earlier ones I just wasn't paying enough attention to so, IDK.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
These were my picks and an audit of my twitter or HFJ posting history would back this up:

2011 Hamilton
2012 Forsberg
2013 Wennberg
2014 Ehlers
2015 Connor
2016 Laine

I was never really "down" on the Scheifele pick as I learned to love the kid on his first pre-season game and he's been one of my favorite players since. I was not a fan of the Trouba over Forsberg pick and would still pick Forsberg today probably but we obviously needed to draft D at some point.

Now, look at my list or the dozens of other lists on here. A blind squirrel with no scouting budget or other staff would have ended up with virtually the same pool of talented young prospects if we were drafting from the same position that Chevy has. Most of us all would've bought out Pavelec in 2013 and wouldn't have extended Stuart, Thorburn, Peluso. We probably wouldn't have ended up with Hellebuyck either....because none of us wouldve heard of him.

Like all magic, the magic of Chevy's drafting is an illusion.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
These were my picks and an audit of my twitter or HFJ posting history would back this up:

2011 Hamilton
2012 Forsberg
2013 Wennberg
2014 Ehlers
2015 Connor
2016 Laine

I was never really "down" on the Scheifele pick as I learned to love the kid on his first pre-season game and he's been one of my favorite players since. I was not a fan of the Trouba over Forsberg pick and would still pick Forsberg today probably but we obviously needed to draft D at some point.

Now, look at my list or the dozens of other lists on here. A blind squirrel with no scouting budget or other staff would have ended up with virtually the same pool of talented young prospects if we were drafting from the same position that Chevy has. Most of us all would've bought out Pavelec in 2013 and wouldn't have extended Stuart, Thorburn, Peluso. We probably wouldn't have ended up with Hellebuyck either....because none of us wouldve heard of him.

With your picks we look like:

Laine Little Wheeler
Connor Forsberg Ehlers
MP Wennberg Stafford
Armia Lowry Dano

Enstrom Buff
Hamilton Myers
Stuart Postma

Whileee

May 29, 2010

2011 Hamilton
2012 Forsberg
2013 Wennberg
2014 Ehlers
2015 Connor
2016 Laine

Scheifele >>> Hamilton. Not having a bona fide #1C is a very big deficit in your grouping. So is not having a #1 goalie prospect (Hellebuyck).

The Jets drafting is not just about 1st rounders - they've been pretty effective in other rounds, too.

Add to that the trades for Armia, Lemieux, Roslovic and Dano and they've completely transformed the youth and depth of the organization. That's also what they get kudos for.

Most on this board would have taken Gauthier over Morrissey, by the way.

You also forgot about how they didn't re-sign Stempniak. Any list of grievances about Chevy is incomplete without that. Buying out Pavelec wouldn't have changed anything for the future, except maybe made some fans feel better. Maybe we would have had a bit of a better goalie last season and finished in 10-14th lottery position and we could have drafted McAvoy instead of Laine (or Tkachuk, if we didn't win the lottery pick). The point is that the Jets really don't have a problem with their contracts. They have a problem with over-valuing a couple of roster players (Thorbs and Stuart), but otherwise have a fantastic roster and an enviable cap situation. But, of course, that's all "luck". Interesting how it used to be that Chevy was good at drafting but couldn't make a trade to save his life. Now he's made some terrific trades and the meme is that he's been "lucky" at drafting.

I'm looking forward to when this team is really a strong competitor and nay-sayers flood the boards to say how "lucky" Chevy has been.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Scheifele >>> Hamilton. Not having a bona fide #1C is a very big deficit in your grouping. So is not having a #1 goalie prospect (Hellebuyck).

The Jets drafting is not just about 1st rounders - they've been pretty effective in other rounds, too.

Add to that the trades for Armia, Lemieux, Roslovic and Dano and they've completely transformed the youth and depth of the organization. That's also what they get kudos for.

You also forgot about how they didn't re-sign Stempniak. Any list of grievances about Chevy is incomplete without that. Buying out Pavelec wouldn't have changed anything for the future, except maybe made some fans feel better. Maybe we would have had a bit of a better goalie last season and finished in 10-14th lottery position and we could have drafted McAvoy instead of Laine (or Tkachuk, if we didn't win the lottery pick). The point is that the Jets really don't have a problem with their contracts. They have a problem with over-valuing a couple of roster players (Thorbs and Stuart), but otherwise have a fantastic roster and an enviable cap situation. But, of course, that's all "luck". Interesting how it used to be that Chevy was good at drafting but couldn't make a trade to save his life. Now he's made some terrific trades and the meme is that he's been "lucky" at drafting.

I'm looking forward to when this team is really a strong competitor and nay-sayers flood the boards to say how "lucky" Chevy has been.

iMo, I can't take any criticism of Chevy seriously that discounts every good move to luck and every bad move to incompetence and claim to be unbiased...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Well, it's debatable whether Chevy had much to do with the Scheifele pick anyway... ;)

There's this idea that Chevy's been drafting really well but I'm not sure it isn't just a product of high draft position and some good luck. Later picks have been okay, but it's been hit and miss - not really better than average IMO, though it's difficult to accurately judge at this stage.

The beauty of failing to ice a decent team is that the failure is rewarded with high picks. High picks = better prospects = Chevy's a genius? Or do you really believe in the soft-tank theory? I'm not sure I do, but boy, I would sure feel better if I believed that Chevy deliberately chose the status quo on Pavelec and Stu these last few years just so he could keep the team on the bubble until we had enough depth to turn the corner and become perennial contenders.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
iMo, I can't take any criticism of Chevy seriously that discounts every good move to luck and every bad move to incompetence and claim to be unbiased...

The great thing about being a poster here is the opportunity to continuously critique Chevy and the Jets for their mistakes (yes, they make some bad ones), but conveniently forget all of the dumb ideas we have had.

Imagine if Chevy had followed the collective wisdom of this board and had drafted Gauthier in 2013. We'd still be having thread after thread castigating him for the stupidity.

By the way, in 2013 the assembled wisdom of this board had some sage advice for Chevy about what to do about the Jets goaltending situation. Now, I'm sure that everyone remembers fondly about how we are collectively so much smarter than Chevy, so let's look at the results, with the benefit of some hindsight.

Which goaltender option is best? (May 14, 2013)

View attachment 91115

To summarize:

The leading option was Pavelec and Emery/Scrivens (48.57%)
The second option was Pavelec and Montoya (27.14%)
The third option was two of Emery/Scrivens/Bernier/Someone else (24.29%)

Only you know how you voted at the time. ;)

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well, it's debatable whether Chevy had much to do with the Scheifele pick anyway... ;)

There's this idea that Chevy's been drafting really well but I'm not sure it isn't just a product of high draft position and some good luck. Later picks have been okay, but it's been hit and miss - not really better than average IMO, though it's difficult to accurately judge at this stage.

The beauty of failing to ice a decent team is that the failure is rewarded with high picks. High picks = better prospects = Chevy's a genius? Or do you really believe in the soft-tank theory? I'm not sure I do, but boy, I would sure feel better if I believed that Chevy deliberately chose the status quo on Pavelec and Stu these last few years just so he could keep the team on the bubble until we had enough depth to turn the corner and become perennial contenders.

See above.... in May 2013 the about 2/3 of the assembled wisdom of this board thought that the solution for the Jets' goaltending included Pavelec.

Everyone here has maintained that Chevy should be judged by results. I agree. I just think that the adjudication process has been premature, and we'll know whether the draft and develop process will have panned out in the next 2-3 years.

Of course drafting higher gets better prospects, on average. But lots of teams have whiffed on important picks (imagine if you had a #1 and #4 overall and now had Yakupov and Griffin Reinhart to show for it). But having higher picks is actually part of the draft and develop strategy. You don't trade prospects / picks for players to improve the team now, so you stay mediocre and accumulate better prospects with higher picks. The main judgement relates to not overvaluing your own roster.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Wait - is someone claiming to be unbiased on this board?! :laugh:

I think this thread makes a solid case that it would've been tough to blow it with the high picks the Jets have had. Who wouldn't have taken Connor at 17th overall? (ok, put your hand down, Sweeney). A lot of us were fist-pumping and high-fiving when Ehlers was available at 9th. Forsberg vs. Trouba? Hamilton vs. Scheifele vs. Couturier? Morrissey vs. Pulock vs. Wennberg? Lots of good players around where we picked...

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Wait - is someone claiming to be unbiased on this board?! :laugh:

I think this thread makes a solid case that it would've been tough to blow it with the high picks the Jets have had. Who wouldn't have taken Connor at 17th overall? (ok, put your hand down, Sweeney). A lot of us were fist-pumping and high-fiving when Ehlers was available at 9th. Forsberg vs. Trouba? Hamilton vs. Scheifele vs. Couturier? Morrissey vs. Pulock vs. Wennberg? Lots of good players around where we picked...

Trouba was an under rated pick, not many around here had him pegged there, he was jets top 5, that to me was one of their better ones next to scheif.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

2011 Hamilton
2012 Forsberg
2013 Wennberg
2014 Ehlers
2015 Connor
2016 Laine

Who would you have taken at 25 last year and 22/36 this year?

This thread and Blue's post only deal with the first round. In fairness we can still assume that Bucky was taken in the 5th in '12. I'm not sure how much C Forsberg plays but he was drafted as a C. He might have been developed as a C, potentially.

How effective have the Jets been in other rounds? We have some promising players in Petan, Copp, Lowry and Bucky but none have established themselves to date. I'm optimistic about some of the later round picks but it is premature to claim that they have done well in those rounds.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Ditto the bolded. :laugh: Everytime I go through the "if only Chevy had _____" exercise I quickly get to the realization that better sooner would have cost us most of our best prospects.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
See above.... in May 2013 the about 2/3 of the assembled wisdom of this board thought that the solution for the Jets' goaltending included Pavelec.

Everyone here has maintained that Chevy should be judged by results. I agree. I just think that the adjudication process has been premature, and we'll know whether the draft and develop process will have panned out in the next 2-3 years.

Of course drafting higher gets better prospects, on average. But lots of teams have whiffed on important picks (imagine if you had a #1 and #4 overall and now had Yakupov and Griffin Reinhart to show for it). But having higher picks is actually part of the draft and develop strategy. You don't trade prospects / picks for players to improve the team now, so you stay mediocre and accumulate better prospects with higher picks. The main judgement relates to not overvaluing your own roster.

You're kind of proving my point here - 2/3rds of the assembled wisdom of this board were wrong on Pavelec in May of 2013. And yet this collection of assorted Jets fans could've drafted about as well as Chevy, without the millions of dollars spent on scouting and the years of experience building winners in the IHL.

And teams whiffing on high picks doesn't prove anything. The chances of it happening are greatly reduced the higher you draft - and the Jets have had the 3rd highest average draft position in the NHL from 2011-2016.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad