If You Got Hired As GM of Oilers

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Do whatever it takes to trade the Lucic/Russell/Koskinen contracts by attaching good assets to them. And then I'd probably trade Larsson and Klefbom to recoup some of the value lost from the first 3 trades

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Try and trade McDavid and every bit of trash for as much as I could get.

Sure you can have McDavid, but you'll need to take Sekera, Lucic, Nurse, Benning, Koskinen, Gagner,Reider, Rattie, Brodziak, Malone.

It's not the NBA, 1 player doesn't win you a championship, take your loss on McDavid, and build a team, not a pile of crap around 1 generational player.

All the while building a pipeline in non-traditional Asian hockey markets like China, Japan, Korea, and Kazakhstan in hopes of not only cashing in on that $$$ but also developing a freak of nature by playing the population lottery in a side of a world that is quickly taking to hockey.

Reactions: oljimmy

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Much like with my Kings, there is only so much a GM can do when you are so handcuffed by disaster moves made by the previous regime. I think you have to just wait it out and hope you get some really good production from young players on ELC's.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
The first thing you do is have a meeting with your core. Layout your plan for the next 3 years,explain what you plan on doing and how you are going to get there. Once that is done, they have the choice: 3 years of middling to just missing the playoffs, followed by sustained playoff success. Or ask to be traded.

That first week will give you the blue print for what you can and cannot do. If the core agrees to stay, you dump salary any way you can, get as to the floor or as close as you can. Then, as stated above, sign team friendly one year free agents that you can flip for assets. Get a bunch of PTO's who hopefully have an impact that can also be flipped for assets. Build through the draft and find balance throughout the lineup. Don't rush and take any small victory you can.

If the core wants out, you are still dumping salary but you should be able to get some NHL ready players that can slot into the lineup. As before, free agents and PTO's that can be flipped.

Edmonton really has no choice at this point. They need to start over, whether McDavid and all are there or not.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Trade for late round picks and how I luck out with low elite players

Works on ps4 so why not in real life

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Someone is going to be paid a lot to figure out this problem, so I’m going to defer to whoever is hired. Even though I hate the Oilers with a passion, with the cap going up and glaring problems with this team, at the very least, the new GM can at least identify what the issue is and go about fixing things. So I do expect the Oilers to improve next season especially with that dynamic duo.

With that said though, I do wonder a coupon things though. In order for the Oilers to get in, who goes out? The current 8 I’d expect to be good enough to get in again or at least be competitive. Colorado should be better too with all the future talent they have. Arizona should theoretically be better with a healthier roster. The Canucks should also be better with Pettersson being 1 year older and Quinm Hughes on the team full time. Chicago could be formidable with more cap space as well.

It might not all work out, but the path does look tough for the Oilers. They’ve also seen incredible career performances from all their top guys, so there’s that too. Draisaitl is an undeniable talent, but that shooting%, jeez. Chaisson with 20 goals?? Going to be very interesting to see how it all unfolds.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
If McDavid cannot be traded then you offer the next best player...Drai and your top draft pick; and spread out the talent and try and start winning before McDavid demands a trade.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
That set of former Oilers just has to go, and it just seems so far away right now. A new GM without the requisite authority to ignore the guys that Katz kicked upstairs won't cut it.

Take heart, though: Ted Leonsis finally fired the Wizards' chief incompetent, Ernie Grunfeld, today. Miracles do happen.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Fire OBC

Quadruple the budget of scouting staff at all levels. Professional, Europe, Amateur, College AHL.
Poach all the best scouts in the league for double their salary.

Hire Scotty Bowman for double what Chicago is paying him. Give him Carte Blanche to do whatever he wants.

Reactions: Leksand

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
You sit McDavid down and say look Chiarelli screwed us over, either we do this half assed and try and win now, or we re-tool with the aim of competing 2 years from now when bad money is off the books.

He doesn't like it, you get fired and end up taking the coaching job with the East Edmonton Oilers.

As it turns out, disgruntled Oilers booster Buddy Garrity informs you that Leon Draisaitl's rights shouldn't belong to Edmonton, they used a fake postal box. So now he plays for you.

I don't remember the rest of what happens. Michael B Jordan is involved somehow.

Long story short, despite the East Edmonton Oilers being terrible, the team comes together on the last game of the season to eliminate Edmonton and prevent them from going to State. McDavid and his meddling father are pissed.

Edmonton forever.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Oiler fans do not want the honest answer. They have no depth on their team and no depth in their system. Hit the nuke botton. Trade McDavid and Draistl to the highest bidder. Buy out Lucic and Russel and start over again. The team is 5 years away from being any good.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hire the best available coach and scouts, while making sure that the coach knows the plan. Other than that, there isn't much that can be done immediately. Work on re-signing Nurse and Chiasson. Pick the best player available in the 2019 draft, and leave that player in junior next year no matter what. Bring up Bouchard next year and see what's there, but send him down to the AHL if he can't play well enough to secure a second pairing spot. Do everything possible short of giving up a first rounder to trade Russell, not just for cap space but to free up space on the blueline. Give Jones and Bear a shot. See if there are any decent depth free agent options, but avoid any big signings. Just guys who could be competent third or fourth liners mainly, as in well rounded play but not expensive scorers. It helps if they have been on successful teams before. Encourage the coach to split up McDavid and Draisaitl. The forward depth is terrible and the team needs its top guns to carry lines on their own. Look into trading Nugent-Hopkins, even if it's just for two pieces, because the team's forward depth is so putrid. Give Puljujarvi one last chance with a new coach, perhaps bring in a Finnish mentor of sorts to help out. Openly tell him the situation. If he plays well that's great, if he doesn't then cut the losses and trade him for anything. Last - McDavid and Draisaitl are signed long term and can't leave no matter how bad the team is. Accept that the team is going to lose for the next two years. Bring players along the right way, hope for some good picks in the 2019, 2020, and 2021 draft and look to be an outside contender in 2022.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oiler fans do not want the honest answer. They have no depth on their team and no depth in their system. Hit the nuke botton. Trade McDavid and Draistl to the highest bidder. Buy out Lucic and Russel and start over again. The team is 5 years away from being any good.

As a Lifelong Oiler fan who grew up watching the Dynasty, Supported them through Gretzky Trade, Supporting them through the Messier trade, Stuck with them through the Smyth/Weight 'Cardiac Kids' era, The Pocklington fiascos, the near-move to Houston, and stuck with them behind this 12 year rebuild...

If McDavid gets traded my allegiance is going with him. This is a pretty common sentiment with a LOT of Oiler fans.

Supporting the Oilers at this point, is just supporting the incompetence of the worst management in NHL's 100+ year history.

McDavid is more valuable to me than the logo on the front.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The way McDavid is speaking with candour and frustration would lead me to believe one of your tasks might be to engineer a good return for McDavid when he asks for a trade.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The way McDavid is speaking with candour and frustration would lead me to believe one of your tasks might be to engineer a good return for McDavid when he asks for a trade.
Sad thing is, this might be best.

The chain reaction will be this:

McDavid gets traded.
Fans stop supporting this team.
Oilers Organization begin to lose TENS of MILLIONS a year.

Ice a cap floor team like Ottawa.

Continue to lose Tens of Millions a year for a horrible product with no fan support.

Finally then, and there after another 12 years of losing an obscene amount of money, Katz might consider firing Kevin Lowe, Craig McTavish, Scott Howson, and their cronies.

And then a real rebuild can begin.

#HereComeTheOilers2032

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
(Let me preface this by saying that the best thing for the Oilers would be Daryl Katz selling the team, but assuming that's not going to happen, I'll proceed):

A lot of nonsense here, as usual. Some facts to bear in mind:
- Craig MacTavish is the 2nd most successful coach in franchise history
- Kevin Lowe managed an underdog team to the 7th game of the Finals
- Two years ago, with essentially the same core players, they had a great season

They're not in a particularly bad situation looking forward (bar one disastrous contract... guess which!), and there's plenty of reason for optimism.

What's frustrating about this season is the "missed opportunity" aspect. All they had to go was assemble an average, standard supporting cast (such as they had in 2016-17) and the team would have easily made the playoffs. But with Chiarelli in charge, the coach being fired, and finally Chiarelli being fired, they couldn't even do that. Absolutely awful.

It's generally the sign of a mismanaged empire when nobody seems to be charge, and no one knows who to blame. Such is the case with Edmonton now. But, like defeated Germany and Japan in 1945, the Oilers could bounce back very quickly. They've done it recently -- look at the jump from 2016 to 2017.

I think Oilers fans are ready to forgive MacTavish (who didn't really do anything terrible, other than hire Eakins) and Lowe, now that time has passed and we've seen how much worse it could be (i.e., Chiarelli). Mass firing everyone associated with the franchise's past is a pointless way of delivering catharsis for 5 minutes, but it doesn't actually achieve anything or make the team start winning . If -- and it's a big "if" -- the franchise can explain to the fans exactly what MacT and Lowe are doing, and if that's something useful, then by all means keep them around in lesser roles. (Of course, if they're doing nothing important, then fire them both!)

Drafting and player management (GM) are the two bug-bears that have destroyed the team in the past few years. Needless to say, selection of the next GM is extremely important. The short-term issue to supply a couple of decent, NHL-ready, wingers who can play in the top-six, ideally.

Drafting has actually been an issue for Edmonton since 1982. But it's absolutely crucial in today's NHL. Evidently, that's why Keith Gretzky was brought in. Perhaps he will become the head of scouting once a new GM is found. That might be okay.

As far as coach goes, I assume Hitchcock is done? It's a big question as to what kind of coach they need.

But anyway, a GM coming into Edmonton isn't in such a bad situation. They already have two of the top-six forwards in the world (for many years to come), Nugent-Hopkins, Klefbom, and Nurse (needs a little work, but getting there). There are several prospects in their excellent farm-team that look great (notably Bouchard, who might be a regular from next year).

The Koskinen contract was odd, but at least Koskinen has generally played well, or at least competently. The real disaster contract is, obviously, the Lucic one. I can't imagine what message it sends to young players when that bum is getting paid 7 million dollars to score 5 goals per year.... and he never gets benched.

I really think they need to do something about Lucic urgently. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after that last year - - maybe he'd bounce back? -- but it's now abundantly clear that he's done as an impact player. He needs to go, like, yesterday.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
As a Lifelong Oiler fan who grew up watching the Dynasty, Supported them through Gretzky Trade, Supporting them through the Messier trade, Stuck with them through the Smyth/Weight 'Cardiac Kids' era, The Pocklington fiascos, the near-move to Houston, and stuck with them behind this 12 year rebuild...

If McDavid gets traded my allegiance is going with him. This is a pretty common sentiment with a LOT of Oiler fans.

Supporting the Oilers at this point, is just supporting the incompetence of the worst management in NHL's 100+ year history.

McDavid is more valuable to me than the logo on the front.

100 percent bro I would become an immediate fan of wherever he went and would torch all my Oilers gear.

It’s gotten to that point. It’s a shame they could push their fan base who’ve always stood by to this point. It’s ****ing treasonous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad