If you were the GM and had to do the 1st round draft all over again

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We likely could have traded down in the first round and acquired extra picks if we wanted too. It was confirmed that Tampa's trade sheet was actually from Tampa. It's speculative that they would have in the first place but I think we could have pulled it off with someone. As long as we could snag Johansen before the Caps. We could still end up with Clague and Green too. It would have taken some effort but was far from impossible, actually quite attainable.

This is completely speculative. No other teams traded up or down in that range. Tampa had a large number of scenarios but didn't pull off any of them. I prefer to assess based on actual results, rather than speculative opportunities. Fact is they drafted Stanley and Green from the return of those two picks. Time will tell whether it was better than other players available at #22 and #36.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Sorry, what's all this about a Tampa trade? I feel like I missed something... Anybody have a link?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is completely speculative. No other teams traded up or down in that range. Tampa had a large number of scenarios but didn't pull off any of them. I prefer to assess based on actual results, rather than speculative opportunities. Fact is they drafted Stanley and Green from the return of those two picks. Time will tell whether it was better than other players available at #22 and #36.

Well we couldn't trade down because we jumped the gun and traded up.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sorry, what's all this about a Tampa trade? I feel like I missed something... Anybody have a link?

Someone in a Buffalo hotel found a document left behind by some Tampa scouts that noted the Jets as possible targets they could trade up with. Obviously that was impossible considering our scouts were gaga over Stanleyand traded up well before. My opinion is if Tampa had it in writing they likely were open to the idea. Would have been a home run if we pulled it off.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Someone in a Buffalo hotel found a document left behind by some Tampa scouts that noted the Jets as possible targets they could trade up with. Obviously that was impossible considering our scouts were gaga over Stanleyand traded up well before. My opinion is if Tampa had it in writing they likely were open to the idea. Would have been a home run if we pulled it off.

That sheet had a bunch of scenarios. They didn't act on any of them. It's a big leap to go from a value sheet to a draft floor trade. Every team has a value sheet, but not many teams make a trade.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That sheet had a bunch of scenarios. They didn't act on any of them. It's a big leap to go from a value sheet to a draft floor trade. Every team has a value sheet, but not many teams make a trade.

We did. I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to trade down. We'll never know because we weren't manning the phones. But I'm sure it very well could have been done.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We traded up and added a third round pick (Green). So we ended up with Stanley and Green for #22 and #36. Everything else is pure speculation.

I have no problem dealing in speculation. I will hold to my opinion that we could have made it out of that draft with both value and quantity. Rather than neither outside of Laine.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have no problem dealing in speculation. I will hold to my opinion that we could have made it out of that draft with both value and quantity. Rather than neither outside of Laine.

I fear that they whiffed on Stanley. I think we should assess this draft in the future based on the picks they made compared to who was available, without invoking speculation about deals we think they could have made.

For me, they had two picks and they selected Stanley and Green. Let's see how they turn out compared to prospects available at 22 and 36. Otherwise, you might as well assess all if the teams using the same standard, assuming they could have traded down and gotten more value than they appear to have.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Off my lists looking back

2011 I was high on life getting the team back and not aware what a draft was and I had no opinion
2012 Trouba (was my hope going in and I was thrilled but would have been happy with Forsburg too)
2013 Wennberg
2014 Ehlers
2015 Connor (looking off my list we just missed the guys I really wanted at 25 Chabot or Konecny)
2016 Laine, and trade down to add picks

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I wanted:
Couturier
Forsberg
Pulock
Ehlers
Swapped picks with the Oilers (provided the price wasn't obscene)
Barzal+Dunn
Laine+Johansen

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Off my lists looking back

2011 I was high on life getting the team back and not aware what a draft was and I had no opinion
2012 Trouba (was my hope going in and I was thrilled but would have been happy with Forsburg too)
2013 Wennberg
2014 Ehlers
2015 Connor (looking off my list we just missed the guys I really wanted at 25 Chabot or Konecny)
2016 Laine, and trade down to add picks

I really liked Wennberg before the draft. He plays a smart two-way game and scores at a decent clip. I still think he can become a 60 point two-way centre. Near half a point per game at 20 is pretty solid.

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
Out of the list I think Morrissey could go either way. Yeah, I forgot about Wennberg. Perhaps I would have chosen him instead of Morrissey.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Out of the list I think Morrissey could go either way. Yeah, I forgot about Wennberg. Perhaps I would have chosen him instead of Morrissey.

I agree with this, but I still think that Morrissey could be a top-4 puck-moving D. If he hits that level, then I'll take him over Wennberg or Duclair or other middle-6 wingers drafted after him. Theodore looks promising now, but it's too early to give him the nod. Morrissey has been better than Theodore for a good portion of the time since they were drafted.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We picked: Scheifele
Would have picked: Hamilton

We picked: Trouba
Would have picked: Forsberg

We picked: Morrissey
Would have picked: Wennberg

We picked: Ehlers
Would have picked: Ehlers

We picked: Connor
Would have picked: Connor

We picked: Roslovic
Would have picked: Merkley

We picked: Laine
Would have picked: Laine

We picked: Stanley
Would have picked: I'll stick with Stanley. Actually really wanted Fabbro, but once he went didn't have a strong preference.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
2011: Would've worn the blue stripe tie
2012: Would've had that second piece of lasagne
2013: Would not have had that second piece of lasagne
2014: Haircut before not after
2015: Would have charged my laptop
2016: Would have turned phone off after #2

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I agree with this, but I still think that Morrissey could be a top-4 puck-moving D. If he hits that level, then I'll take him over Wennberg or Duclair or other middle-6 wingers drafted after him. Theodore looks promising now, but it's too early to give him the nod. Morrissey has been better than Theodore for a good portion of the time since they were drafted.
I don't think Morrissey vs Wennberg is settled yet either, but Wennberg is already a very nice player. He is a defensively responsible 40 point centre at 20 years old. Some continued defensive growth and another 20 or so points will make for one heck of a player - Josh would need to be a strong 3 or better to top that IMO. Not sure he gets there, but I do think he has the skill to do it

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I don't think Morrissey vs Wennberg is settled yet either, but Wennberg is already a very nice player. He is a defensively responsible 40 point centre at 20 years old. Some continued defensive growth and another 20 or so points will make for one heck of a player - Josh would need to be a strong 3 or better to top that IMO. Not sure he gets there, but I do think he has the skill to do it

Value of d is through the roof these days.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I really liked Wennberg before the draft. He plays a smart two-way game and scores at a decent clip. I still think he can become a 60 point two-way centre. Near half a point per game at 20 is pretty solid.

Yea I really liked the way Wennberg thought the game when he was young, such a smart player. That being said I like Morrissey more than most still and think he has a game that will mesh really well 5v5 with top skilled players. The thing I loved most about Josh is the better the players the better his game and while that is true of most players it really comes to light with him.

Can't wait to see him stretch passing Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, or working together with Trouba, Buff, or Postma. It was always great watching josh and Draisaitl combine to make magic or watch Morrissey on the World junior team in 2015. I think this season may be tough with Stu **** blocking but if Josh gets his chance I think he is going to do really well with the Jets.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea I really liked the way Wennberg thought the game when he was young, such a smart player. That being said I like Morrissey more than most still and think he has a game that will mesh really well 5v5 with top skilled players. The thing I loved most about Josh is the better the players the better his game and while that is true of most players it really comes to light with him.

Can't wait to see him stretch passing Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, or working together with Trouba, Buff, or Postma. It was always great watching josh and Draisaitl combine to make magic or watch Morrissey on the World junior team in 2015. I think this season may be tough with Stu **** blocking but if Josh gets his chance I think he is going to do really well with the Jets.

Let's just hope he really stands out at camp this year, I mean really stands out, and Maurice plays him in every preseason game much like he did Petan, Ehlers and Lowry two years ago, then we will see what the team is made of, if they send them down then we know Stu has dirt on big guys!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Morrissey has become a but underrated around here. He needed some pro seasoning, which isn't a huge surprise. Like others that didn't seem to progress as much as hoped with the Moose, I think a lot of that related to how bad the vets were, and maybe a bad system. I recall being pleasantly surprised at how well the Moose call ups played late last season, after they had mediocre production with the Moose. Too bad Morrissey only got one game with the Jets. I thought he was way better than previous showings. I expect a big improvement this pre-season compared to last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad