If you were GM...

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Riffing off the other thread about who our new GM could be, what if it was you? It's April 10th, Tallon gets fired, but Pronger doesn't want to take over a dumpster fire for his first GM role. Vinnie has seen your awesome posts on HFBoards and thinks you can't do much worst than any of the other guys that have been here, plus your'e cheaper.

So, you're in the driver's seat. Team can spend up to the cap of $83M, but it's up to you, Vinnie's going to do this right and support whatever decisions you make for both the short-term and long-term. He promises the team isn't going anywhere and wants to build a winner in South Florida.

What do you do? Sell and re-build? Re-tool? Go chase Hall? Trade Barkov and Huber? Re-sign Hoff and/or Dads? Your call.

I honestly don't really know what to do with this roster. I feel like we should re-tool and give it another go, but I have so little confidence in this core at the moment. Having Bob's $10M contract means it'll be hard to re-build, and leadership qualities aside, the Barkov/Huber contracts are really good. If we can get rid of Yandle, get a top-4 dman by trading away futures, and add some better leadership...maybe? Also need a 2C. I could see a potential Brodin and Staal for futures deal working for us to fill a few needs we have.

And yeah I know we have the Armchair GM thread, but it seems crowded with a bunch of trade ideas. mods just put this in there if you think it's more appropriate.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I know what I wouldn't do; not re-sign Daddy in the offseason. His 'I don't care metre' was right near 100% last game.
It was so obvious at the end of the game, it seemed like he was getting short shifted at times. At one point he got on the ice for an offfensive Zone Faceoff, the centre got kicked out, and he made Pisser take the draw instead of him. A defensman by trade, has to take the faceoff over Daddy. And then the puck drops and the play continued, and he was floating around the ice like a cloud in the sky.

I'm done with him.

Reactions: pantherbot

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The only non-negotiable move is getting rid off Yandle, everything else I can live with.

The initial, from the top of the head move would be make a serious retool, moving on from Hubs and maybe Barkov too but that, on the hand, is giving them exactly what they want: an easy way out of jam they've themselves created. I think these guys are signalling that they don't care so why the mgmt should care about with whom they are playing with. Thus just let Dadonov walk and let those two play with Acciari or a guy like Pysyk all year. fck 'em, 'kay.

Then go all in with trying to find a top flight lefty dman. That's all it takes really, one or two moves and let them decide whether they want to feel sorry for themselves and cry to the media about how they are so fed up with not being able to proceed to the playoffs.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
If they are committed to staying in Florida? Tear it down. GM down to the trainers if that's what it takes. Something is very rotten down here and maybe the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of it all. And then hope the rot isn't Viola...

Reactions: Vilam

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
1. Depends on the cost move one or both of Yandle/Math
2. Move Huby if he wants out, trade him to get Brodin. If Huby stays, throw the 11 million from Yandle and Math at Pietrangelo.

This would be a huge shakeup in the room but it feels like it has to be done.

Ekblast

"We're still learning." -Coach Brunette.
Nov 9, 2002
Flori-duh
www.Reddit.com
Things I would do to start:

People on current roster: Huby, Barky, Bob (who wants his contract, can't move him. or can you?), Acciari, Hoffman for sure stay. The others can go, including Ekblad. I'm over you. You're not the same since the last concussion. I need to change my name.

Borg gets dealt. Don't like him, never have. Never will (just like my thoughts on Weiss)

.. After that. I haven't a clue.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

People on current roster: Huby, Barky, Bob (who wants his contract, can't move him. or can you?), Acciari, Hoffman for sure stay. The others can go, including Ekblad. I'm over you. You're not the same since the last concussion. I need to change my name.

Borg gets dealt. Don't like him, never have. Never will (just like my thoughts on Weiss)

He's been arguably our most consistent player. He keeps improving each season as well. He's become overall a better player since his last concussion! And this is coming from someone who was livid when we signed him to his current contract.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I would hope that Tallon was in charge of a new team, and trade him the Bob contract! Throw a 2nd pick with him as a sweetener. I know how much he likes his picks! haha

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Don't think a full rebuild is necessary, but there also isn't a lot if free agents that we should target.

It's a shitty position to be in, but Dale got us in this.

If we would still intend to compete with most of the current core (Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Bob), then we would need to trade a lot of picks and prospects to improve the team. First would have to get rid of the dead weight on defense by trading Yandle and Matheson. Picks would need to be attached with both to even get another team interested.

Borgstrom, Heppo should be available. Hang on to Tippett because we would need young players on their ELC.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Too much would be dependent on hypothetical trades. So there’s no way of knowing exactly how it’ll shake out.

but I’d start with trading matheson. Retain 0.75per if the sweetners along arent enough. Trade Yandle if he waives, retain 1per on him too if needed. Attempt to trade Stralman.

I’d look at zadorov, Dillon, demelo, gudas, and obviously pietrangelo in ufa.

have at least one of denisenko or Tippett, if not both, up next year (cheap ELC and I believe they both could hack it right now).

preferably resign Hoffman depending on price difference between him and dads, and how many years.

explore options for 2nd line center with the potential to design haula if he starts to pick it up in these next couple games.

main priority is to purge the defense and rebuild that alone. Keep Ekblad, weegar, and prerabky have the depth to keep stillman as a 7th but I don’t mind him as a 6th (which is more likely). Something like:

Dillon/Zadorov-Weegar
Stillman-Demelo

then find a partner for Ekblad. Otherwise weegar may stay with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: pantherbot

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Make a deal with Seattle. You take Yandle, you get Hubie. Package deal.

Sit down with Q, a totally confidential but no BS meeting. Expect Q to still be a good steward of the ship.

Sit down with Bob. Talk openly about options. What does he want his legacy to be? Does he really want to win here? What will he do to become the best he never was?

Sit down with each player. Analyze their mental toughness. Analyze their ability to drive themselves to succeed. Get rid of those who need babysitters.

Analyze what Tampa, Boston, Pittsburgh and some others have drafted over the past several years. What were they before drafting? Why did they succeed?

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Trade Yandle, release Tallas. Shakeup the assiants.. PK Was bad all year long and our PP didn't have an answer once they figured out we are going to set up Hoffman every time. Well, he is the only one shooting

Trade picks and prospect for a D who knows how to play D

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
1. Depends on the cost move one or both of Yandle/Math
2. Move Huby if he wants out, trade him to get Brodin. If Huby stays, throw the 11 million from Yandle and Math at Pietrangelo.

This would be a huge shakeup in the room but it feels like it has to be done.

I still think he stays with the Blues, and do we really want to sign him until he's 37?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Don't think a full rebuild is necessary, but there also isn't a lot if free agents that we should target.

It's a shitty position to be in, but Dale got us in this.

If we would still intend to compete with most of the current core (Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Bob), then we would need to trade a lot of picks and prospects to improve the team. First would have to get rid of the dead weight on defense by trading Yandle and Matheson. Picks would need to be attached with both to even get another team interested.

Borgstrom, Heppo should be available. Hang on to Tippett because we would need young players on their ELC.

I agree this free agency class isn't looking that great, not many upgrades for us to go after and the prices will likely be high given lack of options. I think trade is our best route, but we're going to have to give up pieces just to get rid of Yandle so we're going to have limited ammo... Really wish we dealt Hoff/Dads at the trade deadline and then saved Tro for the off-season. Ugh.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I still think he stays with the Blues, and do we really want to sign him until he's 37?

No but we need him now with this core. I think he might look for a big payday since he won the SC.

Or if not him maybe trade prospects and picks for Brodin if Minny is willing to do that kind of a deal. But I think they want a roster player back and I don't know if we have anything other than Huby /Barkov that would interest them.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
After a chat with Q, he says; "I want a more defensively sound team all-around, not a bunch of "soft skill guys. I want more hits, more block shots and less give aways." I say; "Right on chief."

Craig Smith C: He hit and block less shots than Trocheck, BUT he gives the pucks away less than half what Tro used to do. Big defensive upgrade.
Jesper Fast RW: He hits like a maniac, block shots like he's still playing for Tortorella and he is an elite PKer. He hits 4 times Dadonov's rate and block twice the shots. Big defensive upgrade.
Johan Larsson C: You know what I said about Fast, applies to him as well.

Huby-Barkov-Tippett
Vatrano-Smith-Fast
Connolly-Larsson-Acciari
Sceviour-Wallmark-Pysyk

Not nearly the same offensive talent and if Huberdeau and Barkov go down, I'm not sure we could average more than 1 goal a game, but let's be honest, even with Dadonov and Hoffman, we can't do shit if Barkov and Huberdeau take some games off (injured or being passengers).

Weegar-Ekblad
Stillman-Dillon
Matheson-Stralman

Let's just make the most unfair comparison possible, the differential between Dillon and Yandle (Dillon's stat minus Yandle's): Hits/60 +8.26 for Dillon;; Block shots/60 +1.04 for Dillon;; Give aways/60 -1.79 for Dillon. Yandle's cap hit is higher than his actual salary, so he's moved to Ottawa or Arizona and if he doesn't want to, there's enough cap space for this team to have Yandle be the 7th D. The third pairing is still a disaster, but let's assume for a moment that better team defense up front make these two not a tire fire anymore. (I tried to keep it realistic, I don't think we can move 3 cap dump in 1 offseason. Yandle, if he wants to, might be the easiest to move and he has the least upside for us.

Bob
Lehner/Crawford

I know, I know. Lehner is a stretch and it would hurt Bob's feelings. I'd still go for it. Otherwise, Crawford is also a very good option and it could be shorter term. Both Lehner and Crawford played behind a defensive tire fire last year, so if this team fails to deliver on its promises of being a (maybe) better version of the Islanders, they'll feel right at home. (If Driedger comes back and balls out the rest of the way, I'll roll the dice and go with him next season.)

I also institute a mustache policy, everyone in the organization must have a mustache all season long.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I seriously wish I was GM. I can't see it being possible to do a worse job than Tallon has done.

Gimme 5 years and I'd get this ship steered straight.

You reading this Vinnie? I have private messages disabled so just post here when you're ready for me to take the Panthers to the playoffs.

Reactions: KW

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Say what!
He's arguably been our MVP. Yes, over Huby or Barkov or whoever. He's been playing in all of the toughest situations and logging the most minutes, and still has been by far our best defenseman.
Still is young with a chance to improve (younger than Huby and Barkov, and defensemen take longer to develop too). Those are hard to come by. Ekblad is helping this team, a lot. He's not hurting it. I mean you think it's bad now, it could be much worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad