If you were GM...

Jefe302

Oct 17, 2014
Well I just let the first thoughts go. The trades are questionable but who knows, tried to be realistic but again just off the top of my head. No lines just a roster.

1. Call a team meeting to discuss the season let them all know this is unacceptable. Let players know this is not personal, this is a job and they are not doing their job. Call out players individually about what I want them to work on in the off season. Everyone has work to do and by making everyone else aware they can be a team and hold each other accountable. Let them know changes are coming. We want to change this culture and they’ve won enough in their career to get to the NHL level. We need everyone to go from the losers they are now to winners. Anyone who can’t take direct feedback is not mentally strong enough to be on this team.
  2. Outline an encouraged optional off season program. It will show who is serious about changing this culture and making this a winning program. This will involve books to read like Phil Jackson does. Hire proven winners to come in and give talks. Players may attend in person or remotely. Phil Jackson and Pat Riley can kick things off. Provide optional film studies in the offseason. All of this is optional so as not to interfere with any player association offseason rules.
  3. Meet with the leadership. Ekblad, Huberdeau, Yandle, and Barkov. Let them know effective immediately all are stripped of their official leadership and will need to earn this back. Reiterate that losing is not something we should be comfortable with and if you are comfortable with that this is not the team for you. If you want an A or a C then we need to see your commitment this offseason. You must adapt failure to do so may involve being traded or benched. Even if you have a streak, Yandle. If your not willing to put in the work or adapt let us know and we will find another place for you.
  4. Find a Goaltending coach that is a good fit for Bob. His contract can’t be moved so we’re keeping him, let’s try to fix this.
  5. Overall goal for culture change of: Losing is not acceptable, accountability, and everyone is responsible for Defensive play.
  6. Drafting philosophy: highest skill upside on the board period. If you end up with too many forwards trade them for some d prospects. Picks will be traceable if it fills a need at the present with term.
  7. Free agent philosophy no one gets over $7 million a year unless they are under 30 or will be 35 or younger at expiration at the end of the and is meets certain performance requirements. Top of the league in certain criteria such as health, goals, assists, fewest turnovers with a high toi, etc.
  8. Players looking for money and asking for top dollar will be passed over the goal is a cup not a paycheck. You may be worth 8 by the leagues standard but if they can’t be happy with 7.2 10% less to help field a more competitive team then we will pass. Look at the Heat when they had the Big3
Next step is personnel changes. Cap Space is 83M, Spending 76,484,666. Gave some cushion for my signings and trades being underestimated/valued. Also for trade deadline. I had thought about going after Reaves for some toughness.
On the chopping block: Matheson, Stralman, willing to trade a 1st with them to get better D.
If season is not going well entertain a trade involving Barkov or Huberdeau.

Forwards: 37,562,333
Huberdeau 5.9
Barkov 5.9
Hoffman RW resign 7.5x5
Connolly 3.5
Jay Beagle C(trade 2020 3rd 2021 conditional 2nd turns into an unprotected first if we make conference finals by end of 20-21 season and Yandle) 3.0
Vatrano 2.533
Saarel resign 2.0x3
Acciari 1.666
Tippett 863,333
Toninanto resign 1.5x2
Wallmark resign 2.0 x4
Sceviour 1.2

Defense 24,089,333
Brodin (Trade Borg + 2020 2nd and 3rd get 2020 6th. Would give 2020 first if necessary)4.166
Ekblad 7.5
Jack Johnson 3.25 (Trade Matheson 4.875 get 2020 5th)
Rasmus Ristolainen 5.4 (trade Stralman 5.5 and 2020 4th)
Stillman 773,333
Weegar RD resign 3.0x4

Goaltending: 10.850M
Bobrovsky 10.0
Driedger 850,000

Total Misc: 3.983M
Recapture
Luongo
1.09 M
Buy Out
Darling
2.33 M
Retained
Demers

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I fully expect to be flamed for this, and it serves me right. I don't know much about the Panthers, so I'm coming in hot with some serious ignorance. Buuut....just to spice things up since both of our fanbases are a little depressed right now (I feel like you cats and us dogs have so, so much in common when it comes to misery):

At the draft:

To FLA
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (LD)
Niklas Hjalmarsson (RD)
Either (C) Derek Stepan (50%) OR (RW) Phil Kessel (50%)
Arizona's 2020 2nd

To ARI
Aaron Ekblad
Keith Yandle
Brett Connolly
Colorado's 2020 3rd

The cap-hit is basically a wash. Fairly even. The deal is a huge shake up. A huge chunk of our leadership group for a huge chunk of your leadership group. I know that Coach Q absolutely loves Niklas Hjalmarsson. I know that Panthers fans are about as sick as can be with Keith Yandle. Kessel has been elite every year of his career until he got to AZ, and obviously isn't fitting in. Stepan's production has been declining but he's an effective center, which Florida seems to need after the Trochek trade. Baggage out, baggage in, fresh-starts all-around.

Go ahead and start hurling beer bottles at me. :)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I fully expect to be flamed for this, and it serves me right. I don't know much about the Panthers, so I'm coming in hot with some serious ignorance. Buuut....just to spice things up since both of our fanbases are a little depressed right now (I feel like you cats and us dogs have so, so much in common when it comes to misery):

At the draft:

To FLA
Niklas Hjalmarsson (RD)
Arizona's 2020 2nd

To ARI
Aaron Ekblad
Keith Yandle
Brett Connolly
Colorado's 2020 3rd

The cap-hit is basically a wash. Fairly even. The deal is a huge shake up. A huge chunk of our leadership group for a huge chunk of your leadership group. I know that Coach Q absolutely loves Niklas Hjalmarsson. I know that Panthers fans are about as sick as can be with Keith Yandle. Kessel has been elite every year of his career until he got to AZ, and obviously isn't fitting in. Stepan's production has been declining but he's an effective center, which Florida seems to need after the Trochek trade. Baggage out, baggage in, fresh-starts all-around.

Getting rid off Yandle should and will not cost Ekblad. If the cap wasn't an issue here, I'd trade Yandle plus the 3rd for that 2nd rounder.

rt

May 13, 2004
Getting rid off Yandle should and will not cost Ekblad.
That's very true! Which is why I included Arizona's captain and #1 defenseman in the deal also. ;)
If the cap wasn't an issue here, I'd trade Yandle plus the 3rd for that 2nd rounder.
I get that. Seems like Panthers fans want him gone. Arizona just doesn't have room for another highly paid D in a draft picks deal. The idea was that you downgrade Ekblad to OEL and upgrade Yandle to Hjalmarsson. You lose one really good piece that you want to keep and offload one piece that you want gone, but you add two pretty good pieces in the process.

The Stepan(50%) or Kessel (50%) for Connolly part could be scrapped. It's really only there if that's actually appealing to you all. I don't care one way or the other on that one. The idea is really Ekblad and Yandle for OEL and Hjammer and thinking of ways to make that a better value proposition for Florida.

Most likely, though, it's just a really bad proposal I made. Haha. :)

Reactions: Heldig

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Well I just let the first thoughts go. The trades are questionable but who knows, tried to be realistic but again just off the top of my head. No lines just a roster.

1. Call a team meeting to discuss the season let them all know this is unacceptable. Let players know this is not personal, this is a job and they are not doing their job. Call out players individually about what I want them to work on in the off season. Everyone has work to do and by making everyone else aware they can be a team and hold each other accountable. Let them know changes are coming. We want to change this culture and they’ve won enough in their career to get to the NHL level. We need everyone to go from the losers they are now to winners. Anyone who can’t take direct feedback is not mentally strong enough to be on this team.
  2. Outline an encouraged optional off season program. It will show who is serious about changing this culture and making this a winning program. This will involve books to read like Phil Jackson does. Hire proven winners to come in and give talks. Players may attend in person or remotely. Phil Jackson and Pat Riley can kick things off. Provide optional film studies in the offseason. All of this is optional so as not to interfere with any player association offseason rules.
  3. Meet with the leadership. Ekblad, Huberdeau, Yandle, and Barkov. Let them know effective immediately all are stripped of their official leadership and will need to earn this back. Reiterate that losing is not something we should be comfortable with and if you are comfortable with that this is not the team for you. If you want an A or a C then we need to see your commitment this offseason. You must adapt failure to do so may involve being traded or benched. Even if you have a streak, Yandle. If your not willing to put in the work or adapt let us know and we will find another place for you.
  4. Find a Goaltending coach that is a good fit for Bob. His contract can’t be moved so we’re keeping him, let’s try to fix this.
  5. Overall goal for culture change of: Losing is not acceptable, accountability, and everyone is responsible for Defensive play.
  6. Drafting philosophy: highest skill upside on the board period. If you end up with too many forwards trade them for some d prospects. Picks will be traceable if it fills a need at the present with term.
  7. Free agent philosophy no one gets over $7 million a year unless they are under 30 or will be 35 or younger at expiration at the end of the and is meets certain performance requirements. Top of the league in certain criteria such as health, goals, assists, fewest turnovers with a high toi, etc.
  8. Players looking for money and asking for top dollar will be passed over the goal is a cup not a paycheck. You may be worth 8 by the leagues standard but if they can’t be happy with 7.2 10% less to help field a more competitive team then we will pass. Look at the Heat when they had the Big3
Next step is personnel changes. Cap Space is 83M, Spending 76,484,666. Gave some cushion for my signings and trades being underestimated/valued. Also for trade deadline. I had thought about going after Reaves for some toughness.
On the chopping block: Matheson, Stralman, willing to trade a 1st with them to get better D.
If season is not going well entertain a trade involving Barkov or Huberdeau.

Forwards: 37,562,333
Huberdeau 5.9
Barkov 5.9
Hoffman RW resign 7.5x5
Connolly 3.5
Jay Beagle C(trade 2020 3rd 2021 conditional 2nd turns into an unprotected first if we make conference finals by end of 20-21 season and Yandle) 3.0
Vatrano 2.533
Saarel resign 2.0x3
Acciari 1.666
Tippett 863,333
Toninanto resign 1.5x2
Wallmark resign 2.0 x4
Sceviour 1.2

Defense 24,089,333
Brodin (Trade Borg + 2020 2nd and 3rd get 2020 6th. Would give 2020 first if necessary)4.166
Ekblad 7.5
Stillman 773,333
Weegar RD resign 3.0x4

Goaltending: 10.850M
Bobrovsky 10.0
Driedger 850,000

Total Misc: 3.983M
Recapture
Luongo
1.09 M
Buy Out
Darling
2.33 M
Retained
Demers

The only changes to the forward group is Dadonov out, Jay Beagle and Owen Tippett in, not gonna cut it.

Both these deals are sideways at best, and Yandle is not even figured in with his NMC/NTC:

Yandle for Brodin is a good start in switching up the D core but not a deal MIN would make.

I could 100% believe this would be a Dale Tallon offseason.

Sadly.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

Jefe302

Oct 17, 2014
The only changes to the forward group is Dadonov out, Jay Beagle and Owen Tippett in, not gonna cut it.

Both these deals are sideways at best, and Yandle is not even figured in with his NMC/NTC:

Yandle for Brodin is a good start in switching up the D core but not a deal MIN would make.

I could 100% believe this would be a Dale Tallon offseason.

Sadly.

Yes offense needs more but didn’t go too deep. Thought about trying to figure in getting McCann back from Pitt in the Matheson Johnson deal.

Stralmann and Matheson deals were just for change of scenery and less term.

I do think with all the money the owners have maybe they should try and poach as many elite scouts from other teams. Then whoever the GM is should have the best info. Then invest heavily in development coaches for the Thunderbirds. We don’t draft or develop very well.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

At the draft:

To FLA
Niklas Hjalmarsson (RD)
Arizona's 2020 2nd

To ARI
Aaron Ekblad
Keith Yandle
Brett Connolly
Colorado's 2020 3rd

I was spitballing Yandle for Stepan.

Yandle has two more years left on the deal but you have Golikoski coming off the book in a year. And next year the salaries (Yandle/Stepan) cancel each other out.

We get basically a cap dump in Stepan for a year. Yandle, although not a fit for us, probably is a fit (at least a better one) for a team that needs more scoring and a PP qb.

Watchu think?

Last edited:
Reactions: pantherbot

rt

May 13, 2004
I was spitballing Yandle for Stepan.

Yandle has two more years left on the deal but you have Golikoski coming off the book in a year. And next year the salaries (Yandle/Stepan) cancel each other out.

We get basically a cap dump in Stepan for a year. Yandle, although not a fit for us, probably is a fit (at least a better one) for a team that needs more scoring and a PP qb.

Watchu think?
Damn. That’s tough. If Yandle had just one fewer year...hard to say...

I take it the OEL+Hjalmarsson for Ekblad+Yandle deal isn’t appealing?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

It'll be a tough sell as Ekblad finally has grown into a top pairing Defensemen. Be tough to let him go after seeing him progress after a few years of growing pains. Also, for short term bias, he's been one of this teams consistent bright spots in a season that recently went down in flames.

And while I remember OEL being highly talked up years back, I admit I haven't followed the coyotes as much in recent years to know how he is still doing. One thing for me to follow western NFL teams, but tougher for NHL when most games are later/not shown in outside markets.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

I don't think they will move Ek who's finally coming to his own as a #1 two-way guy. It would require a massive over payment at this point imo since he's just entering his prime.

I get that Yandle's three years is tough to swallow but it's not like he misses games. But yeah, you know what he is. If you can shelter him (we can't since Q doesn't want him on the top pair with Ek) he's useful as an offensive D.

I'm trying to dress him up real nice here, take him please...;)

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

It's not appealing at all. Downgrading Ekblad for OEL isn't worth the upgrade from Yandle to Hammer.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
There is literally no chance this franchise trades the only real defenseman they have. I think Ekblad and Weegar are borderline untouchable at this point, not because they are such incredible pieces (although pretty good let's be fair), but because the state of this franchise's defense cannot afford to lose either of them. They need to add to those two names, not remove one of them.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't think they will move Ek who's finally coming to his own as a #1 two-way guy. It would require a massive over payment at this point imo since he's just entering his prime.

I get that Yandle's three years is tough to swallow but it's not like he misses games. But yeah, you know what he is. If you can shelter him (we can't since Q doesn't want him on the top pair with Ek) he's useful as an offensive D.

I'm trying to dress him up real nice here, take him please...;)
Could we add more pieces to make it fit better? Acciari and Oesterle? Or Goligoski and Connolly?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Could we add more pieces to make it fit better? Acciari and Oesterle? Or Goligoski and Connolly?

Yeah although not sure moving these pieces move the needle either way. Also both guys just signed here so not sure they would move them.

I guess I'd do the Connolly one although you probably would have to eat some salary to make the cap work.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Send something Philly's way for Philippe Myers. Big boy who can really move and has good offensive instincts. The exact kind of player we want back there but I doubt Philly moves him. He is an RFA though.

Reactions: harv33173

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Stars’ fan coming with a question...

What are the chances Huberdeau gets moved? If non-zero, what style of game does he play? Any idea if he’d be a good fit with Dallas? If so, what would you be looking for?

I have an idea of Radulov + Harley + 2020 1st for him, but I’m not sure how off base that is (possibly either way). Stars get a bona fide playmaker who could hopefully help reinvigorate the offense (we have mostly scorers and not many playmakers). Panthers get a quality replacement who’s a clear downgrade but add a top tier D prospect who could step into a top 4 role as early as next season. Plus a pick (probably below 20, to be fair) in a likely deep draft.

Thoughts? Am I way off here?

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Chances should be high he is moved because our team and culture sucks. He's not going to resign. Free agency is the only thing on his mind.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I think the biggest mistake this team could make right now would be to trade Ekblad. Our best D, legit top pairing guy, plays hard every night, and is producing points without PP time. As far as problems on the Panthers go, he's not at the bottom of the list: he doesn't even register. As much as I want to see Yandle ejected into space, no way you send Ekblad with him.

Driedger is an interesting problem. Have to try to find a way to keep him if he finishes the season strong, but then what the hell do you do about Bobrovsky? Nightmare.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

What are the chances Huberdeau gets moved? If non-zero, what style of game does he play? Any idea if he’d be a good fit with Dallas? If so, what would you be looking for?

I have an idea of Radulov + Harley + 2020 1st for him, but I’m not sure how off base that is (possibly either way). Stars get a bona fide playmaker who could hopefully help reinvigorate the offense (we have mostly scorers and not many playmakers). Panthers get a quality replacement who’s a clear downgrade but add a top tier D prospect who could step into a top 4 role as early as next season. Plus a pick (probably below 20, to be fair) in a likely deep draft.

Huberdeau plays a puck control board battle grinding game with lots of cycling of the puck. His positioning is very good at both end of the ice. His main flaw this season is that he makes very risky plays when entering the offensive zone and they often leads to really bad turnovers and odd man rushes.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

That's a fair offer, but I think Tallon would be looking more for immediate help in a Huberdeau deal. For example, I can Montreal really going hard after Huby at the draft, especially with it being held in Montreal, can you imagine when that trade would be announced and Huby comes home to Quebec? Bergevin would be a hero. I can see him offering multiple roster players as well as futures.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
That's a fair offer, but I think Tallon would be looking more for immediate help in a Huberdeau deal. For example, I can Montreal really going hard after Huby at the draft, especially with it being held in Montreal, can you imagine when that trade would be announced and Huby comes home to Quebec? Bergevin would be a hero. I can see him offering multiple roster players as well as futures.
Matheson is from Québec as well :laugh:

Reactions: Cold Cat

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
I like this idea, except...sorry...but you can get off cloud 9, face it, we’re stuck with Bobs, nobody in their right mind wants to touch that contract
Yeah, Barkov needs the C taken away... he can't handle the responsibility of leading this team and I can't blame him. He has the weight of the world on his shoulders when he plays and it shows.

Reactions: Boothinator

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Yeah, Barkov needs the C taken away... he can't handle the responsibility of leading this team and I can't blame him. He has the weight of the world on his shoulders when he plays and it shows.

I agree. He is just not the type who should wear a C. Just a bad decision by management. I mean he couldnt say no to it.

It is a bad sign when you Captain isn't going to the Ref after there was a debatable call

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad